Author Topic: Sausage Seasoning - make your own.  (Read 21551 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Sausage Seasoning - make your own.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 06:32:34 am »
oh and do you think you could easily test out flavours in a skinless type sausage before asking for them to be made by the butcher in larger amounts??
For sure - The recipes I've given are for small amounts of meat (1kg and 500g) enough for 1 meal. I then multiplied this mix by 10 and put the prepared mixes into glass bottles for the butcher to mix through 3 lots of 10kg mince. He gave me back alot of the mix - so I have some for next time.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 06:51:47 am »
ooo i have been wanting to make my own sausages..beef ones but its the casings i dont like either artificial and what the hell is in that or pork intestines yeeekkk...or some other animals!! what do you use nay nay or your butcher.. 

Umm I love the natural casings.  ;) This definition says it all really. Natural Casings, The Quality Choice

i know it can vary but what is the base mix..and the percentage of beef to spice etc or rest of filling??  I so want beef sausages and did buy books but never got around to it and got a bit put off by all that is necessary to make them yourself!
The ratio is as mentioned in the recipe - 1kg of mince to those spices. The site I got it off (link below) said this was their whole recipe - they didn't add anything else but my butcher wanted to add binder and added to his liking. I think I remember him saying it was something like 2kg of binder to 30kg of mince??? Plus he added a bit of water. Your butcher may have a different take on it - that's just how this guy does it. If I was doing it at home in a small quantity without skin I would just add a couple eggs to the meat and spice mix - nothing else. ;)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 09:22:08 am »
nay nay do you know what he used for a binder?? was it the tapioca flour you mentioned previously??  I would really interested to know what it is that he uses??
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:24:33 am by Frozzie »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 09:26:55 am »
ooo i have been wanting to make my own sausages..beef ones but its the casings i dont like either artificial and what the hell is in that or pork intestines yeeekkk...or some other animals!! what do you use nay nay or your butcher.. 

Umm I love the natural casings.  ;) This definition says it all really. Natural Casings, The Quality Choice

yes I think Ill go for sheep casings maybe they are easy enough to order and I have eaten who knows what in past sausages its just the idea of knowing its intestines that put me off but so does artificial ones like collagen..just need to put it out of my mind lol

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:29 pm »
nay nay do you know what he used for a binder?? was it the tapioca flour you mentioned previously??  I would really interested to know what it is that he uses??
He uses 'No Egg' in his preservative free sausages - it has tapioca flour and potato flour in it. I asked him about rice flour as it would have nice and cheap but he said it didn't have the binding ability.  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 06:31:54 am »
Thanks nay nay.... Didnt réalise it was thé name of a product at first and after checking thé very long list of binding agents butchers used it made me even more motivated to make my own!  Found some interesting recipes too online during m'y search... Just need to invest in a stuffer much to dh disgust! Hé is very much over cookbooks and gadgets.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 06:44:42 am »
I missed this discussion. I've been thinking a similar thing but hadn't really got to the stage of putting the sausage into casings as I don't have farm meat available any more. I thought I might just try some skinless sausages of my own and see how they go. I guess they will be sort of long meat patties.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 02:49:31 am »
I just thought I'd let you all know that if you don't have a saugage maker gadget I noticed on master chef they used a big icing bag to put the castings on and pushed the saugage mix in that way. Good idea for small amounts.  ;)
 Have a look here

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:37 am »
cant watch it...hate this new thing they have about banning overseas from watching tv series and making it for locals only...do youknow what episode and series it was so i could possibly find it on youtube or something??  thx

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:23 am »
Can't help you with that one frozzie, but here's a great pictorial one showing various types of sausage stuffers.
Quite humourous!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:04 am »
That is a pain Frozzie  :-\ It was  Master Class 4 - Fri 27th May. But it was as little as 500g of meat with spices mixed in and than literally a big icing bag with nozzle and the natural casing just fitted over the nozzle and you piped it in. They had to help it in and it only made about 2 big fat sausages.

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 05:53:56 pm »
hey nay-nay// the spanish chorizo normally is airdried.. do you do it like that ?
Live life to the fullest

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 01:02:28 am »
No - It wasn't chorizo just the flavour in normal 'bangers and mash' type of sauage.  ;)