Author Topic: How many doz eggs do you use in a week?  (Read 13779 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: How many doz eggs do you use in a week?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:21 am »
My chooks are ISA Browns,  little egg laying machines.  Very ordinary looking eggs.  They lay 1 a day for a year,  and then mostly stop laying or lay an egg every couple of days.

I must remember that variety Chookie.  We are trying White Rocks this year (for some larger eggs) but they have gone broody.  We don't have a rooster so it is futile and a pain (no eggs).  Any tips to discourage broodiness??  I have carried them off the nesting boxes and closed the hen house today.  They were very cranky with me.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 02:15:49 am »
Chelsea, I found a great thing online once about broodiness - basically putting them on a raised grid surface (can't think how to explain it, metal plate like chicken wire/gate) so they can't get comfy to nest. But never had to do it so can't quite remember.
Our Isa's are also our best layers.

Offline nelleraye

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 03:13:01 am »
I have 6 Isa Browns- They are rescued Chookies- X Battery Hens. Their feathers are slowly returning which is good.
We generally get 3 or 4 a day and on the odd occasion get 7. Id say we would use about a dozen (just the Two of us)
I like to give my mum eggs too as she happily brings lotsa scraps for them too!

I made the Almond Pav from the EDC the other day (first time ever) and I stuffed up the first batch so that was 8 eggs then only had 6 left so ussed them for the second try. I think its because I used milled raw sugar- too heavy i think. Soo my hubby enjoyed scrambled eggs the next day- 14 egg yolks- needless to say he doesnt feel like eggs this week!!!

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 06:58:10 am »
Andiesenji, I have egg envy  ;D ;D.  I love my chookies and have a few different varieties, but mostly get brown eggs.  I have a lady close by who breeds lavender araucanas.  They are beautiful unusal looking chooks - for those Harry Potter fans their heads look like a hippogriff, and they have lovely bluish feathers.  I really want some blue eggs for my basket.  We go through about 3 doz a week here and at the moment have to buy eggs  :P :P because I have a couple of mummies and another who wants to be a mummy.  We had a rooster but he got eaten by a fox  :'( :'(, so for one of my broodies I got some day old chickies and popped them under her at night.  The next morning she had adopted them and looked very pleased with herself.  JUst hope not too many are roosters and in a few months my egg production goes up.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 12:58:08 am »
I spoke to Sam, my egg man a while ago and he has sixty+ laying hens right now.  He has a dozen Orphington/Barred Rock crosses that lay the most, red-brown eggs.  Eight Leghorns that lay white eggs, 15 Araucanas that lay the aqua eggs and 8 Americaunas that lay blue-green eggs and about 10 Araucana/Orphington crosses that lay either buff-speckled or pink eggs, sometimes a hen will produce both colors - three of these crosses lay the buff eggs with red speckles, very pretty.  He recently got some Wyandotte hens that are just now reaching egg-laying age.  They are almost as large as the Orphigtons. 

These all produce an egg a day and often the Orphintons will produce an egg every 15 to 18 hours - he calls them his egg "machines" but all his layers are free range, as are the guineas.  He has both the Buff Orps. and the Blacks.  Mature they can weigh up to ten pounds. 

He has several other chicken breeds but they are not all reliable layers and as he is building his flock, he sets those under a broody hen.  Some of the fancy chickens are broody but don't lay well (silkies, for instance).   I've seen some of the fancies and they really don't resemble "normal" chickens.    He trades with other breeders and has a rooster that is extremely colorful.  It hatched from an egg that was supposed to be from an African jungle fowl  that was shipped from a breeder in Florida.  He has not yet turned it in with the hens.

Sam called me a while ago and said he has counted all his chickens.  He has in total 183 of which 44 are pullets and the others are fancy "show" chickens that are kept separate from the others, except for some of the older ones that are his "broodies."

He also has fifteen guinea fowl, too many ducks to count, 5 geese, and in his game bird houses 50 pheasants, and 200 quail, 100 partridge, plus a few other odd ones and two peafowl who have the run of the farm and which, along with the geese, are the "watchfowl" as they give a loud warning whenever any strange animal or human appears. 
All his chicken runs are completely enclosed with wire mesh because there are coyotes around and also hawks that prey on loose birds. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:16:55 pm by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 05:03:02 am »
We have two chooks atm and will be getting some more at Christmas time from my sister. We get two some days and 1 another day and depending on where I'm at with cooking depends on how many I use. Really don't know what quantity of eggs we use a week.

I ended up with kidney problems many years ago from eating too many eggs a day for too long so am careful with how many I eat - obviously too much protein in my diet for my kidneys to cope with at the time.

Offline naz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 05:39:46 am »
Ahh yes the little chickens are growing by the day, Roxy! They are very cute!!
Not sure how many eggs we use in a week but definitley depends on how much cooking I do. I had too much stuff in the freezer when I got my thermie so haven't been able to have a really big cookup!!! (2 of us don't eat enough!) Will need to before christmas though.
I get a variety of coloured eggs too, mostly brown with a few blueish ones. Have cross bred a few of the chooks so some of the eggs are a real green/brown/blue! Thankfully the inside is the normal yellow coloured yoke! Have had a couple of friends not want the blue eggs....funny!!