Author Topic: TM5 Australian Basic Cook Book: Recipe review Cream of Tomato Soup page100  (Read 13942 times)

Offline portwestie

• View Profile
I am in week two of using my Thermie and I made this soup last night and it was the best tomato soup I have ever tasted.  It was the first time I have ever tried to make tomato soup and I couldn't be happier with the result.  I followed the recipe exactly in the Basic Cook Book.  I did use tomatoes that we can get here In Port Macquarie from Ricardoes.  They are grow hydroponically and taste sensational so maybe that is why it tasted so good.  
It was so easy.   :)
Linked CC
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:31:01 am by Cornish Cream »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I made this today for DH's lunch and for him to take to work.

I'd planned ahead and bought some lovely romas about a week ago and have had them ripening in dappled sunshine on my porch until they were just right.
I did my usual; cooking the onion and garlic in a frypan first and also added the tomato paste and cooked that for about 1 min before scraping the lot into the TM bowl.  I then poured a little of the stock into the frypan to release any bits/flavour from the base of the pan and stirred over a low heat for about another min then poured into the TM bowl and carried on with the recipe from there.

Instead of the cream I used light & easy evap milk which worked well and I served with a couple of slices of French stick with melted Gruyere cheese on top. 
DH loved it and the taste I had was really good.  :D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Mmn, that picture is mouthwatering...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm salivating.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
Yummy JulieO, I will give the recipe a go
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gorgeous Julie, fit for a Queen.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Thanks girls  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
After seeing your lovely photo Julie I must try this soup.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline charlieboy

• View Profile
Pleasantly surprised by this soup.  I'm not usually a tomato soup fan however this is really good :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Yes our family enjoyed it as well. Made it with home grown tomatoes and it was very flavoursome. Easy and quick.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
JulieO, that photo of yours is so tempting, strange that my recipe did not turn out the way you all describe it...
I may have to give it another try, probably I messed up with the measurements, it was too watery and also sour due to the tomatoes I used...

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
thank you postwestie and JulieO.

As I am trying to find any food that will go down well with DH and as he had requested soup even though it is 32 degrees I just made this soup.

I normally do not like creamy  things or really that creamy things don't like me, I tasted it before  adding cream and it was really zingy and tasty. Asked DH if we could leave the cream out and he declined! Anyway I could not be bothered defrosting some cream but added that awful Philly creamy cooking whatever it is figuring the soup might be zingy enough to cope and it was really really good. God knows what is in that carton of stuff but it must be more than a year old, had been opened and was still fine. Tastes disgusting but worked with this soup.

For DH's I dropped in some small chunks of cheese for added value as he is all skin and bones and it is difficult to find foods he will eat due to his teeth being so lose.

I am missing meat so the other day I had to sneak a lamb chop into the Airfryer which is in the garage. I ate the chop while going for a quick walk as even the smell of cooking makes poor DH nauseous.  After hogging down  that lovely greasy chop I too felt nauseous. Serves me right!

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Nice to reaad your review Gert.  Glad DH enjoyed the soup.  I have recipe here and the tomatoes so intend to make this before the weeks out.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm glad you enjoyed the meat Gert. You probably ate it quickly. 
I'm glad DH enjoyed the soup, the numbers in the Philly cream stuff maybe helped to fortify him.  :D
We don't have any tomatoes this year as the heat got them so I will have to buy some. Probably when we get back from Canberra.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/