Author Topic: Should I become a consultant?  (Read 116947 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: Should I become a consultant?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »
Yipppeeee!!! I know you're going to love it! I've just done my group leader training in Perth and I've had so much fun I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement!!! What a great job, I love it!!!!   ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Nettie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:03 am »
Don't do it. Save yourself time and money. I did and it was a waste of time. If you are bored - perhaps.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 06:05:09 am »
Wow this thread was a bit of a shock to the system. I am very glad people feel comfortable enough around here to be honest though.

Can someone confirm something for me: Is it true there is no minimum time to have had your thermomix for before you become a consultant? Is it true that a consultant could have got their machine a week ago and be putting on demo's and cooking classes? I heard a consultant can pay of their machine whilst working.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 06:15:04 am »
Welcome Nettie. I like your honesty as being a consultant is not for everyone. Do you enjoy using your TMX?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:04 am »
Chrissy, you can sign up to be a consultant when you buy a TM, but you have about a month before you start, because you have to do your training and practice until you can do demos confidently, and are using your machine confidently. Saying that, it really doesn't take long to become confident with the TM, if you're using it every day. My husband has only just started cooking with the TM, and he's been doing really well - he's amazed at how easy it is, because he has NEVER been a cook - just made juices in it, that's all.

I don't know why some people don't enjoy being a consultant - guess it isn't right for everyone, but I love it, and know heaps of other consultants who love it too!!!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2011, 02:13:01 am »
I've looked at this thread a couple of times but not weighed in...........

I decided to become a consultant before I'd even seen a machine, so I am a bit different to the norm!! Back then (3 years ago) they were relatively unknown & MUCH harder to sell than they are now.  I think this is one of the reasons that the drop off rate in earlier consultants was so high.  Earlier on the main emphasis was "become a consultant & you can earn your TM for free" so some joined simply to do that & then got out when sales didn't happen without a huge amount of effort having paid for their own machine. Thermomix in Australia is a vastly different beast than it was even 2 years ago. I'm not certain when you were a consultant zarbos but it's clear you didn't have the best experience which is really sad.  I've not been consistently successful - in fact I've been spectacularly unsuccessful when compared to many others.  I look at those who make 15+ sales in their first 60 days & scratch my head in wonder.  It's not impossible but it doesn't happen automatically. Enthusiasm gets you going, caring about people, follow up, persistence, dedication & planning keep you going.  As Jo intimates, the longer you stay in & the harder you work, the more successful you are.  I've learned heaps about cooking, my machine, people & myself since joining this business.  In all businesses there are politics & growing pains.  Thermomix in Oz has grown exponentially over the past 2 years & there are problems inherently when that happens.  Like any organisation you won't like or get on with everyone you work with - that's life!!  What hasn't been mentioned is that there is very good earning POTENTIAL - YOU have to realise that potential, it doesn't fall in your lap.  Aside from the commission, there is the opportunity to earn a second machine for free in the first half of the year.  Once you've achieved that there is a different incentive the next year.  Then there are the trips.  They are totally achieveable (I haven't so far because I haven't put my mind to it!) - New Zealand, Singapore & next month Dubai - all 5 star & all paid for.....It's normally only the largest companies that do incentive trips....wonder where it'll be next year.
For me, it's been the personal growth, the friendships & the food so far. I'm now looking forward to the money & the other rewards!!!
Good luck with it Sue - I look forward to hearing how you go!  Everyone has to go into it for their own reasons.  Don't let someone elses bad experiences - or fabulous ones - affect you.  Work out who you'll be working with & learning from & whether you think you'll be comfortable there.  The geographical boundaries mean we are restricted in the choices of who we work with but they are there to enable everyone coming in to have a fair go at earning a living.
I'm truely grateful Thermomix came into my life, being a consultant is simply a bonus.

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2011, 12:21:43 pm »
Like Janeezee I have read this thread with interest - but have never contributed - until now!

