Author Topic: Christmas Hamper Ideas  (Read 166116 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Christmas Hamper Ideas
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2011, 04:23:21 am »
Marina, you should never be anxious about giving home made gifts to friends.  In my experience it is the hand made gift that gets the most appreciation.  I certainly love to get them.

My friends are insulted if I give them a store-bought gift, which I have had to do on rare occasions because of mine or family illnesses.

I've already had some broad hints dropped that all the candied ginger from last year has been used up...  and similar stories.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2011, 07:16:50 am »
Marina, how can you feel bad about giving a home made gift basket - the amount of work and the cost of ingredients that goes into making some of these should wipe away all the guilt.  It is not as if you just went to a shop and bought a ready made basket, our hampers are made with love and a lot of thought goes into each one for each individual.  We don't give presents to adults these days - Christmas is for children in our eyes but I will make and give a hamper to different people for no reason at all other than I want to share the brilliant things the TMX can make.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2011, 07:19:36 am »
JD any photos on this thread of any christmas hamper
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2011, 07:27:45 am »
Some on page 4 and page 6 of this thread fundj.  Make sure you all take photos this year girls :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:15 am »
thanks bella
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2011, 02:39:46 pm »
after my second son was born  my friend came with food as a gift instead of babystuff
  since l had kept all my stuff  from the first one
l thought it was great  idea  and saved it  me cooking

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 03:23:20 am »
I've never done this before but think I may for a few friends this year. A few questions.
Where do you get all the lovely jars and covers from please?
When can you start?
I think I had better go back and read this post from the beginning and I'm sure my questions will be answered. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:24 am »
I've never done this before but think I may for a few friends this year. A few questions.
Where do you get all the lovely jars and covers from please?
When can you start?
I think I had better go back and read this post from the beginning and I'm sure my questions will be answered. :-\

Cookie,
IKEA had the preserving jars at a really good price (sorry cant remember what but know it was good!)
I love the hamper idea, afraid at the moment I havent even got back into any baking so not sure if it will happen. Catching up with work!!
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:48 am »
Thanks. I have to go out there soon to look at a few things. Was going today but DH forgot he isn't 21 anymore and hurt his back at car club anymore. So I'm home making sure he doesn't do any work!!!!! Very hard. :P :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
 Give his back a good rub Cookie - hope he comes good soon  :-*

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »
Thanks. I have to go out there soon to look at a few things. Was going today but DH forgot he isn't 21 anymore and hurt his back at car club anymore. So I'm home making sure he doesn't do any work!!!!! Very hard. :P :P
Horrible bad backs, look after him.
Judy, I love your Xmas tree table decs. Very clever.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »
Thanks Denise - they are fun to make.

Bonsai

« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2011, 02:48:14 pm »
Cookie - I know Plasdene in Canning Vale sell a huge variety of jars but don't know how many you have to buy at once (although I've never had an empty jar go off  ;))
. I've often purchased inexpensive Xmas fabric from Spotlight or similar and cut out circles to go over the lids with pinking shears.

I thought of glueing decorations onto the jars with a hot glue gun but my decorating skills are zilch!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »
Cookie - I know Plasdene in Canning Vale sell a huge variety of jars but don't know how many you have to buy at once (although I've never had an empty jar go off  ;))
. I've often purchased inexpensive Xmas fabric from Spotlight or similar and cut out circles to go over the lids with pinking shears.

I thought of glueing decorations onto the jars with a hot glue gun but my decorating skills are zilch!

One of the easiest methods of making a nicely decorated jar, without any artistic skills is to buy some of the very wide "ribbon" that is printed with holiday themes, cut a length that will wrap around around the jar and glue it in place with a couple of spots of glue-gun glue.
When the jar is eventually empty, it is not difficult to remove the strip and the glue and re-use.

If you get the plastic lids for regular canning jars, you can also use stickers on the lid. 

I bought a 25yd roll of this last year, still have about half.   I also have some partial rolls purchased in past years, Santas, Poinsettias, Holly and pine cones.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2011, 08:52:30 pm »
Bonsai, this one is for the baby boomers so not sure if you fit into that category.

When I was a kid we used to be able to buy cheap "Swaps" - small colourful cut out shapes of paper that we used to glue into our swap books.  We would also swap amongst ourselves - if you had too many angels, or birds, or butterflys, or whatever, you would swap with your friends.  So, if "swaps" are still around, you could buy some and perhaps use them to decorate your jars.  In fact, I am pretty sure there is something similar still around, not as flimsy as the swaps of my childhood, but I often see small smiley faces, butterflies, dots, etc. decorating children's cases and books so perhaps a visit to a children's store may be an idea.  Oh, I just thought, I am sure I have seen something similar in our small stationer's store - probably find something in a craft store as well.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.