Author Topic: Lebkuchen Traybake  (Read 4414 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Lebkuchen Traybake
« on: September 06, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »
These are usually found in the shops in Germany at Christmas time, although my family happily eats them all year round.  They're a sort of spiced honey cookie.  Sometimes they're baked on rice paper.  They're usually round biscuits, but this is a quicker tray bake version.

150g candied lemon peel
150g hazelnuts
150g soft butter, in pieces
250g milk
2 tbsp honey
4 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
3 tsp lebkuchen spice mix *
270g sugar
350g flour
2 tsp baking powder (the original recipe says 3 quarters of a packet, as it's sold in little packets in Germany.  As I remember, a packet was the equivalent of 2.5 tsp)

* Lebkuchen spice mix:  this can be difficult to find outside of Germany.  The mix consists of cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, coriander, cardamom, ginger and mace.  Looking at various recipes, the quantities in a mix might typically be
1 teaspoon     Cinnamon
1 teaspoon    Allspice; Ground
¼ teaspoon    Cloves; Ground
1 tsp                 nutmeg
¼ tsp               coriander
¼ tsp               cardamom
1 tsp                ginger
¼ tsp              mace

This, of course, rather unhelpfully makes 5 tsp, when the recipe calls for 4.  But I guess we could scale it up and keep it in a jar.

1.  Put the lemon peel and nuts in the tm bowl and grind 25 secs / turbo

2.  Add the butter, milk, honey, eggs, vanilla sugar, spices and sugar.  Mix 1 min / speed 5

3.  Add the flour and baking powder and mix for ca 15 secs / speed 5, using the spatula.

4.  Put the batter into a well greased baking tray and bake for 20 mins in an oven preheated to 200oC

Variations:  Instead of lemon peel, use orange peel.  Try drizzling chocolate over the lebkuchen once they're baked - delicious.

Translated from German thermomix club booklet, special issue 2001.

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lebkuchen Traybake
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 01:33:24 pm »
Thanks Caroline - great idea to have a tray rather than the little biscuits - easier to just cut them into little bites after baking.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.