Author Topic: Recipe review, Virtual Bacon Dust from In the Mix.  (Read 30364 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Recipe review, Virtual Bacon Dust from In the Mix.
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:19 am »
Julie,  if you like the Bacon Dust and think you could use 2 lots.  I would give the red one a go.  The expense is in the Dashi,  not in the sesame seeds and brown sugar. 
Where I buy my seeds and dry fruit,  the shop is run by a Lebanese family.  I often take some KFC powder for his family as they like it.  I asked him if he would like to try the Bacon Dust.  I explained that there was no bacon in it,  but he declined as he said that they didn;t have a taste for it.  I had assumed that there might have been a market for it with people who cant eat pork for religious or ethical reasons.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 09:59:32 am »
Thanks Chookie, if I like the dust I will use the fish one as well, that way I can see what the difference is in taste too I guess.  :)

Offline DK3000

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2011, 06:30:59 am »
I made the dust today, it really tastes like bacon!

I bought 60g of Hon Dashi for $6, and just made a half batch.  This is still quite a lot!

Was also surprised to see "MSG" staring out at me from the list of ingredients, but, it is Japanese stock and MSG is used like salt in Japanese households, maybe not such a surprise.  I suppose that's why it tastes so good  :P

Anyway, my reason for making it was to use as bacon flavour for Bacon Macarons with Maple Buttercream.

Had a false start first batch, I mixed in some of the Bacon powder into the macaronage, which caused it to not dry out well, then it spread and cracked in the oven.  2nd time I just sprinkled over the top when they came out of the oven,  The powder flavour is still quite stong, they taste delicious! 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2011, 06:42:40 am »
DH, interesting.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2011, 07:30:05 am »
DK3000 what lovely looking macarons. I want to try and do some red and green ones for Christmas.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2011, 07:39:21 am »
Any one know where I can buy Dashi in Perth, have tried 2 local Asian shops, but no luck.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline DK3000

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:58 am »
Hi Jeninwa,

Here is a link to an online store, this is the one I bought, just a dollar or so more expensive.  A search for "dashi" brings up a few options.  Also, maybe with the Japanese writing it's hard to spot the packages in your local stores?  Maybe print out a pic and take it with you to check again?

DK

http://www.asiangrocerystore.com.au/ajinomoto-hondashi-seasoning.html

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2011, 02:58:08 am »
Thanks DK3000 for the link, I would prefer a Dashi without MSG 621. Will keep looking.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2011, 06:33:49 am »
I dont think you will find one jeniwa..i have looked for ages in both english and frendh and they ALL have some form of msg..think its just part of their culture and also if its a more natural form of msg its better than chemical msg but could be wrong there!  if you do happen to find some though let us know but I dont like your chances!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:13 am »
Dear Chookie and friends,  I thought you'd be interested to hear some personal news.  My daughter is moving to be a volunteer in a Moslem country.  In her final hours with us at home, she regretted that she wouldn't have bacon for a year.  Not a problem!  What a good Mum I felt (thanks to you, Chookie) to give her a little pack of Virtual Bacon Dust to see her through a few weeks at least.  Thank you, George and Dani also.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:44 am »
My pleasure Cecilia.  Tell your daughter,  best wishes from us.