Author Topic: Quick Caramel Custard  (Read 61253 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Quick Caramel Custard
« on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:18 am »
Quick Caramel Custard

Serves 6

This is nice over sliced bananas in a baked pie crust (chilled) - or on its' own too (hot or cold).

Ingredients:
- 100g dark brown sugar (or Rapadura with a tablespoon of molasses)
- 30g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500g milk or milk substitute (I use rice-almond milk)
- 40g plain flour (I use plain spelt flour)

Method:
Chuck it all in, cook for 7 mins, 90 degrees, speed 4.
Yum! Also nice with crushed up ginger bikkies in it!

Members' comments
rubyslippers - I was looking for something quick, warm and tasty tonight. This really hit the spot.

ILB - Thanks Jo. Made this tonight but used 25g of cornflour instead of the plain flour. Yummy!  DD crushed up her freshly baked choc chip biscuit through it and is devouring it.  This is currently Miss 4's favourite!, we prefer the consistency with the cornflour.

Suesthermy - We had this for dessert tonight over a sliced banana - delicious.  Maybe add some brandy or banana liqueur for something really special next time. Thanks.

Chookie - Jo,  made this today for DH's birthday lunch.  Served over sliced banana,  very nice and easy.  Love recipes when I have every thing to hand.  Think it would churn into a nice ice-cream. Thanks.

CarolineJ - Made this tonight, and served it on top of shortbread biscuits and sliced banana.  The kids loved it and DH proclaimed it was like ecstacy!!

barnbuyer - Tastes great, so simple.

cookie1 - We had this last night and it was wonderful. DH's friend was so impressed with the dessert that he is thinking he perhaps needs a TMX.

JD - Put me on the list of people who love this one Jo - it's not too sweet either.  Thanks for posting it, I think it is my favourite custard now.

snoozie - Thanks again... had this with tinned pears. Yummy.

VHJ - I'm not a caramel or butterscotch fan but this was very nice. My family loved it over sliced banana.

RoxyS - I've made this twice now and both times it has been a hit with all the teenagers & my DH. Even my fussy 5 yr old likes it. Thanks Quirkycooking.

bluesed - I made it yesterday just to try it. And it is a very nice alternative to vanilla custard and very easy to cook. I did replace the flour with 15g cornflour so I can serve for celiacos.

rubyslippers - I have now tried this with real eggs, and I was very surprised the difference it made to the texture and taste.  I enjoyed it but this children liked it better the other way.  I also added one teaspoon of LSA which gave it a mild nutty taste which I enjoyed.

willmac - Oh My, this is sooooooo good and soooooooo easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

KerrynN - It got a definite thumbs up from everyone. I only had brown sugar rather than dark brown, and would probably use a bit less vanilla next time but it was a nice change from the standard vanilla. Thanks for another good recipe Jo!

Delightful Den - It is really good Jo and a nice change from the regular custard. I served it over some sliced banana.

Woerd - It is really good Jo and a nice change from the regular custard. I served it over some sliced banana.

GF - This is great!  It's for after dinner tonight. Really quick and so easy - and everyone loves the taste!  Thank you very much for putting it up!!

Nikkit - I tried this and it was great! Plus better than the other caramel custard recipe I have. Thanks!

Thermobudgie - This is such a yummy treat and my children's favourite dessert. I was wondering if anyone had turned it into icecream? Would it work as is or would I have to add some cream?

JD - I'm just making a batch of this custard to see if it works for ice-cream Thermobudgie - I have added 1/4 cup Butterscotch Schnapps to it though to try to make it easier to spoon from frozen.  Will let you know tomorrow how it turned out.

Update - The beauty of having an ice-cream maker is that I have made this recipe into ice-cream and had my first soft serve cone within 3.5 hours.  It is really lovely and with the addition of Butterscotch Schnapps, tomorrow will tell if it had the desired effect of making it spoonable from the freezer. 

