Author Topic: New member and new thermomixer!  (Read 5525 times)

Offline HappyVegan

• View Profile
    • Vegan Happy Place
New member and new thermomixer!
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:49:09 am »
Hi everyone,

I ordered my shiny new TM5 on Sunday and now I知 just waiting for word on its arrival. I am extremely excited. I am currently hoping to have it on my bench by next weekend (which also happens to be a long one in Melbourne so I値l have extra time to celebrate/experiment).

In the meantime I知 stocking my pantry and plotting what to make first. Converting my favourite faux cheese sauce and a perfected seitan roast are both on the list, but I知 also planning to work my way through veganising as many of the BCB recipes as I can too (I知 vegan if the username didn稚 tip you off!).

So, hi! What are you best tips for a total TMX newbie? Anything I absolutely must try? And most of all, any tips for managing the anticipation while I wait for it to arrive?

-VHP

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: New member and new thermomixer!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:10:36 am »
Welcome to the forum, VHP, you'll love it here (and I'll be looking forward to your recipes as I am a sort-of vegan)!

My best advice is to always keep your TMX on your benchtop then sort out the first couple of recipes you plan to make and ensure you have the ingredients ready to go.  I found that things move so quickly cooking with the TMX that you have to be super-organised, measure out all your ingredients and  prep your veges, etc.before getting started and life is a breeze.

Quirky Jo's blog is worth a browse as well.  Although not a vegan or vegetarian, she has a lot of great ideas and many of her recipes can be adapted to suit your diet.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:14:41 am »
Hi VHP,
You are going to have lots of fun when your TM5 arrives next week. There are plenty of recipes posted here that you could adapt to suit your diet. Chookie is experimenting with "Aquafaba" and making some amazing recipes.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:10:48 am »
Hi VHP, welcome to the forum.  An exciting time ahead for you, as you love to cook you will be so busy working out which of your recipes you can convert to the TMX.  Nice to have you on board.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline HappyVegan

• View Profile
    • Vegan Happy Place
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 01:12:33 am »
Thank you everyone! What a welcoming group. I am very excited to finally find out what all the fuss is about. I am sure I'll go overboard in the first few months so expect lots of recipes from me as soon as I get my head around the methods!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 07:21:04 am »
Hello and welcome HappyVegan. You will be amazed at what you will be able to do with your thermomix. We can all understand how excited you feel.
From memory I think the first thing I made was Vegetable Stock concentrate. I find it extremely useful.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:05 pm »
Hi HappyVegan, welcome to the forum.
One thing I always have now is LSA (mix of Linseed,Sunflower seed & Almonds) so quick to make and useful in baking, sprinkling on breakfast etc.
Nut Paste is a must in our house also, and like Cookie said Vegetable stock paste is a basic stock most of us use for soups, curries, stews etc.
Enjoy your Thermie!

Offline HappyVegan

• View Profile
    • Vegan Happy Place
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 01:43:49 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thank you all again for the warm welcome!

My TMX has arrived! today, in fact. I am still very excited and needed to share my adventure thus far.

I made stock paste with my consultant (who is lovely and very understanding about my dietary requirements) which went to plan and left me feeling pretty confident with the machine.

As soon as we finished delivery, I immediately made pizza dough (with the addition of some freshly chopped garlic, sage, and rosemary left over from stock paste construction) and then hummus - both already vegan. Then I had to pay my spouse attention because he got home, and we decorated our pizzas with smoked tofu, olives, sundried tomatoes and vegan cheese. After dinner I made vanilla and raspberry custard, by swapping 60/40 coconut cream and water for the full fat milk and adding an extra 20g cornflour to make up for the missing eggs. I added a few frozen raspberries immediately after the auto setting finished and mixed them on 2 for about 10 seconds. It was delicious. I don't normally bother with dessert during the week but the new arrival motivated me!

It's a work night and our fridge is only so big, so I'm resisting the urge to make anything else tonight. Tomorrow I'll have a batch of homemade mustard ready to mill which is perfect timing, and I'll be trying some "hot wet rice" (risotto) as well - all very thrilling!

Best,
VHP

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »
A great first days cooking VHP 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:15:29 pm »
It's nice to see you are up and running HappyVegan, you'll find you'll make extra things just because you can!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:01 am »
It all sounds very exciting VHP.  You are certainly off to a good start.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 09:50:34 pm »
Hi and welcome Happy Vegan, you will love your thermomix. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url