Author Topic: Banoffee Pie  (Read 64474 times)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
Re: Banoffee Pie
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
Thanks JD, you're a gem as usual.  I think I still might soak in a little but I think it will be gobbled up quick tomorrow ! There are other deserts though.  I realised too that I don't have any brown sugar so I've used raw sugar, do you think it will still work ? I really hope so, I've got it cooking now for 50 mins, and very loud at this time of night, lucky my kids are heavy sleepers !

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »
I think you really need the brown sugar for this recipe Debbie but if it is underway, there is no pulling out now so let's just cross our fingers and hope for the best.  It may surprise us all and actually work, I hope so.  I await the next instalment of this recipe ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 12:51:47 pm »
JD what is the time where you are? I make it 1am cost is 9pm here...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 12:54:48 pm »
11.25  here CP.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 01:07:57 pm »
Ewwww JD, was hoping you wouldn't say that ! 18 mins to go and it doesn't look like it's getting any thicker mmmmmmm

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »
Well, it did set ! But ! I only put 130gm of sugar in total, so maybe that's why (maybe I shouldn't cook this late at night hmmmm).  It wasn't enough caramel for the size of the dish though, so I am cooking a second lot now ! Going to be a late night I think.  Anddddd I found some brown sugar so this time it is exactly as per the recipe ! I will pour it over the top and no-one will be any wiser (I hope) lol.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 09:46:52 pm »
Thank goodness for that Lelly.  When you said it had 18 minutes to go, I remembered I was thinking mine was never going to thicken either.  Of course it thickens more as it gets cold so you don't want it too thick when it's in it's hot stage. It is a lovely dessert, hope everyone enjoys it and the compliments come rushing at you today.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 10:21:01 am »
The banoffee pie was a very huge success.  Not one piece left ! There were other deserts left over (there was too much as usual), but none of the banoffee pie !!!!  It had two layers of caramel a lighter and a darker one.  I think somewhere in the middle would have been good so might do say 80 gm brown sugar and the rest raw sugar next time. But ohhhhh so yummy.  Brilliant recipe ! My UK relatives loved it ! It's quite a common desert in the UK, but not all that common in Brisbane. 

My 15 yo God daughter said if I make her a whole banoffee pie then she will babysit the kids ! Bargain I think !!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 10:51:36 am »
So pleased for you Debbie.  Anyone who stays up as late as you did last night putting it together deserves the praise that this pie received.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:55 am »
Thank you Judy and thanks for your help.  I told them all I was up till 1 am lol, they said ohhh it was worth it.  I had to make a chocolate cake (made the Bimby chocolate cake) as well and by the time the kids were in bed it just got late starting last night.  I usually always make a pavlova for these gatherings, but someone was already bringing a pav, so I decided to do something different, so this was it.  I think they might ask for this instead of the pav in future lol.  At least I can make it in the Thermomix !

Offline cgonsalv

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:24 am »
Finally made this today with a biscuit base ... can't believe that the dulce de leche was so easy to make. 
Thank you all for the recipe and the hints.  It was yummy.
Chris (Melbourne, Australia) - Thermomix Forum addict

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 01:47:44 am »
I'm making this twice this week. I'm making one today for a tupperware party to raise money for the kids school fete and then a larger one tomorrow (double of everything) to take to a BBQ.  I always do the biscuit base with scotch finger biscuits. This is a family and friends favourite now ........... I'm always getting asked to make this to take to gatherings !! It's soooooo yummmmyyyyyy !
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:08:40 am by Debbiebillg »

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 10:22:29 am »
Yum, just printed this one out. I can see this as being a real hit in this family
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2012, 06:38:33 am »
Just finished making this, my caramel was really thick, should I have cooked it not quiet so long? I let it go for the whole 50min, I noticed the caramel thicker up a lot in the last few minutes of the cooking process.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2012, 09:53:26 am »

Have no idea what these even taste like. Hope everyone (or at least most) like it :)