Author Topic: KFC Mix by Chookie  (Read 38092 times)

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
Re: KFC Mix by Chookie
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 06:08:38 am »
Hey this is very interesting thread as I have been making a KFC version for years ! Funnily enough I got from the Oprah show! They revealed by scientific tests what was in KFC chicken. I madly wrote it down and tried it out.....it is very tasty! Others must like it because years later, I see it cropping up on forums ! :)

Big Bucket in the Sky Chicken

14 skinless chicken drumsticks
4 tblespons SR flour
1 tablespoon Paprika
2 sachets Low Kilojoule Tomato Soup Mix (dry)
1 tablespoon Italian herbs and spices
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all dry ingredients together. Coat chicken in the mixture.  Refrigerate and then give a second coat.  Place on baking rack or non stick paper and spray with cooking spray.  Cook in moderate (180oc) oven for about 40mins or until chicken is cooked through.  Serve with mashed potato, gravy and corn on the cob for a real Southern style meal!

Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 07:57:53 am »
Sonan,  this looks a lot simpler than my KFC revisited. I don't think the taste would be the same as the ingredients are quite different.  However if this is what you like stick with it.    The first mix that I made years ago was also from a recipe from Oprah's then cook.  It was published in a small recipe book and her "Southern Fried Chicken" recipe had lots of Southern spices in it.  When I developed my recipe,  I had 3 things in mind.  First the flavor and texture, secondly to get rid of the fat,  and thirdly to keep it moist.
I will certainly try your mix, although it looks more Italian than Southern Fried.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »
Just replying to your earlier question. Yes, I do brine my chicken sometimes. I brine whole chicken before roasting and it makes for a really juicy delicious chicken. I only do this with larger chickens as they can be a bit tougher and drier if you don't deal with them in this way.
I have brined chicken pieces before too before frying and they were superb.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02:46 pm »
Yes I have found that with our own chooks we eat they are a whole lot better in buttermilk overnight.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:01 am »
Brining is not so much marinating in buttermilk, but marinating in a large container with heavily salted water. Sounds dreadful, but that's what Chicken Treat et al does.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 07:42:07 am »
Can you tell me more about this process as we have some huge chickens I was thinking would have to be made into nuggets as they are a bit older than they should be.

Offline blissfulE

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 12:28:06 pm »
Can you tell me more about this process as we have some huge chickens I was thinking would have to be made into nuggets as they are a bit older than they should be.

This is how we brine our American Thanksgiving turkey, and I imagine the process is similar for chicken brining:

from The Best Recipe cookbook page 173 (http://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Editors-Cooks-Illustrated-Magazine/dp/0936184388)

Quote from: The Best Recipe
We prefer to roast small turkeys, no more than 6.5 kilograms gross weight, because they cook more evenly than large birds. If you prefer, you can double the amount of salt in the brine and brine for just four hours. This hurry-up brine also works with large turkeys and turkeys destined to be stuffed.

2 cups kosher salt or 1 cup table salt
1 turkey (5.5 to 6.5 kgs gross weight), rinsed thoroughly; giblets, neck and tailpiece removed and reserved to make gravy

Dissolve salt in 7.5 litres of cold water in large stockpot or clean bucket. Add turkey and refrigerate or set in very cool (4 degrees C or less) spot for 12 hours

Remove turkey from salt water and rinse both cavities and skin under cool running water for several minutes until all traces of salt are gone. Pat dry inside and out with paper towels

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 01:05:13 pm »
Thank you - and does this process make an ol' tough bird moist?