Author Topic: Singapore, shopping for Asian kitchen items  (Read 27062 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Singapore, shopping for Asian kitchen items
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2012, 10:04:40 am »
It is outrageous Gert a total rip off!!!
We all have 3G  on phones but no sim on my ipad. I will use my iPad a lot so don't mind paying for 1 device. Need it for business. 
DD will use 3G on her phone and can use my iPad if she wants. GD just plays games so no problem there.
They must make a fortune out of it!

If you have an iPhone you can tether your iPad to it.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2012, 10:07:20 am »
Wow you know so much. Will it tell me in the hints for iPad app?

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2012, 10:08:30 am »
Wow you know so much. Will it tell me in the hints for iPad app?

Not sure but you can google it.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2012, 10:12:19 am »
Ok thanks.

Will save me $100  ;D

More shopping or food and wine ;D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2012, 10:17:48 am »
I don't have an iPhone but my daughter's partner tethered his iPad to,his Telstra iPhone  which has unlimited data and uses both to run his Real Estate business . It may need an app. I as also told I could use my iPad sim card in an IPhone if I had one but not so sure about that.

In any case I paid only $150 for  12 months  of 3G  and 12 GB. I use it all the time and in 9 months I still have $100 credit!

Gretch

Mama Fergie

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:00 am »
Just googled it and sounds promising. As I have signed for 24 hours of wifi I will try tethering tomorrow at 5pm here and wont pay for anymore wifi. Sounds relatively easy and hopefully will be successful.
I just find iPhone too small for lots of emailing and other business related stuff.
Thanks so much Gert. You have so much knowledge  :)

MF :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »
Hally I bought a limited edition LV wallet about 9 years ago. I had it checked when we were in Melbourne last year and they commented on how new it still looked. I thought I was quite hard on it! In this time I would probably have gone through at least 2 cheapies. I'm positive it will last at least another 10 years and because it is an LV I will be proud to use it when it's old. They are worth every cent.
There is a nice LV store in King St, but Singapore and Melbourne have a better range.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Lemongrass

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:28 pm »
Lemongrass, thank you. What do they sell there? At that time n the morning, I can grab a cab & leave the boys in bed. Just googled it its abig shopping centre, thank you :)

They sell literally EVERYTHING. But in a messy, keep-looking-it's-in-here-somewhere kind of way. Mustafa was initialy a single shop but they they expanded on and on, and now the "center" takes up most of the street.
Items I've purchased over time (in no particular order): rice cooker (much cheaper than at Takashimaya), all sorts of cooking utensils and storage boxes, yoga mat, nail clippers (Samurai with built-in nail collector, who would have thought!) torchlights, various indian spices including cassia leaves I couldn't find in Delhi... If you know the Japanese chain Daiso, well think of a huge, overstocked and overstaffed messy Daiso. I realise I'm not being very encouraging, but it's worth a visit.
And yes, you can definitely go there while your family is sound asleep.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
safe tripbackhomeH
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:40 pm »
Hally, I can't believe you are coming home tomorrow , the days have flown by here.  Hope you've all enjoyed the break.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:06:08 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2012, 04:06:54 pm »
Cookie, I wonder if there's much of a price difference between Singapore and here.  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »
Cookie, I wonder if there's much of a price difference between Singapore and here.  :)

When I first went to Singapore in 1965  there definitely was a big difference in price and the quality of goods and they were much much cheaper. You were ushered into a store, sat down and brought tea or beer. Things were brought to you  And you never walked out with anything. The goods  were beautifully wrapped, all the paper work for  customs was done for you then  they delivered it all  to your hotel .

I was last there in 2011 and found the prices on quality goods were higher than Australia but there are far more choices of goodies. They could not care less about you as  a customer.  No service, no charm and no beer.

You will find stuff in Singapore you will never find  available in Australia which is the fun of  shopping there. Now the quality varies and there are so many fakes and copies  even in the best  stores that you have to be pretty savvy  to get a real bargain.  A very savvy friend of ours came back from Singapore sporting a Breitling Bentley $9,000 watch  he bought from a very high end  store for only $6,000. When he went to his local store in Sydney to get it valued to add to his house insurance they found it had a Russian movement and was worth less than the box it came  in. Even the well travelled smart shopper can be taken in . Shopping is very hard work but a lot of fun when there is an over abundance of "STUFF"!   ;D

Gert

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2012, 10:34:58 pm »
Ouch, waste a $6000.

Have fun Hally. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
Ouch, waste a $6000.

Have fun Hally. :)

More to the story.  He travels frequently so took it back. No fuss. Money back plus  another watch  not a Breitling but real .  Hush hush watch I would say.

Gert

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:02 pm »
Have a a safe trip home Hally hope you did some good shopping