Author Topic: egg free custard?  (Read 15731 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
egg free custard?
« on: November 28, 2008, 10:00:39 am »
Anyone got any suggestions aobut how to make an egg free custard for a little boy who is allergic to eggs?  Even if I could use egg replacement in the recipe?  I had a look on the jars of heinz custard and there isnt even any egg in them! but of course its $1 a jar so gotta be cheaper to make in the TM

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: egg free custard?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 01:12:42 pm »
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
thanks brazen
okay if this is the recipe do you think just  do the sugar and chocolate and then add the milk to the  TM and cook for 7mins like the normal custard recipe?

Ingredients

* 1.5 L milk (at least 1% fat)
    * 25 gr cornflour
    * 30 gr sugar
    * 60 gr cocoa

Directions

1. Mix cornflour, sugar and cooca in a saucepan.
   2. Pour in the cold milk and mix well.
   3. Bring to a rapid boil, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
   4. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
   5. Pour into ramekins and chill before serving.

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:15:19 am »
How did you go with this recipe?  I am very interested in an egg free custard.  But also dairy free.  I would hope rice milk may work on this one?
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:00:59 pm »
my friend who hates eggs makes this, i'm pretty sure she just uses egg replacer with no problems :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:11:04 am »
my friend who hates eggs makes this, i'm pretty sure she just uses egg replacer with no problems :)

I am TOTALLY ignorant  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ with these dietary intolerances - what is egg replacer??  Do you get it at the health food shop?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:15:34 am »
I've used it in the past Thermomixer (when I was seriously dieting which I don't bother about these days) and I bought it from the supermarket.  From memory it was a powder which you added water to and it replaced eggs. Next time you are shopping, see if you can find it and have a read on the packet.  It is nice not to have any allergies though isn't it - we should appreciate that fact a lot more after reading some of the problems our fellow forum members have.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:19:25 am »
I know this is a really old topic, but I made an EF DF GF low chemical custard the other day and it was.....edible....in the way that orgran vanilla cookies are edible.  I don't think anything can taste "really really good" if it is missing all of those ingredients  :-))

100g sugar
20g carob powder
3 Tbls water
3 Tbls oil
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
500g rice milk
40g cornflour

Mix sugar and carob powder for 20 seconds on speed 9.  Add remaining ingredients, cook for 7 minutes at 90°C on speed 4

Offline belfie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 08:40:41 am »
Another post to this old topic -

I tried making both a choc-banana and a caramel custard without egg.

The choc-banana I just used banana as the replacement plus the sugar, cornflour & milk.  It wasn't great.  Froze the leftovers & they came up as quite an ok icecream.

The caramel custard http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2882.0 I used normal recipe (sub'd GF flour & soy milk but kept the butter) and used Orgran egg replacer - I thought the result tasted great, nice texture, smooth & creamy. And the caramel flavour helped... "subdue" the soy flavour.  The whole family loved it.  Had planned to freeze the leftovers but there were none!