Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4479575 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1305 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:44 am »
Andie, that toaster actually sounds dangerous!  It's a bit of a worry and may be an idea to query the safety guidlines with your appropriate authorities.

The next time I toast something, I'm going to check the external temperature with my infrared thermometer to see the true surface temp. 

Well if it is getting that hot then something is wrong. I have had mine for some time and it makes perfect toast and it is still cool to touch.
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: December 06, 2011, 05:49:20 am »
What a lovely story Cookie.  :D

Nice toaster Andi.  You'd think they would take the heat into consideration, but I guess you can't really shield glass too well from heat can you.  I've had a sunbeam for years that works quite okay, not as sexy as some but I don't leave mine out, it's gets put away in the cupboard after use.  I think if I had a nice looking one like the Magimix I would want to leave it out on show.  :D

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 06, 2011, 05:51:42 am »

Nice toaster Andi.  You'd think they would take the heat into consideration, but I guess you can't really shield glass too well from heat can you.  I've had a sunbeam for years that works quite okay, not as sexy as some but I don't leave mine out, it's gets put away in the cupboard after use.  I think if I had a nice looking one like the Magimix I would want to leave it out on show.  :D

I think it is not right JulieO as I can touch the glass on mine  and it is not hot.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 06, 2011, 05:54:08 am »
Oh it doesn't sound right then.  Andi maybe you should contact where you bought it from and tell them so you can get an exchange.  I do like the look of it.  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: December 06, 2011, 06:36:37 am »

....it is  :) and just proves how timeless lego is.

.....now that is one sexy toaster!  :D

Just bought the new Delicious mag and that's all..........so still being a good girl  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1310 on: December 06, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »
As promised, I have given the Magimix Vision a few more tasks, toasting frozen bread, toasting English muffins and it does a credible job on all of these.

However, the external surfaces do get hot.

In this photo, taken 4+ minutes after I toasted an English muffin, I am aiming the infrared thermometer at the metal housing just above the front glass.
I have it set to read in Fahrenheit so you can see the little "F" in the window.

176.8 F., (80.44 C.) is hot enough to burn. 
I used tongs to pick the muffin halves out of the toaster to avoid any chance of coming in contact with the edges of the toasting slot which was certainly hotter than the outer front edge.

In my opinion, unless I have gotten a unit that is not working correctly, this is not as safe to use at the "cool-side" toasters. 
Granted, my vintage toasters do get this hot, or hotter, but I expect that.  For a generation of children who have grown up with modern cool-side toasters, and who don't have any idea that they can get burned on one of these, I think it is not good engineering.
If an inexpensive Black & Decker Cool Touch toaster can be produced and sold for less than $50.00 then I think an expensive toaster like this should also have the "cool touch" advantage. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »
I definitely think you have a lemon andiesenji. I just now toasted some rye bread on five and I was still able to put my hand flat on the glass side where it was warm but not hot. When the toast finished I could still touch the metal at the top without burning. Yes it was hot  but it seemed not hot enough to burn my hand . The toast however gets very hot and I usually use tongs to lift it out. Not a bad thing.

This toaster sells for between  $350-499  in Australia and I would be royally peeved if it generated that kind of heat.

Gretchen

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: December 07, 2011, 06:36:48 am »
Early Christmas present for the teenager

24 inch widescreen led pc monitor.....her other monitor was making sizzling sounds  :o  so the bigger upgrade was most appreciated  ;).......which now gives me blackmail material!

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 07, 2011, 08:39:31 am »
i am buying  new upper teeth tomorrow does that count ;D . i really do need a bit of laughter at the moment
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 07, 2011, 09:34:22 am »
Teeth  trump a monitor .  Well maybe not with a teenager!  And food luck too.

Gert

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 07, 2011, 09:35:45 am »
Teeth  trump a monitor .  Well maybe not with a teenager!  And food luck too.

Gert

I hate it's when my iPad changes my words.  Good
Luck to you.

Gert

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: December 07, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
 l went to buy a laptop today , one my husband had chosen allready
as our computer keeps on crashing and we not shore why 
and was told they had a new one out back when my husband rang 
l saw it liked it . l choose a bag and mouse and saw 2 remote cars too l which looked pretty cool l had travell l hour to get to shop
for them to tell me, one hour after waiting  sorry we cant find it . l was polite but not happy and told that no thanks and walk out
l felt like l just wasted all that time

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:56 am »
Poor you.

I bought a book called "Wobble" yesterday. It is a jelly book. I thought as I make the icecream I may as well start making the jelly too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:36:37 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: December 08, 2011, 07:01:16 am »
Today I went grocery shopping but managed to put a new tart and quiche dish into the trolley LOL
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:42 am »
i am buying  new upper teeth tomorrow does that count ;D . i really do need a bit of laughter at the moment

Hope all is well Uni.

My tree told me it needed some lollipops

and a little treat for me

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:52:27 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!