Author Topic: My every day bread  (Read 10989 times)

Offline sargo

• View Profile
My every day bread
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:18:41 pm »
This is my every day bread converted for Big Bertha. 

462 grams bread flour
15 grams salt (about 2 teaspoons table salt but I use Diamond Crystal Salt)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
300 ml (approx.) very warm water

Put dry ingredients into Thermomix jug and mix on speed 5 for 30 seconds.  Add oil and water and mix again on speed 5 for 30 seconds.  Add more water if needed to make sure dough balls and is not dry.  You want the dough to pull away from the sides of the jug.  Knead on interval setting for 3 minutes.  Turn out into a lightly oiled bowl and turn in the bowl to lightly coat all surfaces with the oil.  Cover tightly and let rise until doubled - about 40 mins but will depend on your ambient temperature.  Punch down.  Shape into 2 boules, 2 batards or 1 large  of either.  Cover with a barely damp cloth and let rise again for another 40 minutes or so.  Slash, spray with warm water and bake on stone at 450 for 12 minutes, reduce to 375 F and bake until done - about another 8-10 minutes.  Internal temp should read between 195F and 200F. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: My every day bread
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:27 am »
Looks very good, do you add other grains?    How do you test the internal temp?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:50:39 am »
The loaves look lovely Sargo.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 03:09:37 am »
Good work sargo - just goes to show the old TM 21s are still a great investment.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline onceuponabimby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »

462 grams bread flour
15 grams salt (about 2 teaspoons table salt but I use Diamond Crystal Salt)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
300 ml (approx.) very warm water

Put dry ingredients into Thermomix jug and mix on speed 5 for 30 seconds.  Add oil and water and mix again on speed 5 for 30 seconds.  Add more water if needed to make sure dough balls and is not dry.  You want the dough to pull away from the sides of the jug.  Knead on interval setting for 3 minutes.  Turn out into a lightly oiled bowl and turn in the bowl to lightly coat all surfaces with the oil.  Cover tightly and let rise until doubled - about 40 mins but will depend on your ambient temperature.  Punch down.  Shape into 2 boules, 2 batards or 1 large  of either.  Cover with a barely damp cloth and let rise again for another 40 minutes or so.  Slash, spray with warm water and bake on stone at 450 for 12 minutes, reduce to 375 F and bake until done - about another 8-10 minutes.  Internal temp should read between 195F and 200F. 

Hi sargo.  I've been looking for a better recipe than what I have ... and yours looks great (beautiful images!!).  Thermomix causes me to think you're using a TM21.  True?  It would be good to know because my Bimby is a TM21.   :)
onceuponabimby
Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »
. . . 

Hi sargo.  I've been looking for a better recipe than what I have ... and yours looks great (beautiful images!!).  Thermomix causes me to think you're using a TM21.  True?  It would be good to know because my Bimby is a TM21.   :)

That is correct!  I have the TM21. 

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 11:06:36 pm »
... and they still work brilliantly too !!!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 01:08:49 am »
I've currently got this on the first rise, nearly time to hit down and leave for 2nd rise. 

My question is where you say to shape and let rise under damp cloth then put on stones into oven  to bake etc, do you let rise on the stone for the second rise, otherwise surely it would be difficult not to deflate it when moving (after sitting for 2nd rise?) Or do you need the stone to be hot before putting it on?

Your help would be appreciated.  :)

Julie.

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 02:15:50 am »
I've currently got this on the first rise, nearly time to hit down and leave for 2nd rise. 

My question is where you say to shape and let rise under damp cloth then put on stones into oven  to bake etc, do you let rise on the stone for the second rise, otherwise surely it would be difficult not to deflate it when moving (after sitting for 2nd rise?) Or do you need the stone to be hot before putting it on?

Your help would be appreciated.  :)

Julie.

Sorry.  I made some assumptions here!  I let it rise on a parchment covered peel and then slip the parchment from the peel onto the hot stone.  I remove the parchment after the first 10 minutes so that the bottom browns!  Hope this helps and wasn’t too late.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 02:40:01 am »
Thanks Sargo, I have it covered, sitting on baking paper on a tray at the moment, and the stone is heating in the oven, so I've done the right thing.   :P     Just wanted to be sure as I don't always have the best result with bread made by hand.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:18 pm »
"parchment covered peel and then slip the parchment from the peel onto the hot stone.  I remove the parchment after the first 10 minutes so that the bottom browns! "

Was going to make this, but have now thought that perhaps I need to re-evaluate..love cooking bread in my Romertophtf (not sure of the spelling). was going to do one or two shaped balls in it.

(Think I need to go to a kitchen place or maybe a tile place to find something to cook this type of thing on. What about pizza - anyone find something like a travertine tile cheaper than going to a kitchen shop and buying a pizza stone from??)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:22:14 pm »
Thanks Sargo, I have it covered, sitting on baking paper on a tray at the moment, and the stone is heating in the oven, so I've done the right thing.   :P     Just wanted to be sure as I don't always have the best result with bread made by hand.  :)

So I'm anxious to hear how you made out.  I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:39 pm »
Looks very good, do you add other grains?    How do you test the internal temp?

Yes, I have used a multigrain flour and it works fine.  I have also added about 1/3 multigrain and it also works fine.  I use a simple digital thermometer with a thin probe but really, if it sounds hollow when you rap on the bottom, it's done.  Some of our high-tech toys are really unnecessary luxuries (but I'm not giving them up).

Offline sargo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 06:33:27 pm »

. . . .

(Think I need to go to a kitchen place or maybe a tile place to find something to cook this type of thing on. What about pizza - anyone find something like a travertine tile cheaper than going to a kitchen shop and buying a pizza stone from??)

Don't let the lack of a stone prevent you from trying this bread.  If you have a cast iron frying pan then turn it upside down and preheat it in the oven just as you would a tile.  Failing that you can simply turn a sheet pan upside down and do the same thing.  Sheet pans, however, unless very sturdy, have a tendency to warp at these high temperatures.  Other people have had success with the "saucers" you can buy made of terra cotta and designed to put under very large plant pots.  Unglazed quarry tiles are also a good replacement for a pizza stone but I have never had any success in finding them.  I get my pizza stones from garage sales or charity stores for very little money.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 11:03:06 pm »
Think they only cost about $10 new from large retail stores - check the likes of KMart, BigW, Myers, etc
Thermomixer in Australia