Author Topic: Yellow Zucchinis?  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Yellow Zucchinis?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:13 am »
Do I use them just the same as green ones? My nana gave them to us. Never seen them before, let alone cooked with them!

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Yellow Zucchinis?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:59 am »
Yep. Just shut your eyes and pretend that they are green.

Seriously Amy, just treat them the same as a green zucchini.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
Cool, thanks Sue :D

Offline Curry Diva

• My spinach curry will put hairs on your chest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:31:43 am »
Are these white zucchinis (very lite green skin on outside and white flesh on inside - otherwise the size, shape and appearance is like our familiar green zucchini) Ive never seen yellow ones either, just white and green.
I make a lovely smooth velvety coconut curry with the white ones. no reason why yellow wouldn't work either. I haven't done a conversion in TMX yet but can give recipe if you're interested.
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:33:10 am »
That recipe would be great Curry Diva, I still have a huge one left. Its definitely yellow too :)

Offline Curry Diva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:08:40 am »
Hi Amy, wow yellow ones. I'll have to keep a look out for these. Yellow would be awesome in a curry actually if the white ones are anything to go by. i occasionally see them in Coles and grab them. Once I get kids to bed tonight I'll pop the recipe up here. That way I won't be distracted and you'll have all the right info. It's a beautiful tasty mild curry that is not like the traditional ones you may know. It's smooth and velvet and coconutty and just glides down ones throat. My MIL gave it to me so its authentic. Watch this space. CD
Donna, Wife, Mother of 2, Nurse Consultant, Proverbs 31 woman in training, Geelong, Vic

Offline Curry Diva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:33 am »
Hi again Amy, I am so sorry this took longer to post than I first indicated. I had a family drama that took my time and this is the first opportunity I've had to get back on here.
Ok so the non TMX recipe is:
In a can of coconut milk boil your cut up pieces of zucchini. You may use coconut cream if desired. You may also add more water to just cover your zucchini. You don't want to over do the amount of liquid as the zucchini doesn't take too long to cook and there is no Dahl in this recipe to absorb excess liquid. It really all depends how creamy you want the finished product to be and how much white ir yellow zucchini you have to put in.
So to this mixture add a few fenugreek seeds, a few fennel seeds, slithers of garlic (I add multiple cloves like 6-8), small pieces of ginger (you might like to blitz up the ginger and garlic in TMX to really extract all the flavour!), salt, a pinch of tumeric, roughly chopped onion (small sized onion), 6-8 curry leaves, and a cut up green chilli (with or without seeds dependant on your preference - you may even just place in the chilli cut in half and whip it out at the end).
Really then all you have to do is let it all gently boil down , stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are well soft and the amount of liquid is right (like a curry consistency)
This recipe also works really well substituting eggplant for zucchini. It's smooth and velvety and glides down ones gullet!! To the eggplant variant I add a few chopped tomatoes and some cumin/garam masala. It's not as pretty looking as the zucchini recipe because it finishes up brown instead of white/yellow.
I've only ever done the white zucchinis but I can't see why yellow ones would be any different. You could add more turmeric to the yellow recipe.
No reason why you couldn't add a handful of red lentils at the start too to make it more like a Dahl and soak up excess liquid.
Lets know how it goes.
I'm sure this could be done in TMX by blitzing the chilli onion garlic ginger and then adding the rest and cooking on sp1 with butterfly. I just haven't done it yet so don't want to put up the formal converted recipe without testing.
As you can tell, the recipe is not hard and fast quantities. All my curry recipes are this way as it depends on what's on hand and how much spices/heat you want etc.
Serve with rice of your choice as with mainstream curries. It's a South Indian/Kerala (malayalee) dish from my dear MIL which are often more coconut dominated. Not all curries have to burn your tongue off. This one would go really well with a baked fish or chicken and a hot chilli pickle on the side. Puppadums or bread mandatory.
Enjoy.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:15 am »
Great recipe, thanks CD!! :D
I completely understand family dramas :-))

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:21:15 am »
I grew yellow zucchinis, must plant some more seeds. yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url