Author Topic: Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice (with photo)  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice (with photo)
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:20:48 am »
Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice
Converted from the Diabetes Cookbook. The recipe actually calls them bars rather than a slice, but I've made it several times now and find it way to crumbly to eat with fingers. Much better in a bowl with icecream or custard ;)

Ingredients:
180g dried apricots
2 Granny Smiths, peeled, cored and chopped (I cut my apple into quarters, and then sliced widthways)
150ml apple juice
Zest of 1 orange, grated (can do in TMX before starting recipe)
250g butter or reduced-fat margarine, softened
75g brown sugar
180g plain wholemeal flour (or white if you prefer)
1 tsp baking powder
200g rolled oats
60g chopped nuts, optional (I used macadamias and chop by hand)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a slice pan.
2. Put apricots, apples, juice and zest into TMX bowl. Cook for 10 minutes/80 degrees/reverse + speed 1.
3. Holding a teatowel over the MC, gradually turn dial to speed 8 and puree for 10-20 seconds. Set aside to cool.
4. Without washing TMX bowl, beat butter and sugar for 10 seconds/speed 4. (Make sure you have turned the reverse function off!) Scrape sides of bowl and beat for a further 10 seconds/speed 4, or until light and fluffy.
5. Add flour, baking powder, oats and nuts to bowl. Briefly incorporate using spatula and then knead for 1 minute/reverse + interval speed.
6. Press about 2/3 of the mixture into base of prepared pan. Spread apricot and apple puree over the top. Break remaining mixture into little pieces and sprinkle over the top to give a "crumbly" look.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Cut into pieces while still warm and leave in pan to cool completely (unless you're serving it hot with ice cream or something else delicious like that ;D).

I leave my slice in the pan and keep it covered in plastic wrap in the fridge. When I want to serve it, I just put a piece in a bowl, zap it in the microwave and then add the extras ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:31:36 am by Amy :-) »

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Crumbly Apricot and Apple Dessert Slice (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:24:15 am »
Looks yummy Amy. Looking forward to trying when I buy apple juice next.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 11:24:57 am »
That looks pretty good Amy and it's handy to have a dessert suitable for diabetics - maybe you could put a copy in Special Diets.  I find I always take longer to find something suitable for a diabetic visitor.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27:43 am »
Thanks Judy and Kimmy :D

Good idea Judy, I'll post a link :)

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 12:07:47 pm »
You really are the Dessert Diva Amy. I'd be unable to move if I cooked (and ate) all the desserts that you cook! :-))

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
LOL ;D Thanks Alexis :D I'm a very caring and sharing person so I try to make things for friends too. It doesn't all stay here ;)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:01:38 am »
Yummy Amy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url