Author Topic: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?  (Read 70693 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:00 am »

I made raspberry jam yesterday and turned out perfect using half a pack of jamsettar to 500g fruit. I always use the kleen view jam covers and then place the lids on top. And I wash the jars then rinse them with clean water then place them in the oven on 100 degrees until they are completely dry (including the lids.)
I have never had any jam go off or mouldy this way.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline darls

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:15 pm »
Thanks for the speedy replies!

Will leave it as it is for now and see tmw then.

I forgot to add that I did dry the jars in oven, but not lids (just fished them out of hot water).

Cheers - off to bed!

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2011, 02:24:08 pm »
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have not used any Jamsetter or Jam Sugar, as I haven't seen them here in our South African shops. I just weight out the fruit, equal with ordinary white sugar, and add the lemon and it has worked 9 out of 10 times. I have some fresh prunes, do you think I could use them for making Jam? My parrot does not seem to enjoy them and neither hubby!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »
I would cook most jams at 100 or Varoma.   can use these  covers, just make sure the jam is cold first. I think I have posted a recipe for Pineapple Jam.  prunes would make excellent jam or chutney.  Cook first in a lettle water and push through a strainer.  Use 3/4 volume of sugar to pulp.  Yum.   jamsettta is an Australian product I think.  lemon is usually fine .   my grandmother used white vinegar.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:42 pm »
In the U.K.we can buy Certo that helps with the setting of Jams and Marmalade.We also can buy Jam Sugar.
http://www.certo.co.uk/index.htm
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:46 am »
would it be worth me recooking my plum and berry jam tomorrow so i can sterilise the jars as i didn't realise that was important before and had only washed them out. is it too late to save it from going mouldy without doing that? i made the jam this afternoon and its been in the fridge since then

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 11:42:20 am »
ladybird,  Maggie Beer says she never sterilizes her jars as she pours the jam into them boiling hot .   if you have done this them you could risk it.  If not remove the jam, reboil it and sterilize the jars.   What a both,  but better than wasting your lovely jam.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 11:18:46 pm »
I wouldn't panic, Depending on how fast you will use the Jam. My family love Jam and eat it pretty quickly. I made some blackberry and Logan Berry Jam on the weekend. I just rinse my jars and place them in the oven at 100 until they are dry and pour the jam straight in the jars while hot. This also prevents the jars cracking as the Jam and jars are around the same temperature. Never pour hot Jam into a cold jar. Then I cover with jam covers and place the lids on the jars. I have never had Jam go mouldy.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 12:25:11 am »
well it was very hot - prob 10-15 mins off boiling. pleased i'm in good company with maggie beer - i felt so ignorant!

i didnt use jam covers either - just the lids..

i have 3 jars so might look at recipes to use it in baking sooner rather than later :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:00 am »
Lots of lovely bread to spread it on. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2011, 08:39:20 am »
Made a superb batch of blackberry jam today in the TM.
Totally ignored any recipes in the EDC and just put in blackberries & equal weight in jam sugar (it has added pectin) and let it boil for a bit.  Set like an absolute winner!
I've never used the jam sugar before, but I won't hesitate to use it again.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2011, 05:25:40 am »
That's pretty much my standard recipe Amanda. I'd rather pay a bit more for the jam sugar and have a success.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2011, 04:21:52 pm »
I wouldn't panic, Depending on how fast you will use the Jam. My family love Jam and eat it pretty quickly. I made some blackberry and Logan Berry Jam on the weekend. I just rinse my jars and place them in the oven at 100 until they are dry and pour the jam straight in the jars while hot. This also prevents the jars cracking as the Jam and jars are around the same temperature. Never pour hot Jam into a cold jar. Then I cover with jam covers and place the lids on the jars. I have never had Jam go mouldy.

Actually that method is sterilising them, Dede.  Anything from 60oC upward sterilises - it's just how long it takes that differs.  I can't remember the exact timings now - but I know that the method you're describing is quite a widely used one.  So you shouldn't ever have your jam go mouldy, or family members go ill  ;D

That's the method that I used to use, but now I use the baby bottle steriliser that I don't need any more for my baby.  Bottles on the bottom shelf, lids on the top - works great and is no hassle.  Given how cheap they are to pick up 2nd hand, I don't know why I never thought of it until it was staring me in the face!  I guess it's more to store, though.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:25:49 pm by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2011, 04:23:11 pm »
That's pretty much my standard recipe Amanda. I'd rather pay a bit more for the jam sugar and have a success.

Same here - I used to do it the traditional way, but this is so much less hassle.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:23 pm »
now that's a great idea, I used to have a microwave sterilizer but that would be no good for metal lids though but would be fine for the glass jars.