Author Topic: Mexican Corn Soup  (Read 11980 times)

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
Mexican Corn Soup
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »
My first recipe post! I served this at a dinner party this weekend and people were GUSHING about how much they loved it.  Easy, and so cheap!
Adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/mexican-corn-soup-recipe.html

Name of Recipe: Mexican Corn Soup
Number of People:4
Ingredients:
3 cups frozen, thawed corn kernels
2 medium tomatoes
1-2 chipotle peppers with ~1 tbsp adobe sauce
~1L chicken stock
1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano (regular oregano works)
4 slices thick cut bacon
1/2 onion
4 cloves garlic
~1 tbsp vegetable oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream, (optional)
3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup queso fresco/cotijo (the soft mexican crumbly cheese, VERY similar to feta)

Preparation:
1 Place half of the corn kernels in blender with tomatoes, chipotle pepper, oregano, and  half the stock in bowl. Puree speed 8 15 sec. Set aside.

2. Cook bacon in a skillet until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Don’t throw away the fat, but drain bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Once cool, crumble the bacon up. Set aside.

3. Chop onion and garlic for 5 sec speed 5.  Scrape down.  Add
bacon fat (trust me), if needed add a bit more vegetable oil to make ~2 tbsp fat total.  Sauté 8 min varoma temp speed 2, MC off.

4.  Add tomato-corn puree to bowl with remaining half of stock. Cook temp 100 speed 1.5 until bowl reaches 100 (5-10 min for me), then add remaining corn kernels.

5.  Simmer 90-100 degrees speed 1.5, MC off, for 20 min until thickened. Stop halfway through (and again at the end) and remove any foam with a large flat metal spoon.

6.  Add salt, pepper, cream, and half of the parsley.  Mix 10 sec speed 2.

7.  Serve, garnished with crumbled bacon, remaining parsley, crumbled cheese, and/or broken up tortilla chips

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
I had the chipotle peppers, mexican oregano and queso because I was serving a whole Mexican meal and it was worth the trip to the Mexican grocery store.  If you don't have the peppers you could easily use a jalapeño or chilli, but wouldn't have the same smokey flavour.

I didn't end up using the whole amount of cream because it already has a lovely creamy texture.

As far as a heat rating goes - with 1 chipotle pepper it's really very mild, 2 or 3 and it's getting on the spicy side. It also depends how much of the adobe sauce you add. Note- adding the optional cream counteracts the spice somewhat so keep that in mind.

Also, I was lazier last time and just fried the garlic and onions (in the TM of course), and then dumped in the tomatoes and 1/2 the corn and 1/2 the broth and the spices and puréed.  Then added remaining broth, heated to 100 and added the last of the corn. Saved a bowl not having to transfer the tomato corn purée out and back in again. Made no difference! 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:55:02 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Corn Soup
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:31:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing your first recipe with us Laura, one which Mexican food lovers will enjoy I'm sure.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:00 pm »
Great conversion Laura 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:37:28 pm »
Thanks Laura, my DH would love this.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:47 pm »
Thanks Laura, we are going to love this. We went to USA & Canada last year & just loved the freshness of all the Mexican food. Nothing like the Tex Mex we have in Aus. Where abouts are you in Canada ?

Halex :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:55:22 pm »
Halex, I'm in Toronto, where Mexican food is very "in" at the moment.  Nothing like what they get down in the southern US, but more of a modern take.  But every time I serve Mexican food my guests seem to love it.  I just don't make it too spicy because my BF can't handle it!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:57:48 pm »
Very much looking firward to some more Mexican coversions :). We were in Vancouver then up on The Rocky Mountaineer, so beautiful :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:46 pm »
Hi Laura.. Will definitely be trying this! Thanks for the conversion and for the detail you put into it! :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
Sounds such a tasty recipe.  Thanks so much for posting.  Will be making for sure.  :D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 07:38:44 am »
sounds lovely Laura  :)  I have the peppers in adobe sauce too!
What would you rate this dish on a "hotness" /spicy scale from 1-10 Laura?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:04 am »
I have made this a couple more times (it is so easy and goes over very well with guests) and with 1 chipotle pepper it's really very mild, 2 or 3 and it's getting on the spicy side. It also depends how much of the adobe sauce you add. Note- adding the optional cream counteracts the spice somewhat so keep that in mind.

Also, I was lazier last time and just fried the garlic and onions (in the TM of course), and then dumped in the tomatoes and 1/2 the corn and 1/2 the broth and the spices and puréed.  Then added remaining broth, heated to 100 and added the last of the corn. Saved a bowl not having to transfer the tomato corn purée out and back in again. Made no difference!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:45:55 pm by LauraTO »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 04:00:52 am »
will make, thanks Laura
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 03:15:57 am »
Had a big ziploc of this in the freezer and tonight served it with some leftover cubed cooked chicken and grated cheddar on top. Froze well, and my bf liked this "meaty" version