Author Topic: Recipe Review Tasmanian Salmon with Yoghurt Dressing - Devil of a Cookbook p.92  (Read 5473 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
If you want a lush main course, this is it!!

*DISCLAIMER*  This is a very Tasmanian recipe and I am utterly biased.  A)  The contributor is my boss!  B)  I love her cooking.  C)  I love my job.  and D)  I love the way she's developed one recipe which shows off so many famous Tassie agricultural exports.

But I want you all to know how good this recipe is.  Please try it yourself and tell me how you go with it.

It is intended for a whole big salmon and the fish itself can be roasted in the oven in its skin.  (If I may discurse for a moment, our family has seen some HUMUNGOUS Tas salmon.  When DD2 was being courted by a fellow who used to work at a salmon farm, he used to come visiting with salmon that seemed bigger than our table!)

If a Varoma-sized fish can be found, it turns out beautifully steamed.  If you can only find fillets, it will still taste delicious, just won't have such visual impact on the table.

The Walnut Crumble is soooo good.   It's one of those 3 seconds max jobs so don't overprocess.

Such a lovely contrast of texture begtween the mighty but tender fish, the piquant yoghurt sauce and the crunchy crumble topping.

5/5
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Thanks for this review Cecilia.  I'm keeping one of those sticky notes in the front of my book to keep track of those recipes already tried and recommended on the forum - and this one has been added. :D  I love salmon!  I doubt I'll have the opportunity for a whole fish - but glad to hear that fillets work just as well . . .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:21:51 am by goldfish »

Offline desi

• View Profile
Hi Cecilia,
Thank you for the review of the Tasmanian Salmon with Yogurt Dressing recipe.
I tried it and I agree with you. It was delicious.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Thanks Cecilia. Do you think a whole side of salmon would work? My fishmonger sells a 'side' of salmon already pinboned and obviously the fish is headless and gutted. If I am making fillets for say a dinner party I usually just cut the flap of salmon into smaller fillets and any leftovers I make into gravlax. The size I get normally would fit into the Varoma and it still has skin on one side.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Dear Merlin,  I'll pass your question on to the recipe contributor.  At the cooking class, we were taught to remove the skin and grey part underneath before slathering with the yoghurt for serving.  Thanks for the info.  I will share and hopefully one of us will get back to you before long.  :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
As I am allergic to fish & seafood, coukd this meal be made using chicken. I often use chicken to replace fish.

H
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Am pleased to report that this recipe fits in the Dukan Diet.  Guest looked through the recipe to approve it and said the nuts part would be a lttle treat but the fish and yoghurt were really good and she's looking forward to it.