Author Topic: Puddina  (Read 6933 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Puddina
« on: January 03, 2010, 09:08:32 am »
So - do you get left over bread and rolls and wonder 'just what else can i do with this?' (other than bread pudding and bread crumbs for the freezer) I got this recipe a couple years ago off the 'Food Safari' (if I remember correctly) on SBS. It is Maltese and is a fruit cake but very moist. I'm not happy about using custard powder anymore and don't have it even in the house, so does anyone know how they would have originally made it - not with custard powder????
Ingredients
1 loaf day-old bread
375g sugar
2 tbsp custard powder
2 tbsp cornflour
4 tbsp cocoa
2 eggs, beaten
500g mixed dried fruit
250g almonds
250g glace cherries, halved
Vanilla to taste
4 tbsp whisky, brandy or sherry

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 200oC
2. Tear bread into small pieces and soak in cold water for 15 minutes until soft.
3. Place bread in a colander and mash, draining liquid.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and add sugar, custard powder, cornflour and cocoa.
5. Stir in beaten eggs and mix well.
6. Add dried fruit and half of the almonds and glace cherries. Add vanilla and whisky.
7. Pour into a baking dish and decorate with remaining cherries and almonds.
8. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour (check puddina by piercing - should be dry when you take it out).

Can be served warm or cold.

members' comments

faffa - Maybe cornflour and vanilla essence Nay. Otherwise someone pointed me in the direction of Orgran Custard Powder which has no nasty in it.

cookie - Nay-Nay, I've made that and loved it. (We're fans of Food Safari)

Trudy - I downloaded this recipe for my daughter as her in-laws are from Malta.  She has made it a few times and her Mother-in-law said it was just like she used to make.  It makes a lot and freezes very well. I feel it's more like a very moist pudding than a cakem DD serves it with custard as a pudding.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:14:17 am by judydawn »

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Puddina
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:54 am »
Maybe cornflour and vanilla essence Nay. Otherwise someone pointed me in the direction of Orgran Custard Powder which has no nasty in it.  My local Coles don't have it, Woolies do some times but my local Health Shop stocks it. Not cheap compared to other custard powder but for the odd time in recipes like this it is ok. I am the same and don't have the normal custard powder in my house now either  :)

http://www.freefromadditive.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:20:25 am »
Nay-Nay, I've made that and loved it. (We're fans of Food Safari). I also made the meat dish, I think from the same proramme. It was meat with something rolled in it???? I think. Maybe started with a B.

Sorry can't help with the custard powder, lucky Kathryn could.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »
Thanks faffa - i think I have seen that box somewhere in town, might try that.
Not sure Cookie about the meat dish - the sweet ones always seem to catch my eye! I made it a few times but have only just refound the recipe today after going through the loose bits of paper in my recipe book again. Can't wait to give it ago again.  ;)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:48:54 am »
I downloaded this recipe for my daughter as her in-laws are from Malta.  She has made it a few times and her Mother-in-law said it was just like she used to make.  It makes a lot and freezes very well.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:18:56 am »
You can't get a better accolade than that Trudy - pleasing a mother-in-law from the old country would not be an easy task.
Might have to try this recipe myself.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:35 pm »
Thanks Nay-nay - as faffa says - cornflour and vanilla (and maybe an extra egg) instead of the custard powder.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:24:23 am »
Judy if you do try this I feel it's more like a very moist pudding than a cake.  Erin serves it with custard as a pudding!!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »
I have more use for a pudding than a cake Trudy so that suits me right down to the ground. The fact that it freezes well is handy too - a quick dessert for unexpected visitors. I need to empty the freezer out a bit before I can do this one though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.