Update - Unfortunately the alcohol didn't have the desired affect but it does give it a nice flavour so I will continue to add some to this recipe anytime I make it for ice-cream.

ElleG - We made the custard yesterday, and it was divine. Probably the best custard I have eaten. Thanks Jo for another great recipe.

Tasty - Made this tonight to go with some ripe bananas that needed to be eaten up. I tasted it and realised something is not quite right and then realised I had forgotten to put in the butter - bugger! It was still nice and smooth though.

belfie - Tried this tonight with some substitutions -
25g cornflour
orgran egg replacer for the 2 eggs
soymilk
Tasted great & the whole family could have it - yum!  Must admit I didn't notice the lack of egg too much either, which was pleasant (I tried a choc-banana custard the other day using banana for both flavour & as the egg replacer and it wasn't nearly as good.)
Thanks!
(fructose friendly, dairy-free, egg-free, nut free)

ETC - Yum!!!!!!!!!!  Was perfect!

Natalia - Hi, I received my long awaited tmx last week and this was the second recipe that I tried.  YUM!  The kids loved it too.  Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Coops - Made this last night and had it with sliced banana, perfect warm winter dessert and a new fav here. Thanks for sharing this.

Brumington - We had this as our dessert today and it was lovely.  We had nothing to put with it but, to be honest, I thought it was nice enough on its own.  I do think it would be lovely with banana though!  I have some left in the fridge begging to be eaten but I might give the ice-cream a go.  We had to use 15g of cornflour because I had no flour in the house (I know, what sort of TMX household has no flour?!).

DJ - Made this tonight, might try cornflour next time, do I use same amount. Plus had to cook 1 extra minute 90 speed 4. Thanks for a new pudding.

Kulsha - I use the same amount of cornflour (40g), and it comes out really nice and thick, you won't need the extra minute.

csrobinson - Made this tonight for dessert and it was delicious but a little too sweet for me so next time I will try less sugar. Thanks for a great recipe.

KylieH87 - AH-MAZING. I found it a little bit sweet. Can the amount of sugar be reduced?

JD - Sugar can always be reduced Kylie, most of our members reduce sugar in almost everything they make.

TwoBoyNaTMX - Just made this tonight, made it a bit more naughty by sprinkling brown sugar on top.

Uni - just made some for Eve for afternoon tea. It's yum. I used cornflour, only had 350 grams of milk. I added about 50 grams  of cream and the rest I made up with water and cooked it for 2 extra minutes.  Eggs are a bit of put off for me lately, must try egg  replacer.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:52:35 am by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
Re: Quick Caramel Custard
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:08 am »
yummy, definetly one to try.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:57:13 am »
Sounds delish Jo - will have to give it a whirl.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 12:48:22 pm »
Lovely Jo. So simple too. Congratulations. ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 12:05:30 am »
Thanks Quirky Jo - also good in ice blocks for instant ice cream ?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:08:35 am »
yes, good idea!

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46:00 pm »
I was looking for something quick, warm and tasty tonight.

This really hit the spot.

Thank you quirkycooking.

:)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:06:42 am »
Thanks Jo. Made this tonight but used 25g of cornflour instead of the plain flour. Yummy!  :P

DD crushed up her freshly baked choc chip biscuit through it and is devouring it  :-))
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:39:39 pm »
Thanks for posting :)

Offline Suesthermy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 07:20:31 pm »
We had this for dessert tonight over a sliced banana - delicious.  Maybe add some brandy or banana liqueur for something really special next time.

Thanks

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:15:06 am »
Glad you liked it  :)  Also nice with crushed up ginger bikkies in it!

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:44 am »
Will definitely try this one!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 07:33:41 am »
Jo,  made this today for DH's birthday lunch.  Served over sliced banana,  very nice and easy.  Love recipes when I have every thing to hand.  Think it would churn into a nice icecream. Thanks ;D

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »
Happy birthday to DH Chookie  :)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 12:08:29 pm »
It would be his birthday everyday wouldn't it Chookie with your great cooking -  cheers to your DH
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.