Author Topic: Brigadeiros (Brazilien Candy)  (Read 8877 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
Brigadeiros (Brazilien Candy)
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:20 am »

Hello :) :)

I decided to put this recipe because it is a much appreciated candy here in Portugal!
They are very sweet and in my calculations have more or less 7574466575749 calories ;D ;D - But they are soooo delicious!

In order to understand its origin I found this on Wikipedia that  is very interesting:

"Brigadier (Portuguese for Brigadier, known in Rio Grande do Sul the black boy, literally" blackie ") is a simple Brazilian chocolate candy created in the 1940s, and named after Brigadier Eduardo Gomes, and its shape is reminiscent of that of some varieties of chocolate truffles. This candy comes from Brazil but has traveled far and wide. It is very popular in Spain, Brazil, Chile, and Portugal. The candy is usually served at parties and is very popular among both children and adults.

It is made by mixing sweetened condensed milk, butter and cocoa powder together. The mixture is then heated in a pan on the stove or in a microwave oven to obtain a smooth, sticky texture. If made on the stove, it is ready when the mixture does not stick to the bottom when the pan is tilted.The candy is to then is rolled into balls which are covered in granulated chocolate, that is the way generals are served at children's birthday parties.

Brig can also be eaten unrolled, with a spoon or used as a topping or filling for cakes, brownies and other pastries. "

Name of Recipe:
BRIGADEIROS

Ingredients:
1 can of sweet condensed milk
15gr of chocolate powder
5 g of cocoa
40 g of butter

Preparation:
Place all ingredients in TMX and set 12 (if you like them more consistent leave for 14 minutes) - temp. varoma speed 4.
Remove into a bowl greased with oil and let cool (best bye night).
Make Little balls (I grease my hands with a bit of Oil), wrap in chocolate vermicelli and place in molds

Photos:

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Brigadeiros (Brazilien Candy)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:44 am »
Thanks Isi - sure that they only have half of the calories - they are small  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:04:29 am »
and if you are standing up and with friends when you are eating them then NO calories. ;) ;) ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 04:43:45 am »
Thanks isi,  may have to make some for our Australia Day party.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »
Sounds so easy I will have to give these a try. I will make these for the next party so we can eat them standing up with friends and get thinner with each bite... ;D

Because I am not a baker and I don't know about this yet... I am curious about the difference between chocolate powder and cocoa  ??? and why this recipe calls for both. Hmmm... maybe chocolate powder has dried milk solids in it? I have several different ones here but they all say "cocoa powder..." Hmmm.... I'm sure it is an important aspect for success so will do some research about this and try them soon. Thank you!

Cheers!
ThermomixBlogger Helene

ps - I have been doing too many recipe experiments with Mascarpone lately... need to do some chocolate now for 'balance'.  ;) (Where is the emoticon with the chubby cheeks? You know... a little yellow face that grows fatter and explodes? That's the one to insert here!)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »
Hi Helen!

Uiuiuiui! 8) 8) 8)
This is now  a difficult question to answer in English ...
I will try my best - hehehe
Here in Portugal are sold Pure Cacao Powder and Chocolate Powder!
Since cocoa is made from pure cocoa without added sugar while the Chocolate Powder is sold already prepared with sugar Vanila to add the cakes ....
Chocolate in traditional media has 30 to 40% cocoa!
Since you have no Chocolate Powder you can do it easily with the TMX with a normal  ChocolateTablet.
I hope I explained minimally, perhaps someone with more wisdom and better English can explain better!

I would be very happy to see one of my humble recipes made by you :)

Bye isi

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »
Sounds like hot chocolate powder might work. 

Or if it needs to be more solid, maybe grind up real chocolate.  I think that might be what Isi means by chocolate tablet.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:02:39 am »
Chocolate powder has sugar added, cocoa does not, as isi explains.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:50:00 am »

Exactly - you can crush a normal chocolate in to powder!
 ;) ;)