Author Topic: Not going to get one - Very Disappointed  (Read 18389 times)

not yet sure

Not going to get one - Very Disappointed
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:20 am »
Hi, thankyou all for your previous posts. I had a demo at my house last week and VERY disappointed. I won't be getting one. The risotto tasted like plastic, the dip was overpowering, the sorbet was tasteless, the bread was doughy and the list goes on.  It didn't seem faster at all. The risotto still took 20min (not including prep time) and the lady still chopped everything. It didn't save any time and seems a waste of money. I had hopes for this machine and was sold before she did the demo. Now I will be spending my money on the house. I'm really disappointed.  :'(  I was also looking forward to being a member of this forum, it's so welcoming.  :)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
Re: Not going to get one - Very Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:38 am »
Oh, what a terrible shame.  It sounds like you had a VERY poor demo.

Risotto does still take 20 minutes but its 20 minutes of it mostly doing itself.

I can feel your disappointment coming across the seas and I wish there was something I could say but anything I say is going to make me sound like a mad TMX evangelist  ;D

Hugs

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:50 am »
Sorry to hear that 'not sure yet'.  As Nik said, the risotto takes the same amount of time but whilst it is stirring and cooking itself you can be off doing something else instead of standing there stirring for the whole time.  I am not a great risotto lover to start with, maybe you aren't either so I wouldn't judge the machine on that particular meal.   I experienced none of the problems you did at your demo even though I thought the lass could have done better, everything tasted fine.  Maybe you had a new consultant who is still feeling her way.  Have a break from the idea of getting one and if ever you get the opportunity to go to someone else's demo (with a different consultant maybe) or even a cooking class, go along and see if you feel differently next time.  It is disappointing to hear and I'm sure you are also disappointed in the outcome.  Have fun spending the money on the house - hope to see you back here one day.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:56:50 am »
Oh dear, it sounds as if the demo was a bit of a disaster.    Have you thought about sending feedback to Thermomix HQ as I am sure they would be interested in hearing your comments.   If stuff tasted bad, then that's to do with the amount of ingredients used rather than the machine itself.

I don't think the Thermomix can ever cook anything faster than any other method - the time-saving comes in not having to chop or stir.   The prep. for the risotto should only take a few minutes and I can definitely have a mushroom risotto ready within 25 minutes of starting and, meanwhile, I am doing something else.

It seems as if your mind has been made up, but I would encourage you to try and get another demo organised so that you can see the machine at its full potential.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:00 pm »
Hi, thankyou all for your previous posts. I had a demo at my house last week and VERY disappointed. I won't be getting one. The risotto tasted like plastic, the dip was overpowering, the sorbet was tasteless, the bread was doughy and the list goes on.  It didn't seem faster at all. The risotto still took 20min (not including prep time) and the lady still chopped everything. It didn't save any time and seems a waste of money. I had hopes for this machine and was sold before she did the demo. Now I will be spending my money on the house. I'm really disappointed.  :'(  I was also looking forward to being a member of this forum, it's so welcoming.  :)
There are some exceptional demonstators here on the forum, it's such a shame they couldn't show you the full potential of the TM. I would contact HO and tell them of your disastrous demo.
If I didn't live in the U.K. you could have come into my kitchen and we could have had a great day cooking with my TM.
Have a Merry Christmas  and hopefully see you again in the New Year. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
That is such a shame, with all those negatives I too would have reached the same conclusion as you. However the quality of consultants who frequent the forum is inspiring. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »
oh well, win some lose some  :-X
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline KarenT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »
Don't be put off by one demo - perhaps your demonstrator wasn't having a good night - in any event, I think just by spending half an hour reading the posts on this forum you can see that there are so many of us who love it and use it in all kinds of ways every day - if the only thing putting you off is the quality of the finished product that you experienced at the hands of one demonstrator, and you can see the potential in your own kitchen - then maybe arrange to go to a cooking class and give yourself the chance for a second opinion - we can't all be wrong!!

Have a happy Christmas anyway - and come back soon!

Offline JPS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 03:26:24 pm »
Hi, I am so sorry about your disappointment; perhaps you could get another demo or even have a two week test run if your consultant has a second TMX for such purposes.  You could then try certain recipes and find out for yourself if you still like the machine or not. If you don't immediately but are still interested, try again; it is like buying a new car.  The lady doing the demo let me try hers for 2 weeks because I was so excited about getting one and had to wait quite a while for delivery .....

By the way, thanks everybody for the warm welcome, I still have to find my way around  :) Have a very happy Christmas. Bye

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 01:13:59 am »
That would have been very disappointing. I can understand your decision.  Perhaps the time isn't right for you, maybe later.
Merry Christmas and hope to see you again. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:25 am »
I can really relate to your experience.  Although I had a lovely consultant I didn't enjoy any of the food at the demo I went to (except the custard ;)) and couldn't really see what the fuss was about.  I hate mushroom risotto with a passion, the dip was really strong and I wasn't keen on the brown rice crackers she had made in the TM to go with it.  I had two friends with TM's though and I loved what they were cooking in their machines.  One was a lurker on the forum (and still is) and was cooking delicious recipes from here.  The machine certainly isn't for everyone, but don't let the demo put you off.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:37:53 am »
Chelsea, can't you convince your 'lurker' friend to come on here - we'd love to see her share her experiences.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 06:44:39 am »
I don't think so, but she has shared a couple of her recipes through me.  ;D

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:48 am »
Sounds like a shite demo!  Honestly, I would go to another- with a different demonstrator, doing a different menu this time.  The machine is fabulous, but I guess sometimes the demo's don't show that as well as they could...

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 08:06:24 am »
I don't think the demo menu is that great personally, and the main course in particular not that inspiring but it's about seeing what the machine can do, not that you will necessarily love the food produced at the demo. Both demo's I've been to we had the pasta not the risotto which is alright but not something I'll make again. I don't like risotto so would have been very unsold on that but with either dish even though not really to my liking I could see how easy they were to make and how you didn't have to stir etc, how easy to chop things (so the consultant chopped up the garlic etc???!) and how versatile the tmx is.
The thing with tmx and risottos is that's it's 20 mins where you aren't doing anything unlike making risotto the old-fashioned way which is so labour intensive. The ease of making risotto even got me to try two myself (and still realised I don't like risotto and none of the kids do either, lol).
Surprised the sorbet was tasteless - what fruit did you use? The flavour is all in the fruit (obviously) so you must have had tasteless fruit.
Pity about the dip, was it the garlic and herb one? I love that (as do most of my friends I'm always being asked to make it for people) one, but maybe the consultant had quantites wrong or it's just a dip you don't like.