Author Topic: Homemade Milo (GF DF)  (Read 123211 times)

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Milo (GF DF)
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 12:11:15 am »
thanks meagan and jo, i have just found the "show new replies to your posts" thing (very computer lingo) so i had just been searching for things that i couldnt remember where i had posts. so this has made it so much easier. hence the long awaited reply!
thanks nicky
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 10:50:26 am »
I just cannot wait to try this, one batch without the cocoa and sugar to add in cakes and things, and then the other as some milo. I can tell this place, and my thermomix,  is going to be life changing, seriously.

Offline Jabejak

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:01 am »
Well I will also be another one trying this recipe. I refuse to buy Nestle products and miss having Milo.

Now I won't have to..... :)

Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline crisford

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:31 am »
Made this today and it's a bit too sweet for me - next time I might put 3/4 cup sugar instead of a cup. But what a great recipe, the kids LOVE it and I'm thinking it's going to be great for them at afternoon tea just to get some extra nutrition in before their squad swimming. Thanks! :D

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »
I love this sprinkled over vanilla custard (made with rice-almond milk), and my 9 yr old loves to have toast with homemade nut butter and this milo sprinkled over the top! (Well, I don't know about sprinkled - I think he uses about a quarter of a cup for a piece of toast!!!  :D )  So yummy...
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 12:14:40 pm »
Sounds good on toast Jo.  I'm working on nut-free nutella at the moment - delicious!  Just have to get the texture and process right.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:22 am »
Oh, very good Cathy!!  Let us know what you come up with!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »
missed the grinding the linseeds and sesame first as i read the other link and so it was perfect except the linseeds werent ground up..still quite good though and mine looked great...someone way back mentioned it was quite white but mine wasnt at all and i know linseeds come in brown and white so maybe it was that as i used brown linseeds..anyway thanks and maybe someone can alter the oth'er link

:)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 01:21:32 pm »
I've kind of glossed over this in the past because I'd never heard of milo (do we have an equivalent in the UK?) but I'm going to give it a go in the next day or so.  I have an underweight 9yr old and I think he'd love it ... :)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »
my grandparents were from the UK and the equivalent drink is probably akin to Aktavite. Milo tho is more chocolately and dare I say sugary, but knowing this forum and not having made it myself (but hope to in the near future just to compare), this recipe will be a very healthy alternative.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2011, 05:34:46 pm »
OK, hands in the air in confession ....  I've never heard of aktavite either!   :-))

But thank you CP63 for your explanation :)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 02:16:49 am »
Eek! Ovaltine then  :D is probably a closer match. One of those drinks you mix with milk and stir around, and when you have finished you have a big milky moustache on your top lip  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 03:44:44 am »
Milo has granules, rather like coffee granules, with a choc malt taste. My kids always ( when I bought Milo) poured milk into a glass then put a few spoonfuls on top and didn't mix it until it was half gone. Think that's a typical Aussie kids way of eating/drinking it!!
This yummy homemade Milo is a lot darker and richer. First time I used rapadura sugar but last time I only had raw. The rapadura one was a lot nicer. Still haven't tried it as a hot drink as I'm thinking the nuts wouldn't dissolve and it would taste a bit bitty!

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 11:02:50 am »
hools, you're right, the nuts don't dissolve, whether the milk is hot or cold.  Definitely give it a go as a hot drink.  Any residue in the bottom of your mug is delicious to eat, maybe even the best bit (not like bits of coffee  >:()
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 07:17:59 am »
I have been wanting to make this since I first got my Thermomix (just under a year ago now) & today I finally made it.  Why did I wait?   :-))  This is fantastic & the kids LOVE it!!  ;D
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix