Author Topic: Washing Machine Powder  (Read 154170 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Powder
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2010, 08:23:35 am »
I keep checking Woolies and it's gone - not even a tag on the shelf  :( there are two others close by so will have to try them next week as I am almost due to make another batch  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline boonderoostudio

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:05 am »
I keep checking Woolies and it's gone - not even a tag on the shelf  :( there are two others close by so will have to try them next week as I am almost due to make another batch  :)
I've been through the same process and it took 2 months before I found Borax on the shelves again.... it was a new brand and in a different coloured container... green and the brand was Bare Essentials  made in Australia. I have found that I need to grab washing soda when I see it after making my last batch because when there is Borax on the shelf there is no washing soda and when there is washing soda there is no Borax. :P So stock when see!!! :) :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2010, 02:39:00 am »
Luckily, I haven't had trouble getting either Borax or Washing Soda from my Woolies. I'm probably the only one who buys it!! I have noticed the new brand of Borax.

With Lux flakes, I guess it is pure soap, it's just been 'flaked'. I guess I'll have to use that until I get around to making unscented uncoloured soap!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2010, 06:12:04 am »
Thanks girls, I have no problems getting the soda and the grocery manager didn't really have a clue what borax was let alone where I might find it so will have a look again and look for the new container and see if it brings me any joy!!  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2010, 09:03:28 pm »
im sure your all aware but me being me i just have to let you know that a number of websites i found when trying to source where to buy washing soda stated in ALL of them that the stuff is quite dangerous and a strong irritant, should never be handled without gloves, lets off toxic fumes when mixed with water and is a general hazard, also dangerious breathing in the dust which is apparently easy to do with the crystal form but says it is environmentally friendly.have to say it kind of put me off making this but i did come across a bunch of different recipes using also washing soda but some others using bicarb soda (not as strong as the washing soda but does the same kind of job???)

http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/

does anyone have any problems with this and it just concerns me as its a powder so what do you do put glvoes everytime you want to wash the clothes and dont breath in??  Also how does it effect the thermomix and using food in it after??  I just thought that homemade products are supposed to be safer and better for you??

i spend my days around my young children so if im stating something totally stupid (ongoing baby brain...several years running now) just feel free to put me straight  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2010, 05:22:02 am »
Frozzie, I never add the borax in my TMX. I always put it into an icecream container to do that. I keep the container specially for that. So far I've never noticed any fumes or even smell really. But I do have a very open area.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:45 am »
Thanks for bumping this topic frozzie, it reminded me I was going to do batches to put into my Christmas hampers this year. I have just made a double batch. I'm going to give practical things and not choccies etc this year as everyone seems to get so many of them over the festive period.  Basically just going to show people how diversified the TMX is.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 05:11:20 am »
This works extremely well for me, and is a nice double size mixture:

2 x Velvet (or pure) soap, roughly chopped
1 x Sard (or stain removing) soap, roughly chopped
400g Borax
630g Washing Soda

Blitz soap for approx 5 seconds on Speed 7.
Blitz all ingredients together on Speed 7 for approx 10-20 seconds until it is evenly combined.
Use 2 x heaped tablespoons per wash.

this makes a nice big container full that last our family about a month. I will never use commercial powder again, as not only is it a superior product but it is very economical. IMO (and I'm no expert either) i wouldn't think there would be a huge risk using the borax in the TM as the bowl/blades are made from surgical steel so there wouldn't be any contamination. Whilst its is whizzing around, just be careful not to inhale close to machine. When it is mixed in the water, the risk would be fairly low as the lid is on, and only a very small quantity is being used.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2010, 05:13:41 am »
This is the same recipe that I use and find it very good.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
I use sard in mine too and think it works very well.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2010, 11:33:54 am »
Just wondered if anyone has tried nything with soap nuts? I have just got a trial batch from soapinanutshell.com.au, and have been using them whole, but apparently you can grind them to use as washing powder, and also use them to make liquid soap, shampoo, cleaning products etc.
I have found no difference between these and my usual powder (the ecostore front loader one) so far, they seem to be more economical as well.
Might be one to play with - maternity leave in a few weeks so will let you know if I get a chance!
deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2010, 02:01:25 pm »
I haven't read up on washing soda but Borax is very safe.  In fact I was taking a tiny bit orally when I remembered to - good for your bone health - but since they changed the packaging & I don't know whether it's just Boron (which it used to be) I'm not quite as confident.  Must look into that now I have my life back.............................

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2010, 02:05:26 pm »
nice to see you back posting to JaneeZee  ;) ;)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2010, 01:24:34 am »
Thanks Kathryn  :)

Had a bit of a hiccup with passwords so I couldn't get on with my work computer & didn't have time at home.........MM sorted me out however & now watch out.................... ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2010, 02:24:13 am »
Yes, it's great to see you back JZ - some of our 'oldies' do seem to go missing these days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.