Author Topic: Amy's Appley Fruit Cake :)  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Amy's Appley Fruit Cake :)
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:53:45 am »
Amy's Appley Fruit Cake

Ingredients:
320g dried fruit
50g chopped walnuts
75g brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
330ml apple juice
120g apple puree
120g butter
300g plain flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs

Method:
1. Place fruit, walnuts, sugar, mixed spice, juice, puree and butter in TM bowl. Cook for 10 minutes/100 degrees/reverse + soft speed. Remove TM bowl from cradle and leave to cool. (I left my mixture for an hour while I did other housework).
2. Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Grease and line a 20cm cake pan.
3. Add flour, baking powder and eggs to TM bowl. Mix for 20 seconds/reverse + speed 3. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix again on reverse + speed 3-4 until combined, using spatula to assist if necessary.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. Allow cake to rest in pan for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

members' comments

JD - This is a beautiful cake Amy - so moist.  I used a fruit medley dried fruit mix which had a lot of apple in it, used pecans instead of walnuts and half butter/half margarine as I ran out of butter.  Cooked it a little less than 1.5 hours. Great recipe Amy, well done.

thermo18 -  it was so easy and best of all yummy. Only change that I did was I put some flaked almonds on the top only because I like them. Will definitely make this again.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:18:03 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Amy's Appley Fruit Cake :)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »
Nice recipe Amy.  Wish some of my family (apart from Mum) liked fruit cake but I could always give some away to a good home I guess.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »
Thanks Judy :)
I must say I've never been fond of fruit cake. Even if I still ate cake I probably wouldn't eat much of this. But it is my SD's favourite and it was his birthday...... :-)) ;D
Do you have any neighbours who like fruit cake? Or any tradesmen coming to do any work? In my experience they always appreciate a big slice of cake ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:57 pm »
I might just make it regardless Amy as I have a few packets of dried fruit which I got this time last year when we spent a few nights in the Barossa and I visited the Angas fruit factory.  I have apple juice that I got in especially for GS today - we dilute it like cordial for him and I've got some apple puree in the freezer from goodness knows when too. It would be nice to get rid of some of those things from my cupboard/freezer.  Printing out now so give me a few days.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:16:42 pm by judydawn »

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:35 pm »
Wow, awesome, thanks Judy :)

I've always wanted to go to Angas Park... my mum and SD went to South Australia on holiday a couple of years ago and they brought back a bag of goodies from there for me and my brother ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:38 pm »
Angus Park is high on our list. I love it there, I could spend a fortune and eat a ton.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:44 pm »
JD, DW  and I regularly make fruit cake, slice it and freeze i in portions. The when we want some cake we just pull out one zip lok bag with 2 pieces in it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:01:56 pm »
I will do that too Den - we are not a real Cakey household here.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:37:03 am »
This is a beautiful cake Amy - so moist.  I used a fruit medley dried fruit mix which had a lot of apple in it, used pecans instead of walnuts and half butter/half margarine as I ran out of butter.  Cooked it a little less than 1.5 hours and we have both had a piece, buttered for afternoon tea, something we don't do very often.  DH is not a fruit cake person but I notice he ate it and didn't complain  ;D   Great recipe Amy, well done :-*

I would like to give some of this to my diabetic neighbour but I thought dried fruit was not a good thing for diabetics?  Seeing as your SD is also one and you have cooked it for him, I take it in moderation it will be OK?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 07:01:29 am »
Thanks so much for trying this Judy!! I'm really glad you enjoyed it! :D :D

My SD is type 1 diabetic. I have never heard that dried fruit is bad for diabetics, but it is much more concentrated in its sugar content since it has been dried, so like you say, everything in moderation. I think a small piece or two of this cake would be fine for your neighbour :)

Thank you thank you thank you Judy :-*

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:36 am »
That's quite OK Amy, my pleasure.  I have given some to neighbour, quite OK his wife said.  DH has since commented that he enjoyed it to because it wasn't full of sultanas which the better packs of dried fruit seem to be.  Rest is in the freezer.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16:43 am »
looks good Amy, and very easy.. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:09 am »
Very easy Robyn ;) :D

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:03 am »
Amy i am sitting down with my cup of tea and a big slice of this wonderful cake, it was so easy and best of all yummy. Only change that i did was I put some flaked almonds on the top only because I like them. Will definitely make this again  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:27:41 am »
Awesome!! Thanks for the feedback thermo18, I'm really glad you're enjoying it :D :D :D