Author Topic: Sunbutter  (Read 14160 times)

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
Sunbutter
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:01:06 am »
I get emails from "Elana's Pantry", (she makes everything gluten free and uses Almond flour), but from her email she had a link to someone else's and in their site they had some recipe with SUNBUTTER!! Well I didn't know what that was so googled it...it's sunflower seeds made into a butter. Looks and tastes like peanut butter. So I found some recipes and then tweaked it and changed it a little to be able to be made in the TMX!!

Sunbutter:
2 cups roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (I roasted mine in the oven for about 10 mins on 180c)
4 tablespoons rice bran oil
2-3 tablespoons agave nectar

Put in TMX for 20 secs on speed 7. Scrap down sides of bowl and do it again. Keep doing this till its the consistency you like. Taste and add more agave and oil if desired. It's very Yum!!

I'll try the recipe using the sunbutter and if its good I'll post it too.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sunbutter
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:22 am »
Sounds pretty healthy to me terstoo.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:39 am »
yay! thanks for that, they have one at the supermarket called freenut butter which has nasties in it, this will be handy for school and kinder and daycare where no nuts are allowed!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:44 am »
Fantastic for nut free schools! I'll pass it on to peeps at a school near me. I'm always stressed when I go there as I always forget and have to think about what I've got in my basket for my lunch!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Miranda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:24:19 am »
Sounds yummy.

Could you toast the sunflower seeds in the TM?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:47:27 pm »
No, not hot enough. Best toasted in the oven.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:08 am »
Oh thank you terstoo!!  :-*

My eldest son will love you!  ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline terstoo

• View Profile
    • gluten free goodies
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:55 am »
Glad I can offer some recipes on here. Everyone has been so helpful to me and all the recipes I've tried have been fabulous!! Since I've made this, when I go to the fridge for something else I'll grab a spoon and have another "taste" just to make sure it still tastes as good as it does!!! ;D

Offline Kristy-Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 05:16:36 am »
yay! thanks for that, they have one at the supermarket called freenut butter which has nasties in it, this will be handy for school and kinder and daycare where no nuts are allowed!

We currently buy the freenut butter. What are the nasties? I was wanting to start making my own anyway. Im not sure how to reply to posts.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 01:33:19 am »
I made this a day or two ago and it is the best sunbutter recipe I have tried so far. I toasted the seeds in a frypan until they were just tinged with gold (if you toast/roast for too long it dries them out too much). I also added a small pinch of Celtic salt.

Anyway don't know if it was because I toasted the seeds or if organic seeds are different to conventional ones but my butter dried out in the fridge even though I had added more oil until it was spreadable when I made it. Next time I will take Chookies advice and zap the seeds to a meal first, and then make sure it is even more "spreadable" by adding more oil or maybe some macadamias which have a high oil content.

However this spread is delicious and the flavour is even better after a few hours in the fridge  :) Lovely on toast with banana and cinnamon, on crackers with apple or on vege sticks, especially carrot sticks. Found some recipes that include sunbutter so I might give those a go too.  :) :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 03:01:43 am »
Djinni,  sounds like you are well on the way.  I have a recipe for Spicy Capsicum Dip, that includes nut butter.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:55:38 am by judydawn »

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 01:48:58 pm »
Bump ;D  This sounds really good!  Looking forward to trying it this weekend!