Author Topic: Thermie not switching on - HELP  (Read 11148 times)

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
Thermie not switching on - HELP
« on: October 17, 2014, 04:09:28 am »
Mayday Mayday Mayday,

This is a general distress call to all knowledgeable Thermomix owners and users.

I landed last night (Thursday) all bleary eyed and jet lagged after my flight from the UK to MrsRC2B and all was well in the world, VERY well actually!

I have unpacked today and got the Thermie out of the incredibly well protected 'bubble' that it travelled in, connected it to the supply and..............NOTHING  :-\

It won't turn on, it doesn't bleep at me. The Dial is in the jug removal setting so I can take that off etc but there is nothing going on with it. Any help or suggestions gladly received. Oh, I have tried multiple adapters and wall sockets just as a process of elimination.

TTFN

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Thermie not switching on - HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 04:25:20 am »
Turn it off at the switch, unplug and plug back in, then turn on power switch at wall, then activate TM. Try that.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 04:25:33 am »
OMG! I am very upset for you. Yikes. It might have to go to hospital. How did it travel? Was it on it's side unable to move?  You did push some buttons didn't you?

Where are you? Do you need a consultant?  If you  are in Perth you can walk it in to the hospital.

Oh dear. Wot to do?
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:06:22 am »
Is UK power the same as here? It is only 3pm here, perhaps you could ring Head Office before 5. 1800 004 838 is the toll free number.
Good luck.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:10:50 am »
The power is the same Cookie.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:57 am »
Mm, that's not the problem then.
RC give it a gentle shake and see what happens.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:45:43 pm »
Have you pushed the power button?

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:40 pm »
OK everyone thanks for the replies and helpful suggestions.

After trying all of the things mentioned including going out and purchasing another two power adapters I had to admit a state of panicked defeat and call the Thermomix support team. Clearly my pleads to the German Gods of chopping, blending and cooking weren't getting through!
I will have to admit at this point that I was very tempted to have the conversation with MrsRC2B about biting the bullet and getting a TM5 whilst TM31 was firmly stuck in none working mode, although it wasn't a conversation (or expense!) I relished (no pun intended) as she hasn't even used our TM31 yet.
Anyway, the chap I spoke to on the phone was as helpful and indeed sympathetic as could be, advising that I was "in luck" albeit it small amounts as the new Queensland HQ is located in Brisbane. What's more it's less than 5 minutes from MrsB2Bs office and I had to collect her from work anyway.
Address in hand and support call lodged I hurriedly made my way to Thermie hospital. Trying desperately to work out what on earth it could be. Believe me when I say it was packed with utmost TLC as I was paranoid enough about the questions I may get from airport security etc.......I certainly didn't want to get thermie all the way to its new home only to find it had been cosmetically damaged in some way. Believe me that jug is a perfect container for packing socks and underwear into! Clearly making sure it was clean first..... Actually making sure the underwear was clean too....... Hahaha!
Anyway, long story short the team couldn't have been more helpful if they tried. There was a service engineer leaving the office as I was walking in who swiftly "about turned" when he saw me carrying in a TM31 casualty. Between himself and the front of office manager an action plan was agreed and swiftly put into action, all whilst I stayed in the reception area! So, two cook books later (Australian EDC & A Quirky Cooking) and discussions about the merits of me becoming a demonstrator (not sure how that topic came up but there you go) my beloved Thermie was returned to me, not only able to power up but suitably attired with a new power cord sporting none other than a real Aussie plug,  no need for travel adaptors for this thermie.... No sir! It transpired that my attempts to return the cable into its coil housing (or that's what I thought it was) may have been the cause of the issue, although there was some discussion about the plug adapter also. If honest I didn't really mind what it was as thermie was working again!

Essentially, I know that there a few "miffed" customers out there due to the timings and comms surrounding the TM5 etc and they may have a point BUT......... to those people I would say,

"You have purchased a quality product with exceptional levels of support that I doubt either could or indeed would be matched by high Street retailers. Enjoy your purchase whatever version it is/was for the reasons you purchased in the first place. Now enjoy it all the more knowing it absolutely will be supported if my experience is anything to go by."

An eventful first 24 hours back in Aus and we haven't even tried thermie together yet..... That comes later when she wakes up and not being disturbed my me struggling with jet lag :(

Will post a few comments about our first few dishes together.

Thanks again everyone.

TTFN

RC (and his working Thermie)
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:54 pm »
Good news your TM is working again RC.Enjoy your cooking with MrsRC2B. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:16:52 pm »
Great to hear it all worked in the end, looking forward to hearing of your adventures in Oz.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:48:27 pm »
 Thank goodness Rc I could hardly sleep  last night worrying about you. Lovely to wake up to good news!

I hope you give the same care and attention to MrsRC2B!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 09:51:45 pm »
All's well that ends well.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:15 pm »
Great news, glad you have it working again. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 10:43:17 pm »
Brilliant news RC, I can imagine how relieved and pleased you are.  It's great when you have a service person in your home town.  Onward and upward from here.  Good luck with everything.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 12:29:58 am »
Phew! So pleased you (or should I say Thermie) are back up and running. Could have been a disasterous start to your new life.  Wishing the three of you all the best in your new ventures.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.