Author Topic: Devil of a Cookbook - fundraiser Thermomix cookbook by Fiona Hoskin  (Read 18109 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
This recipe book is soon to be released.  Watch this space.  I will add a few links to recipes that are already on the Thermomix recipe forum soon.  (They may be tweaked in the book edition.)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/lifestyle/devils-angel-serves-up-tasmanian-treats/story-fn86hwxx-1226324212943

Devils' angel serves up Tasmanian treats by: FOOD DETECTIVE: Michelle Rowe From: The Australian April 14, 2012

THEY say the devil is in the detail, and Food Detective thinks one of the nicest details about a new cookbook by chef Fiona Hoskin is that proceeds from its sale will go towards protecting the beleaguered Tasmanian devil.
Devil of a Cookbook features recipes using the plethora of fresh produce available on the Apple Isle, designed for preparation in Thermomix machines.

Funds raised from the sale of the book will go to Devil Island Project, which has been working tirelessly to save the creature from the debilitating facial tumour disease that threatens to wipe out the species.

Since 2008, the project has set up four "devil islands", or security fenced enclosures, to isolate healthy devils from those afflicted with the cancer.

The project is now trying to raise $1.5 million to build an 18km double fence across northwest Tasmania, where about 500 disease-free devils have just been discovered by scientists.

"We're calling it the Great Devil Wall of Tasmania," Devil Island Project chairman Bruce Englefield tells Detective. "This disease-free population is the most genetically diverse in the state and it's in the wild, so totally self-sustainable. Scientists reckon we've got about three years before the disease reaches that area."

New Zealand-born Hoskin, who ran the Fee & Mee restaurant in Launceston for 20 years before closing it in 2009, has been a staunch supporter of the Tasmanian devil since stepping away from cooking full-time. She has joined Englefield in running the London marathon to raise funds to help save it, and has conducted fundraising dinners and events.

"It's wonderful that we have people like Fiona to help us get the word out," Englefield says. "She was my original devil's angel. She saw me on television a few years ago saying I was going to run the marathon at the age of 65 to raise funds for the devils, and the next day I got a call from her asking if I fancied having another person come to London and run the marathon with me. I jumped at the chance."

Hoskin's cookbook, to be released at the end of the month, features 90 recipes and a foreword by another adopted Tasmanian, Tetsuya Wakuda. It's available for $30 through thermomix.com.au. Englefield, meanwhile, is set to run another London Marathon on April 22. Donations can be made at www.everydayhero.com.au/devil_islanders_london_marathon

Who is Fiona?

http://appetite.butterflyinternet.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=151
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:20:46 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Devil of a Cookbook - fundraiser Thermomix cookbook by Fiona Hoskin
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:28 pm »
This book will be interesting. Can't wait to see it. And at $30 that's pretty good :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:31 pm »
$30 is good for a TMX cookbook. Let me know when it goes on sale
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »
Thanks for this information Cecilia - does the book have photos of each recipe?  I'm sure it will sell well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
Dear JD,  The book isn't pubvlished yet.  At Thermofest we were given a promo leaflet with three recipes and they had lush photos.  Wait and see. 

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 11:58:35 pm »
$30 is a great price.

Cant wait to buyt it, just anther book to put me in another cooking  dilema, too many books, too many recipes what  shall I cook........bring it on, LOL

H :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:39:18 am by Hally »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 01:48:58 am »
LOL Hally I have enough trouble deciding from the forum
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 03:39:55 am »
I know I spend hours on deciding, change my mind all the time ???

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Hi everyone.  I saw this book (from afar) for the first time this past week.  I don't know where the writer of the article got the figure of $30 from.  I had heard $40 was the price but at the moment consultants I know are taking pre-orders for it, only if people also pay the individual postage of $9.  This may not apply throughout the country but it applies in my state apparently.

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Launch is getting closer now.  So excited.

If you are on Facebook, please visit, LIKE and SHARE this page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Devil-of-a-Cookbook/234337246670214?ref=ts

Offline kylie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:14:14 am »
Apparently this book is available today. It's $40 (presumably plus postage) from thermomix aust.
Has anyone seen the contents list? They say they can't give me the contents but that it includes venison with pepper berry sauce, rhubarb champagne, lobster ravioli, cauliflower with truffle soup, anise scented cured salmon, turmeric lamb and crayfish pate.
It may be just in time to arrive for mothers day but with a family of some vegetarians and a few gluten free, I'd like to know that we are going to get good use out of the book.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:21:50 am »
Postage is $7.00. I had a look today.  :)

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:23:25 am »
I haven't touched the book yet, I just saw a display copy being inspected by others at our trade show tent.  On Monday hopefully I'll be able to get a copy at the launch and will post the contents asap after that.  People on Facebook have been publishing photos of recipes they've already baked from it.  Must had got their hands on advanced copies to tease us and get us all excited.  I'll put the links here soon but you have to be registered on Facebook to access them I expect.

http://www.facebook.com/fleurcole?ref=ts

Light as Air Spongecake

Carrot & Apple Cake

Quote from: Thermomix in Australia, on Facebook
The book is full of gorgeous recipes by Tetsuya Wakuda, Fiona Hoskin, chefs and Thermomix enthusiasts from Tasmania.

Whilst we cannot provide a list of contents we can say that you will learn to make Venison with Pepperberry Sauce, Rhubarb 'Champagne', Lobster Ravioli ' with Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette, Cauliflower and Truffle Soup, Anise-Scented Cured Salmon, Turmeric Lamb, Crayfish Pate ... plus many more!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:45:06 am by cecilia »

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:33:59 am »
That would be great Cecelia, I do like to know the content of a recipe book if I can before I buy them. Needs to be fairly family friendly to be worth it. :)

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 06:39:29 am »
Kylie is right.  Just saw this post on Thermomix Facebook page:

Devil of a Cookbook is now available to purchase! Your purchase will not only have you creating more everyday surprises but will also contribute to help the wonderful Devil Island Project. We look forward to receiving your love and support!