Author Topic: GF Flour request  (Read 11889 times)

Offline Depome

• View Profile
GF Flour request
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:37:59 am »
I've just found Cyndi's recipe on here and I will have a go at that, at some point. But I'm interested in making a more basic GF flour, one that mimmicks the commercial versions. I have two commercial brands here at the moment, and both list maize, tapioca, brown rice and guar gum in that order. I'm wondering if anybody has played with these ingredients and found a good ratio to replicate the commercial GF flours. At around $7.50 p/kg for White Wings, and $6 p/kg for Orgran there is no way that I'm going to be buying them regularly  :P And I'm thinking that since it is only Miss 5 who seems to have gluten OR wheat issues (undecided currently) we can really only afford to to provide HER with GF alternatives: it will likely be too expensive to bake GF for the whole family. UNLESS making my own turns out to be quite affordable...!

Has anyone else read this article, called Bread Dread? It's quite intriguing... http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/bread-dread-are-you-really-gluten-intolerant

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: GF Flour request
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:57:01 am »
Depome,  have you tried contacting either companies,   some are quite generous with their information.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:04 pm »
The GF book says a combination of 3-4 different GF flours will work best and suggests

250g Rice
250g Tapioca
250g cornflour
2 tsp potato

or 200g rice
100g soy
100g potato or tapioca or maize cornflour

I tend to do 1/2 rice, 1/4 millet and 1/4 buckwheat  or sub tapioca in there somewhere. Really easy, just experiment a bit.

The best ever pancake mix is 1/2 rice and 1/2 buckwheat! Yum.

These are all for cakes/muffins etc - the only GF bread that is edible that I have found is Cyndi O'Meara's. Good luck.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:59 am »
Thanks Zebraa, that's a great start for me to try :-)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:06:18 pm »
I have looked in my Fast and Easy Cooking and the gluten free flour recipe is the same as your EDC.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:54:18 am »
Awesome bread article btw - thanks

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 05:41:54 am »
It's certainly an interesting idea, hey? Once I've established if Miss 5 is Coeliac or just wheat intolerant I might finally get around to making sourdough and then testing that article's thesis.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 05:57:09 am »
We went 6 months Wheat free (GF was tooooooooo hard)  for my 4yro and have now introduced wheat back in and taken all additives and preservatives out and that seems to be doing the trick! I am still interested in soaked and sprouted grains though - we have changed our foods and it is really great for the whole family so I'm glad we needed to.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:02:38 am »
We're not massive gluten eaters really, not because I'm diverse with my grain mix, but rather because we don't eat tonnes of complex carbs. My children and DH take sandwiches with them each day, and that's fine for Miss 5, but if she has toast for/with breakfast, or a cupcake during the day, or pasta/pizza at night, she has stomach pains and dodgy stools. It seems to be related to quantity, which certainly implies intolerance, but then changing exposure when allergic to gluten also causes the intestine to heal and become damaged in a cycle.

It's not too hard to accommodate GF at the moment because I make a lot from scratch so I'm in control. Cereal is a little challenging, but then we only have it 3-4 times per week. I made GF pikelets for us all this morning (not worth making two batches) and we had pizza last night, but this time I made each DD their own pizza, and Miss 5 had a GF base made from GF White Wings flour. So that was no real drama either - our base went in the breadmaker, Miss 5's went in TMX. Going back to school will be another matter I guess as the only GF bread that I've made for her so far was hated  :-)) I don't particularly blame her - it's just SO different. She's never been big on bread though, and I gather there is often a natural avoidance of glutenous foods when one has the allergy. We have plenty of rice cakes around and that's the only real supplement I think, unless I get in to the habit of making rice paper rolls daily - doubtful  :D She's never responded well to porridge which is a bit of an odd one since it's technically GF, but always compromised/impure. There can only be traces of gluten in oats really... but perhaps there's another food chemical in there that I don't know about...

It's going to be quite a journey, I'm sure. I'll give it a couple more weeks, then give her glutenous grains again and avoid wheat to see what happens. We can cope fine on a spelt/rye bread that I used to make, and that will certainly be easier than making glutenous white bread several times per week, and trying to find a GF bread for Miss 5. I ran out of eggs, but now that I have more I intend to make Cyndi O'Meara's GF bread. I'm actually missing our chooks more than I am gluten, since their eggs seem to play a substantial role in binding GF foods, not to mention they're a fabulous breakfast.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »
depome if you are going to have her tested for coeliac disease (which i highly recommend) then it's best NOT to go gluten free first. being GF and then introducing gluten back into the diet of someone with CD can make them horrendously sick.

not to mention that some people don't have any symptoms or side effects so getting no reaction from her means nothing...
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:23 am »
I don't see any point getting her tested to be honest. GF diet is the 'cure' and it's not like she's going to get tonnes of money thrown at her for a diagnosis  :P so I'm not bothered really. If changing her diet is the only fix then that's what we'll do. No way am I going to the hassle of biopsy for proper diagnosis, and don't need the trauma of blood test for indicative results when we can prove to her and ourselves that GF gets rids of symptoms. I know you can't test them when they're GF, but as I said, I'm not really bothered about the test.

Offline Costa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »
Hi,
I found out myself and my 2 girls (2.5yrs and 13months old) are gluten intolerant about 6 months ago. I have found it a real challenge changing our diet. Here are a couple of low gluten (not gluten free) ideas to try. we seem to be able to tolerate a small amount of gluten.
Breakie - I have started making my own granola as the comercial ones don't taste nice or are loaded with preservatives (1/3 oats, 1/3 puffed rice, 1/3 cornflakes, chopped almonds and brazil nuts, shreded coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and seaseme seeds. Melt some butter, coconut oil and honey/maple syrup in a saucepan and pour over, mix. Put in 180 deg oven for 30 mins, stirring ever 10 mins. Cool. Add in chopped dried fruit of choice i.e. sultanas, crasins, apricots, apples, dates). Yum.
My girls also like fruit smoothies for breakie (banana, berries, pear, natural yoghurt, honey/maple syrup, milk).
Lunchs - we like eating Corn mountain bread wraps, frittata's, zucchini slice, soups, rice paper rolls, dinner leftovers.
Good luck!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 12:27:05 pm »
if you use a lot of the corn mountain bread (as my family do - and I haven't worked out how to make them yet!!) or any of the mountain bread range,  you can order them direct from www.mountainbread.com.au for $2.50 a packet and free postage. There is a minimum order of 8 packets but they also freeze really well. It is a huge saving if you use them a lot  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 03:47:07 pm »
What is the supermarket price Kathryn?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 01:55:32 am »
if you use a lot of the corn mountain bread (as my family do - and I haven't worked out how to make them yet!!) or any of the mountain bread range,  you can order them direct from www.mountainbread.com.au for $2.50 a packet and free postage. There is a minimum order of 8 packets but they also freeze really well. It is a huge saving if you use them a lot  ;)
Thanks Kathryn. I've just ordered as we get through a fair bit as well. Their recipe book also has some nice ideas.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.