Author Topic: Get rid of other appliances?  (Read 17891 times)

Offline runnybabbit

• View Profile
Get rid of other appliances?
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:50:36 am »
Okay, so about a month into my Thermie ownership, and I just don't use our blender, stick blender or food processor anymore. I just need some help convincing myself to donate them to poor uni students or something. So -- have you gotten rid of your other appliances, and do you regret it? Or do you still use your pre-TM appliances from time to time?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of other appliances?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:04:28 am »
I haven't got rid of mine simply because they will be given to DD when she shifts out. I never use the rice cooker, stick blender and blender any more. I still use the bread machine occasionally and my hand mixer.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:04:30 am »
 :( i have added to my collection, sad but true
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:33:02 am »
Hi runnybabbit,

Congratulations on getting your Thermie.

When I first bought mine I thought that I should get rid of all the things I used before TM. I'm pleased though that
I kept my Kitchenaid and my stick blender. Even though I have a second bowl, I find the stick blender useful when I cook several dishes. For e.g. if I forget to grate something small before I start cooking. The Kitchenaid is good for making large quantities of things especially large cakes and pavlovas.

Hope that helps  :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:58:24 am »
Ok I never had any of that except a blender which I  gave away. I consider my oven a slow cooker but everyone is talking about a pressure cooker. BWAAAAAAA!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:13 am »
I got rid of my food processor and cheap and nasty mixer. But I would love a new better mixer (like a kitchen aid ) I still have my bread maker but don't use it. If I put it up in the roof I will have room for a mixer :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:22:25 am »
I've actually been using my stick blender lately to whip up a little bit of cream for something rather than beat the whole container of it. I never used to use it for whipping cream so don't even know what made me try it but it is so simple and then it rinses out under the tap.  Gave the food processor and rice cooker away though, certainly no need for them anymore.  Keeping the mixmaster although I don't use it very often to justify keeping it - I think the fact that it was one of the first things I bought myself many years ago when I returned to work is what is making me hold onto it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:37 am »
i got rid of nothing and i have a lot of stuf!! i still use al of them occasionally for something or other....i have even bought EXTRA things since I got my TM

dont believe the hype!

Offline thermo18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:40:09 am »
When I got my Thermo I boxed everything away, for DD and DS when they leave home. Its been 6 months now and I haven't touch the box since, now just waiting for the kids to leave  ;D

mcmich

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:41:59 am »
I did give the food processor to my mum although bought a tefal fresh express for grating and slicing. I can't part with my crock pot but it is very old and I'm considering a multi cooker or new slow cooker and pressure cooker. I still have and use my bread maker. While the TMX gives a much better knead, if I'm cooking a regular loaf I will knead in TMX and cook in bread maker - especially in summer to save heating up the kitchen. Nope doesn't look like I've given up anything. Oohh and I want a vegetable spirally thing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:01 am »
 :) Hi I got rid of so much in appliances when I bought my thermomix 2 1/2 years ago.
I have bought a nu wave 5 in 1 pressure cooker though.
I also have a kitchen aid mixer.
Robyn :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline runnybabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:39 am »
Thank you everyone. I think I'll get rid of the blender and keep the hand blender, hand mixer and food processor -- if nothing else, for slicing. Although we also have a mandoline (?) slicer thing... Ah well.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:52:21 am »
Mcmich, do you like the tefal grater and slicer? I nearly bought it but then decided not to since it looked like it was an awkward two hand operation. Am I right?

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »
I still use my old breadmakers (to make the dough) when I am making several loaves of bread.  So I can have them ready for the oven at the same time.
And my mix-master makes an appearance at times.  Old habits are hard to get rid of. ;)
And I still use my very tired rice cooker.  When it dies I want to replace it with a New-Wave 5 in one and get rid of several slow cookers I have.
I haven't used my stick mixer or my blender since TC arrived and I have boxed up a heap of pots and pans to go to the op shop. I make so much in TC and steam things much more than I expected I would.
The microwave now hardly gets used.  :-\
My oven now is in constant use tho. ;D
I have had to add a marble slab to roll cookies on   :-))
And I seem to need a lot of new cake tins lately  :o
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
I kept everything!....and there is no plans to rid any of them.   I would suggest to wait a little before off loading....you may be surprised when you look to use some things, I know I still do, and that's using the TM on a daily basis.
.........EAT CAKE!