Author Topic: Storage options for bread and butter  (Read 6157 times)

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
Storage options for bread and butter
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:49 pm »
I've been making the bread and butter since getting my TM a few months ago. I need some suggestions for how to best store them though. At the moment we put our bread into a plastic storage container and I've started to notice a plasticy taste once the bread has been put into it. I'm pregnant with my third at present so that may account for my heightened sense of taste but still not a good thing if I can taste a residue. After weeks of banging on about it hubby now admits it does taste different once stored.

So, how do you successfully store your bread? We go through a loaf every day or 2 so long term storage isn't needed.

Some problem with the butter. I know a real butter dish would be perfect but have had difficulty finding one to buy from the shops. Any pointers?
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Storage options for bread and butter
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 05:12:56 am »
you could just save an old plastic bread bag etc and store bread in when it has cooled down. For the butter dish, I have one of these which can be purchased from most kitchenware shops. 
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:53 am »
Butter I freeze in small plastic containers which I remove as needed.,   Bread,  if used within a couple of days is stored in a thick paper bag.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:28:58 pm »
I am going to keep my bread in the fridge in summer - am considering buying a breadkeeper from Target that is a vacuum so it expels air and apparantly keeps the bread fresh longer. Butter - House usually has a butter keeper. Or try Essential Ingrediant too.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »
I've found that my bread keeps really well if I wrap it in a clean tea towel and then place it in a large plastic container.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »
I store my bread in a natural birch bark container and the butter in a pottery crock.
Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 07:30:05 am »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I've now been to my local cooking shop, 'The General Trader' and have bought a Maxwell & Williams butter dish and a retro tin bread box (huge, with a few air holes at the back). Only $50 for both. No plasticy taste at all now. My problem was that I was looking everywhere BUT cooking shops (a nightmare with 2 little ones in tow). Had a rare outing without them though so off I went to find a solution  :).
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:28:37 am »
Good for you thermie crew.  I can just imagine the damage children could do in one of those shops, I make sure I carefully move around the displays myself!  Hope you made the most of your free time and had a good browse. I went into a Harvey Norman store this afternoon to buy a microwave and was amazed at what they have in there.  Also found a jaffle maker like the one I've had for many years (doesn't cut it in half) and have been searching for a replacement everywhere.  Must go back and do some more browsing in that store.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 11:50:34 pm »
  Must go back and do some more browsing in that store.
A true shopper and a woman after my own heart  ;D ;D
I love kitchen and also spice shops and can spend hours just browsing.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:25:46 am »
Me too. I spent ages in Herbie's shop when I was in Sydney. Do we have anything like that here VHJ?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:20:04 pm »
I don't think so Cookie1. Kakulus Sisters is always worth a visit for the aromas but not in Herbie's league. I'm pretty easily pleased though. The indian grocers in High Road will do me for a quick spice fix :D :D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:17 am »
I know what you mean, I have an Indian grocer where I do my weekly shopping. Corner Warton road and Amherst.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/