Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6038234 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #17385 on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:01 am »
How exciting, a new tractor. Yes please Chookie, I'd love a photo too.

As for the I identifiable disease, I have it too. I so admire Mich when she can give things away. I often look at some of my books and clutter and think about giving some away, but just can't. I do use them though.
When we built here I had a cookbook clean out and still regret it. I'm thinking we need to buy more bookcases and turn the 3rd bedroom into a book room.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #17386 on: March 12, 2015, 12:26:40 am »
You'll have to post a picture of your new tractor Chookie.  When you find out the name of that unidentifiable disease, please let us know as there are quite a few of us who have the same problem  ;D

Definitely  :-[

Alas I can't give them away either.  I find sometimes that recipes that once didn't appeal will do so at a later date, I just love them.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17387 on: March 12, 2015, 12:56:54 am »
I read recipe books like others read novels.  I get all excited about trying and converting so many lovely recipes for the TMX but alas, I won't live long enough or have enough mouths to feed to do too many :'(  Lately I've been the recipient of Katie's book disposals, they're keeping me occupied at night whilst 'watching' TV.  Before that I bought myself a heap of recipe books as, due to disposal of hundreds of food magazines, I ended up with plenty of room in my bookcase for more recipe books.  I only give away books that have very few recipes I'd do in them, I copy the recipes and pass the book onto a friend.  It's my only vice so it's harmless.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #17388 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:21 am »
I agree Julie, some recipes that were overlooked  at one time can appeal to our changing tastes, especially as we get older.  I have tried to give my kids unwanted recipe books, but the don't want them.  They seem to use Apps and popular recipe websites.  I guess they don't end up with the problem of de cluttering, but I will always prefer a real book to technology. Somehow therapeutic combing through the pages of a nice cook book.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17389 on: March 12, 2015, 01:59:34 am »
When Tenina brings out her new book this year I might be able to squeeze it in. After that, I don't know what I am going to do as I don't want to turf out any books that I have on the shelf in the kitchen  :'( I was going to only purchase e-books but the only annoying thing about them is the iPad turns off after a few seconds and its annoying turning it on again (happens repeatedly during the making of a recipe) whereas the page of a book just stays there and you can make some pencil notes/post-it notes on it as well. I take screen shots of online magazines that I order as I would never be able to find that recipe again, and so that probably saves having a file of clippings
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
What have you been doing today?
« Reply #17390 on: March 12, 2015, 02:09:26 am »
Can you change the setting on your iPad CP,  so it doesn't turn off after a few seconds? I think somewhere in the settings you can.

I too have a cookbook addiction and have hundred of cookbooks. As we live in a small house, we have implemented the "one in, one out" policy. Anything you buy, you need to get rid of something. Alas, it also relates to books.

I give all the cookbooks that I'm not keeping to Judy. Getting rid of them doesn't hurt as much as I first thought it might.  I gave her two big piles on the weekend - unfortunately for her, I slipped a Pete Evans book in there. It was easy to get rid of that book, as that guy annoys me!
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17391 on: March 12, 2015, 03:38:27 am »
Me too Katie. He is now trying to get Mums to give their babies his paleo stuff. Not very sensible.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #17392 on: March 12, 2015, 03:38:44 am »
I was going to only purchase e-books but the only annoying thing about them is the iPad turns off after a few seconds and its annoying turning it on again (happens repeatedly during the making of a recipe.

CP yes you can turn off in the settings so it doesn't close down until you tell it to.

Tap on Settings
Tap on General
Scroll down the page until you see Auto-Lock, tap on that.
Tap on Never.

It won't close down until you go back into the same screen and then tap on whatever you are happy with ie 2 mins, 5 mins etc.

I follow the same procedure with my iPhone when using my grocery app so I can walk around the supermarket and it stays on the page until shopping is done then I reset it to 1 min.   :)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #17393 on: March 12, 2015, 04:00:29 am »
Thanks for that tip Julie , CP I have the same problem , most annoying

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #17394 on: March 12, 2015, 04:49:09 am »
thanks JO, I did know about that one but its inconvenient if you say have to cook something for 20 mins cos it means that its using up battery power (always having to charge up my things) so thats where an open book is hands down better. Pete Evans can no longer bat those baby blues and get away with it. Lately he has had some negative press, and I really don't like the thought of a chef spouting off his beliefs when he is not a qualified dietician to sell books. I feel he is using his celebrity status at another level, and the publishers of his books should perhaps take some responsibility as well. I'd like to know how many babies he's tested his Paleo diet on???
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17395 on: March 12, 2015, 05:26:27 am »
I find it awful in that there will be some Mums out there who are gullible enough to follow his ideas.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #17396 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:04 am »
I agree Cookie.
I read last year that Peter Evans was quitting MKR because he was into Paleo and it was said that having to taste all the foods cooked on the show made him feel sick. I guess he had second thoughts when thinking about the money he would miss out on.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17397 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »
Beef broth instead of breast milk!  It's horrifying you hope no one would follow that.
Denise

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17398 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:53 pm »
Beef broth instead of breast milk!  It's horrifying you hope no one would follow that.

Hmmm, what a twit!!
So what's going on with his restaurant??  Is it going to be paleo only food now?
He was in town here last night with a paleo seminar.

P.S.  I hope Colin does take his place on MKR  :-*
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #17399 on: March 13, 2015, 11:54:46 am »
Quote from: maddy link=topic=10298.msg388958#msg388958

P.S.  I hope Colin does take his place on MKR  :-*

Me too!

It takes years upon years of research and trialling by teams of people with years of experience,  study and research backgrounds to develop baby formula. It makes me so cranky to think that one person can develop their own version. Knowing that some person will take their advice really saddens me.
Sorry, will get off soap box before I get carried away!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:53:38 pm by judydawn »
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/