Author Topic: Fish Burgers with tartare sauce  (Read 15145 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Fish Burgers with tartare sauce
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:40:37 am »
Converted from Tasty Low-Fat Recipes by Family Circle, p53.

Fat per serve: 15g
Serves: 4

Ingredients
Burgers:
500g white fish fillets
large handful of parsley (abt 2tbsp when chopped)
large handful of dill (abt 2tbsp when chopped)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp capers
2 gherkins
350g potato, cubed
plain flour, for dusting

Tartare sauce:
90g low-fat mayonnaise
1/2 gherkin
2 tsp capers
1/2 tsp malt vinegar
small bunch parsley (abt 2 tsp when chopped)
2 tsp lemon juice

Method
Burgers:
1. place the peeled and chopped potatoes in the steamer basket. Add 600g water to bowl.
2. wet and scrunch up a piece of baking paper big enough to cover the bottom of the Varoma tray. Place fish fillets on baking paper, ensuring they don't overlap (if they do you may need to turn/move them around during cooking). Place varoma in position. Set to varoma, sp1, 15 mins.
3. Remove steamer basket and discard remaining water. Drop herbs, capers and gherkin onto running blades at sp4 until chopped (abt 5 secs? I just listen to when noise changes). Scrape down sides.
4. Add in remaining ingredients (not flour) and combine on sp 6 for 10 seconds or until well combined.
5. Shape mixture into 4 burger patties and dust with flour. Rest in the fridge for approx 1 hour. Make tartare sauce - below.
6. After resting, shallow fry in hot oil for 5-6 minutes or until browned on both sides and well heated through. Serve on buns with tartare sauce, and salad of your choice.

Tartare sauce:
1. Clean TMX bowl.
2. Drop capers, gherkin and parsley onto running blades at sp 4 for 5 seconds or so.
3. Scrape side of bowl and add mayo, lemon juice and vinegar. Combine on sp 4 for 5 seconds. Set aside in fridge until burgers are ready.

My DS7 made this, with assistance, having chosen the recipe himself. We are not big fish fans but all (except DS10) enjoyed this very much, including MIL and FIL who were there for dinner. I think the tartare sauce really made it.
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Burgers with tartare sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:35 am »
Well done DS, bet his grandparents were impressed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:46 am »
Ooh, this looks good. My kids love fish cakes etc but I'll have to change the malt vinegar to apple cider vinegar as I cant have malt. I cant get enough of  capers though- I absolutely love them at the moment . Well done for the recipe though. Will try it next time I get fish fillets.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:52:26 am »
Yum these do sound great. Might just have to try these out. :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:05:20 am »
Yes JD, his grandparents were very impressed! He even made the dessert too.

We will definitely be making these again, which is good because we don't have many fish recipes we enjoy, and I have decided that life is too short to eat stuff I don't like, even if it is good for me. That doesn't stretch to the kids though - they still aren't old enough to get a job and buy their own food if they don't like what I'm cooking.
Kerryn

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:12:32 am »
Funny, my kids seem to go crazy for fish and seafood but not for conventional dishes which you'd think they like. Weird!!!! I found an amazing recipe for "caramel salmon" the other day based on one of Bill Granger's recipes, which unfortunately you can't convert to the TM but it tastes amazing and you wouldn't know you were eating salmon.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:55:01 am »
Loved the tartare sauce, but I thought the fish burgers were too fiddly. Easier just to fry a fillet and stick in a bun with the sauce and salad. But in saying that, my DS7 ate it who does not like fish. I love fish and it wasn't fishy enough for me. Still have some left over, gone in the freezer for another day.
Last comment, the mixture was super hot, I struggled to make consistent burgers, might be worthwhile cooling down, then shaping, then resting.
Also it is a great way to make fish stretch further.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:40:06 pm »
Hi Hopefulcook. Glad your DS enjoyed them. We are not big fish lovers in this house so anything that makes it less fishy is a bonus here!

If your mixture was too hot, I'm guessing you missed the bit that said rest in the fridge for an hour or so? I'm no chef so I have no idea what purpose the 'resting' serves other than cooling it down to handle?

Merlin, even though I just said we aren't fish lovers, the two fish we do like (the kids a bit less so most days) are fresh tuna and fresh salmon. I should probably add salmon to the list again soon...
Kerryn

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:32:57 am »
I love fish, Just about to get another 20 kilos tomorrow.

Will make these and report back.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Mama Fergie

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:07:56 am »
Wow that's a lot of fish to get through!!! How long does it keep in the freezer Robyn. I would love to buy bulk fish but was under the impression it was only good in freezer for up to 3 months. Don't know where I got that info from.
Do you get a variety within the 20 kilos or all same fish?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 07:31:08 am »
we eat alot of fish.
I got 10 kilos of king salmon, and 10 kilos of barra.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Sueperbabe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:21:19 pm »
Made these for tea tonight. Will be making these again, so nice :)