Author Topic: Melt & Mix Chocolate Chunk Mud Cake  (Read 14618 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Melt & Mix Chocolate Chunk Mud Cake
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
This is a recipe I found in a magazine - I think it was a Food Ideas one but not sure.

Ingredients

200g butter
300g cooking chocolate - good quality & split into 200g & 100g lots
1/4 cup hot water
20g cocoa
1 tspn vanilla extract
200g castor sugar
3 eggs - at room temperature
120g SR flour

Method

Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20 cm round cake pan and line it with baking paper.

Place butter, 200g of chopped chocolate and hot water into TM bowl. Melt for 5 mins at 37C on Speed 1.
Add cocoa to warm chocolate mixture and stir for 5 secs on Speed 4. Add vanilla, castor sugar and eggs. Mix for 10 secs on Speed 4.
Sift in flour and stir on for 1.30 mins on Speed 2.
Pour half the mixture into prepared cake pan. Chop remaining chocolate and sprinkle half over the batter. Top with rest of the batter
and chopped chocolate.
Bake cake for 55 to 60 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre has moist crumbs clinging.

I have always made this cake with a mix of either peppermint or caramel chocolate mixed with the cooking chocolate (approx 200g of flavoured chocolate to 100g cooking chocolate) and this gives a lovely muddy cake and my family love it. This is the one we often use for birthday cakes as everyone loves it.

Will aim to post a photo. Realised I made the cake tonight without adding baking powder to the plain flour I always cook with. Doesn't look much different to what it normally does.

members' comments

Denzelmum - Made this with 200g Cadbury cararamello.  Turn out yum...
I took it out from the tin within 10 min and some  bit still stuck on the baking paper.  Collapsed a bit in the middle, but so moist and yummy.

Seezora - I have made this a few times, and mine seems to always collapse in the middle but that's probably my oven not being on a low enough heat. This is great with Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting.  Leave in the fridge overnight so that the cake can 'set'.  Serve with fresh strawberries. ...or you can eat the batter as is?? (guilty as charged)

Amy - I made this for the farewell morning tea for a (chocoholic) friend who was leaving to have her first baby. I actually found this conversion on the forum after I had already converted and made it myself!
I must admit I made it extra decadent... I did a layer of cake batter, a layer of Cadbury's Snack flavoured chocolate, another layer of cake batter, another layer of Snack, and then spread the last little bit of cake batter over the top. I used the rest of the block of Snack chocolate to decorate the top.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:12:45 am by judydawn »

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Re: Melt & Mix Chocolate Chunk Mud Cake
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:54:35 pm »
Sounds yummo Roxy! DD's birthday is a couple of weeks away, so might try it for that  :P
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:23:56 pm »
Please post a photo of this one?  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »
Going to add this to my "Must Try" list!! Thanks! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:09 pm »
Could you please clarify how much chocolate is melted and how much is left to add in chunks. Sounds Delicious!
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:26 am »
Hannah, it's 200g that is melted with the butter and 100g added in as chunks.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:21:06 am »
Great recipe.  I heard this as a tip at one class about heating the mix before going into the oven and it helps speed up the cooking.

Thanks - sounds like a moist delicious cake.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:40:32 pm »
I wonder how this would go with turkish delight in the middle?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:28:54 am »

YUMMY!........if you like it  ;).   Unfortunately I'm the only one who does, so that would mean I'd eat the whole cake  ;D

Can't wait to try this RoxyS!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:28:22 am »

It is worth trying.  Shane Delia at Maha in Melbourne makes doughnuts with Turkish delight in the centre.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 12:05:33 am »
Made this with 200g Cadbury cararamello.  Turn out yum...
I took it out from the tin within 10 min and some  bit still stuck on the baking paper.  Collapse a bit in the middle, but so moist and yummy.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Seezora

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 04:47:40 am »
I have made this a few times, and mine seems to always collapse in the middle, but that's probably my oven not being on a low enough heat.

This is great with Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting.  Leave in the fridge overnight so that the cake can 'set'.  Serve with fresh strawberries.

...or you can eat the batter as is?? (guilty as charged ;) )

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 05:32:02 am »
I love cake batter too.  ;) ;D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 07:12:09 am »
Hi guys,

I made this for the farewell morning tea for a (chocoholic) friend who was leaving to have her first baby. I actually found this conversion on the forum after I had already converted and made it myself!

I must admit I made it extra decadent... I did a layer of cake batter, a layer of Cadbury's Snack flavoured chocolate, another layer of cake batter, another layer of Snack, and then spread the last little bit of cake batter over the top. I used the rest of the block of Snack chocolate to decorate the top.
I have attached a photo. Couldn't get it to show up, but you can see it if you follow the link. I hope.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:09:13 am »
Can't see anything except a lot of letters Amy :(
Your cake sounded so yummy :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.