I have been a consultant for only 3 months. I sold my 3 in the 60 days largely as a result of the 3 month interest free deal offered to customers in December - the December 14th deadline helped enormously and so, having completed training (which i found very helpful) I found myself the recipient of a consultant kit (the bag itself is terrific) and the prospect of selling my conviction to other people. I found it quite hard to get motivated - I'm not very good at the 'hard sell' approach and felt uncomfortable touting for demos amongst my friends - however, I did it - did a few friend demos - thank you lovely friends - and managed to do one or two demos (literally) in January and February - I was feeling quite overwhelmed by the expectations of the company - selling at least one machine per month - January and February are, I believe, the most difficult months - but persevered - making the scary phone calls and striding about my deck, smiling like an idiot - you sound more confident if you're moving and smiling...... and, as I come to the middle of March - I am totally blown away by the number of people who are now calling me, out of the blue, to ask me to come and do a demo. Friends of friends of friends who have one. By the end of the month I will have done 8 demos. I've sold 4 machines and know in my heart that there are at least three other people who will buy eventually and I'm so excited by the whole thing!
I am so utterly convinced that the Thermomix is the best thing for our health and our pockets and I'm so happy each time someone else realizes this and brings one home - the commission is secondary - nice, but secondary - really!
Gosh, I've banged on like a zealot - sorry........but I'm so enthusiastic about this little gem I get a bit carried away.
Now I'm embarrassed - I will never comment again................... ;)

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »
Great to hear JaneeZee and KateT, sounds like it's worked out well for you and you are seeing some great results.  I was told that things might be a bit slow at first and then take off. Looks like you've just confirmed it again.

Thanks everyone for your support. A quick update as I head into 38 of my 60 day training.

I've done 6 demo's (7th tomorrow) so far and even managed to sell a few. There are still so many people who haven't heard about the Thermomix and are amazed when they see it and it's benefits and taste the food. The consultant team up here are great as well, so I really enjoy cooking, chatting and learning from them. There really have been personal benefits for me. Now to see what the next 22days hold and then how things pan out once my training period is over.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
Good luck Sue - if I can sell them - anyone can!

Hope you haven't been too thrown by your weather recently and all your people are ok xx

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 06:27:38 am »
KarenT that is a lovely story.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 04:20:31 pm »
I absolutely love my TM, and am not a consultant because I have my own business. If I sold TM's I would be an absolute pain - as now I just MAKE myself button up after 3 secs if I touch on the subject with anyone (people can see I am so passionate and think I am going to try and sell them one!!!)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 09:27:41 pm »
  I wonder how the average thermomix consultants yearly income would compare with other consultants - perhaps Tupperware?
when i did TW my party average was over $900 and i did 1-3 parties a week. with thermomix i sold one in 3-4 months and was lucky to get 3 demos LOL
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 04:06:36 am »
  I wonder how the average thermomix consultants yearly income would compare with other consultants - perhaps Tupperware?
when i did TW my party average was over $900 and i did 1-3 parties a week. with thermomix i sold one in 3-4 months and was lucky to get 3 demos LOL

Was that weekly Karen? My average is one TM a week.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:35 am »
One girl I know only managed one sale after doing 10 demos in a month, and I know she had a stretch last year where she didn't have any sales. I think we only hear about the good ones, although we hear alot about owners who no longer have consultants because the disappear. We don't know why they disappear, do we, not do we know why they disappear.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 01:43:50 am »
thermoheaven, was the girl you mentioned living in a remote location?  If that had happened here in Victoria one of the GL's would have stepped in & observed her demo to see what was going wrong.  A HUGE part of your success as a consultant has nothing to do with the demo itself, it's to do with how well you prepared the host so that they know what to expect, who to invite & how to invite and then the follow up.  I know that when I applied myself more, stopped being afraid of having the conversation with the host in case she decided to cancel & followed up better (still a lot of improving to do!) then the whole thing got a lot easier.

As far as "hard sell" goes, you just don't need to.  We are there to show the audience what it is & what it can do so that they can make an informed decision about whether it's for them or not.  Focus on the audience, not what's in it for you & the whole presentation is more genuine.  If the host has got the appropriate people there not just 3 "bums on seats" then everyone has a great time, is pleased they now know about it & the Thermomix does it's magic in their brain.......little by little.......until they are ready to buy!

There will never be a better time to become a consultant than right now.  Interest is just gaining & gaining in momentum. Enjoy it & your audience will enjoy you & the TM & remember "some will, some won't, so what!"