Author Topic: Food for thought"Thermokids"  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Sam4

• View Profile
Food for thought"Thermokids"
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:45 am »
I really like my thermomix and it certainly has its place in my kitchen. I have to say though that I still love the traditional way of cooking. My children have grown up and can all cook pretty well. My concern is that  will some children be growing up only knowing how to cook in the thermomix, not being taught how to cook using other more traditional methods. Will the next generation be known as the "Thermokids"

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: Food for thought"Thermokids"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:45 am »
Laughing!  ;)

I love my TM - but teach my girls to cook both in it and the traditional way, so they grow up knowing both.  :D
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:00:18 am »
My Daughter wants to cook the old way.
Loves cutting, peeling, to stir things.

wants to help roll biscuits, ect.

I say when you move out I will buy you a thermie.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:19 am »
DD1 never had any inclination to cook until TM came along. she could cook anything she wanted to then, and is very good at converting recipes. She doesn't lack the confidence to try a "traditional" recipe but she will use the TM whilst preparing  from one to make chopping easier etc. DS is not very good at cooking traditionally for himself but he eats better with a TM because he is able to use it and follow the recipes. Growing up with a TM around is better than growing up with fast food  if it helps to put good food on the table.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 05:15:38 am »
I have wondered the same too.

I think of it as just a tool, so hopefully doesn't mean they aren't learning about cooking too (it just happens to be easier/faster in the tmx) - we do quite a bit of prep still, and make a lot more of our meals from scratch, and they see a lot more "real" food than when we relied more on bought sauces and meal bases.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 05:56:58 am »
I've wondered the same thing! I thought my DD would be ok (age 2) as we cook pancakes on the stove and I do chop veg etc before putting in the TMX (!)
Then last night we were at my parent's house and Dad was cooking something on the stove (they don't have a TMX)...DD was being held at the time and pointed to the sauce cooking on the stove and asked "What's that?"
We all laughed, but I'm still trying to determine if it was one of the hundred or so "What's that?" questions she asks each day or if she really didn't know....might have to get the pots and pans out again soon...
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:33:37 am »
My DH and DS3 both hate TMX because it is too noisy. DS3 has even suggested a few times "we should throw it in the bin Mummy"
From Perth WA

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:54 pm »
I am sure others thought the same way when microwaves were first introduced. But not much has changed when you think about it. Yes we use it as a tool, but it's not relied upon entirely.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 11:05:23 am »
I often laugh at this comment (and have wondered the same) as before my Thermomix I knew absolutely NOTHING about either food or cooking  ;) ;)

For those that know me or have been around for a while you will know that this is very ver far from the case now  ;D ;D

Either way I don't really care as long as my kids can look after themselves and prepare good proper healthy food then that is all that matters ... I know they will always have a TMX in their kitchen so it really doesn't matter (IMHO)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »
I'm with Faffa. I'll be buying all my kids a TMX when they move out - as long as they know how to cook with it - who cares?

I never used to cook 'from scratch' as it was too hard. Now I am confident with but TMX or not.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
Well, I'm 18 and I grew up with TMX. I know more about food than many other people my age, and a lot of older people too. Using a TMX actually helped me learn, like Jo mentioned, about cooking things completely from scratch. And that is what made me love cooking and want to learn more.

I would call myself a "real food kid", not a "thermokid".

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »
Hear, hear, Amy! The TMX actually has kids getting interested in food. Who cares how it's cooked? As long as it's fresh, nutritious and tastes great.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand