Author Topic: First Meal in Thelma - Too Ambitious?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
First Meal in Thelma - Too Ambitious?
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:18:38 pm »
I've just asked DH what he wants me to cook in Thelma when she arrives tomorrow (I saw that someone else called theirs Dobby, I think I like that name better!)

He's requested curry - fair enough I've ordered the Indian cookbook with it - is that going to be too ambitious for the first time of using the machine.  I'm a reasonably good cook so my learning curve is just the machine and not cooking curry!!  :D

Tia

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: First Meal in Thelma - Too Ambitious?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »
As long as you leave yourself enough time to make the paste ( source the spices if you don't have them) and cook it, I think you could do that easily  ;D go for it !!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 02:36:05 pm »
The Chicken Korma is very good.Have a look at this so you can see whether you have the ingredients at hand.The Chicken in Yoghurt gets great reviews.Also on page 120 of the Fast and Easy Cooking( have a look when you get the book tomorrow) the Cashew Chicken is very good.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3022.0
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=26.0
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:31 pm »
Nicola1968,  lucky your DH suggested a curry as they are most forgiving.  The Korma one,  in the Indian Book is  very nice and easy.  As it is your first main meal,  keep an eye on the chicken as it may cook quicker than stated.  Good luck.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:30 pm »
I think one of my friends did a curry the day her machine arrived.  If it wasn't the first day it was very close to it.  She also got the Indian cookbook.

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:29:36 pm »
Sadly the Indian cookbook didn't arrive with my order and, honestly, I'm too tired to cook a curry even with Thelma's help.

So far today tho' Thelma's  cooked corguette soup, a meal of steamed rice, steamed veggies and steamed salmon, scrambled egg and is sitting there waiting for me to turn her on in the morning to cook the porridge.  We love porridge for breakfast but I've never found a really good way of making it quickly and easily in the morning, even those sachet things aren't actually that convenient because one is never enough and two together doesn't cook properly ....  Besides all of that my preference is for steel cut oats, not those mashed up things with lots of yuk.

Tomorrow I'm going straight in there and adapting a recipe from this month's BBC Good Food Magazine (a caramelly chocolate cake thing ... might have to post pics!)

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:15:50 am »
Yum. Please do post the conversion. It sounds tasty.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:14:47 am »
Hi Nik,

I had my TM delivered (havent got a name yet) last Friday, but booked my demo for end of Nov.  Apparently you're not supposed to get your cookbook and thermoserver until your demo, but my consultant let me have mine cos it would be a month without it.

I cooked the cashew chicken ( from the Indian cookbook)  the other night and it got rave reviews in my household. Tonight i'm going to attempt the "bangerss and mas with onion gravy" which is using the varoma.  've just bought some lamb and rosemary sausages, so we will see how successful i am!!!!

The rice pudding is very nice too. My kids like it with a dollop of jam and ice cream.... very strange i know!!

Did you get your thermoserver?  Have yoou had your demo yet?

Have fun with Thelma... now to choose a name for mine...

Julia