Author Topic: I had this idea... it may be silly, but what do others think?  (Read 106208 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
I had this idea... it may be silly, but what do others think?
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:08:04 am »
Forum Secret Santa

Participants so far: Wonder, judydawn, dragongirly, mcmich, jeninwa, goldfish, Droverjess, snappy, trudy, achookwoman, CreamPuff63, obbie, cookie1, katiej, Greyhoundmum, sue_purrb, *suzanne*, KimmyH, djinni373, Tenina, Cornish Cream, Halex, Emme, Cuilidh, chrissa, Yvette, astarra, KarenH, Gertbysea, Aussie Brenda, meganjane, dede, deedub, rainbow, kt2, Moptop, nazar, maddy, fruity, phatassphairy, Frozzie, SueJen, Shally, EmeraldSue, fundj&e.

I'd love to have more people join in if there are any others interested :)

Price range for presents: $10-20

Presents must be sent by: 4th December

The grand opening of presents: 23rd December

Fun rules, but only if you want to... :)
1. When you recieve your parcel, take a photo and paste it on this thread.
2. Before anyone opens presents on the 23rd, take another photo so we can see that it is still all wrapped up ;D

Present help: see this thread and hope that your giftee has posted there: http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=11507.0  ;D

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:53:47 am by Amy :-) »

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: I had this idea... it may be silly, but what do others think?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:15:55 am »
What a great idea, I have been in one on another forum, it took a lot of organising for the person that runs it, making sure that people sent there gifts and received. We had a couple of threads where people could stalk the person, asking general questions. Would it only be for Australia? as postage would be expensive for those in other country's and vis versa.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:20:32 am »
I know it would take some organising.... but look what CP did witht the retreat weekend! I think we could do it :)

I'm not sure about whether we would just do Australia... I was hoping others could help brainstorm some ideas. Maybe if we mentioned in the PM with our addresses to the co-ordinator whether we were happy to do an overseas gift?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:45:24 am »
Great idea Amy. I've been involved in work Secret Santa organisation and it's a lot of work but a great result. I would love to participate but have all ready over committed myself in other areas for the rest of this year.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:30:06 am »
I'd be in it Amy but I think you would understand if I said I didn't have the time to organise it - I would be willing to just do as I was told and send my hamper gift anywhere.  Do recipients only receive 1 gift, how does it work?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
It sounds like a lovely idea.  I'd love to hear the details - unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help organise - but love to be invloved.
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:27:31 am »
Would love to involved Amy.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:29:14 am »
Amy I would love to help you organise this.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:31:51 am »
Amy - a lovely idea!!  You can count me in but unfortunately wouldn't have the time to help out in the organising.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:03:04 am »
I'd be in to make something but I am in UK and understand postage is dear from Australia.
I did it once before on another forum a few years ago, and sent a gift but never received one. We never did discover whether it was lost or not sent?

But that's how it is and it is the spirit that matters.
Things could be small and light.

Unfortunately I can't help with organising it, but support the whole idea.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:11:08 am »
Amy it sounds like a fantastic idea.  I've been in one on another forum and in order to make it a little easier on the organizer and save on postage, we sent the gifts directly to the recipient so once they received it they knew who their secret Santa was - which was fine because people can make their signature gifts.

We had a set date by which you had to post your gift by.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:22 am »
I would love to organise this if others are interested in participating!!! :)

Basically, I was thinking that everyone who is interested in joining in, just post on this thread that you want to be involved. Then we can set a date, maybe early November, when everyone can send me their postal addresses and whether they would be happy to send a parcel overseas for our dear members over there. I can match people up and send the postal addresses to the secret santas, and then it is up to the secret santas to buy and post their gifts. And like Snappy mentioned, we should have a date that the gifts should be posted by.

Should we agree on a price limit of gifts, or is everyone happy to just do their own thing?

Any other thoughts? I'm really excited now :D

I'd be in to make something but I am in UK and understand postage is dear from Australia.
I did it once before on another forum a few years ago, and sent a gift but never received one. We never did discover whether it was lost or not sent?

DJ, I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would love to send you a present, myself included :) You will definitely recieve a gift in this secret santa game :-*

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:24 am »
Agree with snappy, the postage was direct to recipient.
Each person got one name and address only.

It was still done anonymously if wanted and there was a lot of guessing involved.

Yes there was a posting date, and a price limit. But I know with a few handmade items this was ignored.

Thank you Amy.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:33 am »
Of course, the addresses would only be shared with the secret santa. I promise you can trust me not to spread anyone's information any further. I'm not like that.

It would be fun to keep everything anonymous. I would be the only one to know, and I wouldn't spoil anyone's surprises. People could share afterwards if they wanted to :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 08:33:06 am »
I thought the general idea was going to be to make a hamper type gift Amy, I'm not fussed but can you clarify all this when you get further into the arrangements please.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.