Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 165769 times)

Offline Russell

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2010, 11:58:41 am »
I find the EDC hard to locate recipes in, even after 18 months. I now have those post-its that stick out, in mine for favourite things. They are rather dog eared but it makes finding things easier.

Funny cookie, we're doing the same thing, although ours are only a week old. The FAILSAFE Cookbook is even worse. Thank goodness I'll be putting them into Living Cookbook, where they will be only a few keystrokes away :)

Russell.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13:35 pm »
I mark the recipes , that I have tried and like,  with a X n the index.         

Offline sarah.j

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:18 pm »
SJ I find the EDC is quite a "fixed" product,  is yours of pouring consistency?

It most definitely does. I have used all types of milk from full cream, skim, soy, etc and that doesn't affect it either.

Offline UYaz

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 18, 2010, 03:19:58 am »
Hi everyone,
I've had my TM now for a few weeks and it's completely changed the way our family shops, cooks, bakes and eats. I just love it. Anyway here are a few of the tweeks I've been making to the Everyday Cooking recipes. (I'm not scoring them, because they're all 5/5 in my mind hehehe).

Recipe Name: Ginger Beer
Book Name: Everyday Cooking for Every Family p.26
Tweaking details: I know this is really a "personal taste" type recipe, but just FYI I use 200 grams of sugar and only 120 grams of ginger.
Review: My husband loves this (he used to be hooked on the store-bought stuff) and now I know why it's called "ginger beer" (if you make it you'll see too).

Recipe Name: Porridge
Book Name: Everyday Cooking for Every Family p.36
Tweaking details: For a single serve this is how I make it.
Ingredients: 70g rolled oats; 410g milk, pinch salt
Method: Place oats in TM bowl & pulverise 5 secs / 8
Take the bowl off the engine and give it a good shake, or get the spatula and stir around to 'loosen' the oats.
Add liquid and salt and cook for 9 mins at 100C on Reverse 1.5 speed (NOT speed soft).
Transfer to bowls and eat (with optional sultanas and spoon of sugar).
Review: If you don't loosen the oats after milling them, I find you end up with uncooked pockets of oats at the bottom, and watery oats elsewhere).

Recipe Name: Bolognaise Sauce (Ragu)
Book Name: Everyday Cooking for Every Family p.64
Tweaking details: We are Muslim and eat halal so we drop the Pancetta (although you could use fakin' bacon I guess) and red wine. Instead of the wine I add 50g water mixed with 1tbsp of TM stock.
Instead of tomato puree I just add a can of diced tomatoes
Must add herbs: a pinch each of sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil. If using dried herbs put in at the point in which you add tomato ingredients. If using fresh herbs, about three minutes from the end seems to do it.
Instead of putting the MC lid on an incline, my consultant taught me a trick of putting the steamer/strainer basket on top instead of the MC lid.
Review: This is soooooooo yummy when you add the herbs to give it flavour.

Recipe Name: Apricot Chicken Risotto Style
Book Name: Everyday Cooking for Every Family p.86
Tweaking details: Only a little change here. If you are diabetic and are trying to avoid High GI foods, I suggest swapping 200g of Doongarra Rice (instead of 300g Arborio). You still get that risotto type feel and I find 200g is plenty for this recipe.
Review: This was quite sweet with the apricot nectar so I wouldn't make it that often as a diabetic. I am not sure whether the rest of the ingredients lowers the GI enough. But anyhoo....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2010, 08:52:34 am »
Sarahj if I want custard that is of pouring consistency I just reduce the flour/cornflour. Even in a 'normal' custard I use 10g less than specified.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2010, 05:51:13 am »
I've trawled through the 17 pages of this thread and noted all tweaks and better recipes for Tenina's new edition EDC.
Keep 'em coming!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2010, 09:30:13 am »
I've trawled through the 17 pages of this thread and noted all tweaks and better recipes for Tenina's new edition EDC.
Keep 'em coming!
You're a legend MJ.  Hope you're getting a free book out of this  :-* :-*
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2010, 09:44:32 am »
Yes I think a free book is definitely deserved.  What do you think Tenina??  ;)  ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »
Yes, Tenina has promised a free book.
Not that I'm doing it for a free anything. I just want to make sure that the TMX is presented in the best light, marketed really well, and that means a very good recipe book.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »
Good work MJ - you'll possibly be able to write the book  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline keffirgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2010, 02:40:50 am »
Gluten free book
 sesame slice

hi there this didn't work out for me. It doesn't gel, just stays as a dry mixture.

can you tell me what is missing from it?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2010, 01:48:33 pm »
Sounds like it needs more butter. I'd add 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Toni

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2010, 05:24:10 am »
I just made the potato cakes (rosti) from the EDC. I made them with half potato and and half orange sweet potato. I also added a red onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, fennel fronds, s&p, 1 egg and 4ogms cornflour. I minced at speed 6 for 5 secs. This left them still with a chunky texture. (I actually put sardines mixed with TM mayo and toasted pine nuts and extra lemon as a topping for the cooked cakes but light sour cream would be good too!)
They were so delicious  - a little sweet due to the sweet potato -and had a really nice texture, and I wonder if they could be adapted as a base for a dessert style dish?

Offline janeeknits

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:02 am »
So when is the new edition of EDC coming out? I'm really disappointed with the errors I have to say and some have been really embarrassing like when I tried to make porridge for my Dad following the recipe - we got luke warm soup.  He went to work with no breakfast whilst a quick search on here allowed me to get a terrific result in the end but he didn't see that.

Offline Toni

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:51 am »
Yes, it's hard to 'uncreate' a bad impression. There is little evaporation so liquids do need to be limited - without causing sticking.
You may have found organic rolled oats more suitable by the way. Did you use quick oats?
Also, has anyone tried the gluten free coconut cake - it is dreadful - I think there must be a misprint. It is solid and tastes of bicarb. Unfortunately I made it twice as I forgot to mark it in the book.
Also, when I recently dropped some books off to a client he remarked that the books have a cheap presentation and do not really reflect the special quality of the machine. What do you think?
I've got my grumbles off my chest - I couldn't live without my wonderful TM and I want all aspects to be top class!