Author Topic: Lahmucan  (Read 3910 times)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
Lahmucan
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:02 pm »
Lahmucan is a kind of Turkish pizza with minced lamb. I have found a few recipes on-line I could convert but wondered if Farfallina or anyone else has made it already?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Lahmucan
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:30:11 pm »
Hopefulcook,  the Turkish bread,  that i posted, would probably be OK as a base.  I had a look on uTube and the base for many of the Turkish breads with fillings or toppings are similar.   I will certainly try some.  Rick Stein shows how.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:55:04 pm »
Yes I saw his. We lived in Istanbul for 3 years, but regretably I was a non-meat-eater then, so did not eat the real thing. DH on the other hand loved it, so much so he had to take up running to undo some of the damage to the waist-line!!! From memory it was more like a thin pizza than the pide-style bread (which I did eat a lot of!!!).
Your pide looks great, I will give that a bash too. It is often served with sucuk, which is a kind of sausage and melted kasar cheese, with the sides folded up.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:25:08 pm »
I think the dough could be rolled out with a rolling pin.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:01:45 am »
Hopefulcook, I make lahmacun using Julie Le Clerc's recipe (out of "Taking tea in the Medina" cookbook) and I'm not sure if it's an "authentic" recipe but it tastes really good.  It's basically a pita bread dough on which you add a lamb topping (lamb mince fried in olive oil with onion, garlic, allspice, chilli, lemon, S&P and pine nuts).  You bake the whole thing and dollop with hummus and fresh coriander and mint.  Does it sound right?
I haven't made pita bread in the TMX yet (only had my TMX for a month  :)) but like most doughs this would be easy.  As for frying the lamb I would be enclined to use a frypan to enhance flavours.
Hope this helps  :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »
Made a version of this tonight... first attempt and because of lack of sleep (DD2 has an ear infection) opted for a cheats way so I bought pita bread for the base.

Topping...
Blitz 1 onion, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1 tablespoon red pepper paste, small handful continental parsley and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (plus a bit of salt) - blitz until a paste is formed. I then stirred the lamb mince through by hand (did not want to over-process) but I am sure you could do this in thermie too...

To cook...
Then spread VERY thinly (raw) onto pita bread (or pizza dough) and cook in a hot oven mine was 230 degrees with the grill on as well). Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 mins (check it because it will burn!!!).
To serve... put hot lahmacun on a plate and add fresh squeeze of lemon, diced fresh tomatoes and coarsely chopped continental parsley - pile it on, fold it up and enjoy!!
DH ate quite a lot of these while we lived in Istanbul and he gave me the thumbs up. I hope my instructions are clear enough!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »
Sounds good to me hopefulcook and with DH giving you the thumbs up, looks like you are on a winner there.  Tell me, if you use freshly made pizza dough, would it still cook in such a short time?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.