Author Topic: Rum and raisin icecream cake  (Read 2666 times)

Bonsai

Rum and raisin icecream cake
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:38:36 pm »
DH wanted this for his birthday. I got a general idea from a recipe in Feb 2016 edition of Delicious magazine.

I baked a chocolate mud cake in a 22cm springform tin and let it cool. I cut it in half horizontally and put one half back in the tin. I softened 2 liters of vanilla icecream (I didn't make it myself as this recipe calls for 4 liters and I didn't have time...) and added 2/3 cup of toasted dessicated coconut and 2tsp (I think!) of coconut essence. I spread this over the cake and put it in the freezer.
I added 2 tbs of rum to 2 cups of seedless raisins and left them to soak.
Next day I taped another springform tin side to the first one to make a very tall tin. I put the second half of the cake on top of the coconut icecream. I softened another 2 liters of vanilla icecream and stirred through the rum soaked raisins and spread this over the cake before putting it back in the freezer.
On the day I was serving the cake I soaked 1/2 of a titanium strength gelatin sheet in water for 5 minutes. I mixed 80ml thickened cream, 2 tbs icing sugar and 35g of Cocoa powder in a saucepan and warmed it through before adding the drained gelatin leaf.
I whipped 220ml of thickened cream (the rest of a 300ml container) to soft peaks and folded through the chocolate mix. I used this to ice the cake after I'd removed the tins (they come off quite easily, rub tin with a hot cloth if anything sticks). Put cake back in freezer until ready to serve.

I put strawberries splashed in a bit more rum (because DH is only going to have one 60th birthday) but you could decorate with anything you like.

This makes a very tall rich icecream cake. I served 10 people and used just over 1/3 of the cake. You could use any type of cake and icecream mix that you like. I think a denser cake would work better than a sponge. The original recipe used crumbled up Christmas cake.

No photos, too busy eating!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rum and raisin icecream cake
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:05:25 am »
It sounds delicious Bonsai and I'm sure most of the elements could be made in the TMX. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 03:14:10 am »
When I saw Rum and Raisin you had my attention. Then the word icecream you had my complete attention. With the word cake I was gone. This sounds truly delicious. I can see why it was enjoyed so much.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:52:56 am »
A very special cake for your DH's Birthday Bonsai. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.