Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 801686 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2012, 03:48:45 am »
Ok two of us and two dogs on $100 a week easy peasy as I make all the dog food anyway and we eat only 2 meals a day.  Main meal is at lunch time and DH  loves a slice of bread and Vegemite for supper.  I reckon a week of my breakfast congee would cost only about  $5  and DH toast and stuff not much more.  No more crumpets for him though.  Oh oh the coffee I buy is $38 a kilo. I will have to figure that one out.

I guess I am in.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2012, 04:08:45 am »
Obbie I did the $21 challenge earlier this year. I had actually just got the book out of the library and was on my way home and got a ticket(!) Hence had lots of motivation to not spend on groceries that week to pay for the ticket!! I didnt quite manage the $21 though - I think I ended up spending about $39.

I dont know how I will go with the $100 challenge as I also cant walk past things on special but would like to give it a go (any savings have to be good) - so count me in.

jakodai

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2012, 04:27:57 am »
I want to join this too, but not until next week. Everything's a bit bare at the moment and this Friday I'm doing my big Costco shop.

My family is just me & my son, so $100 should certainly be easy to hit. I also have a Border Collie but he's on a premium dry food that I buy in bulk every 2 months. I have a shopping budget of $150 a week at the moment, which normally includes my Costco shopping and everything else (apart from the dog food).

IDEALLY I'd like to be under $50 a week for my weekly shop, put $50 away for my monthly Costco shop and save $50. It shouldn't be too hard as I buy flour, meat, cleaning and things like that in bulk, and really only need to buy milk, yoghurt and fruit & vegetables each week. It also gives me more encouragement to make my own bread, too.

Thanks for the challenge - I hope I can make it. I'll report back next week-end with how I went... It'd be interesting to keep a tally of how much we saved as a forum, hey? I can help out if you need it Halex, I'm slightly addicted to spreadsheets... :-S

Exciting!!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2012, 04:44:31 am »
I will start my budget next Thursday when I do my main shopping. My aim is to go under $400 (f/night for 7 people) then the rest on milk and bread for remainder of the f/night
I think my allowance is around $240 week? ($480 f/night)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:38 am »
Dede, your budget s $230 per week, that is what I suggested to Faffa, but it is up to you :)

Gert, will add you on, pets & wine dont count ;D

Jakodai, would avsolutely love you to do spreadsheets, I am analytical so I love to analise everyones figures. will add you to the list too :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2012, 06:01:31 am »
Hally, I can do it for $140 per week, prices are dearer up here.
Lemons are $4 a kilo at the moment up here.
I could sell heaps and make $$$$$ :-))

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:08 am »

Gert, will add you on, pets & wine dont count ;D

Well tell that to poor old Elvis and Jaxon. :'( :'(

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2012, 06:10:25 am »
I think Tycho & Tangles are pleased, they still get their tins of tuna otherwise it would have been dry biscuits for 1 mnth ;D

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:53 am »
Tonight we are having leftover beef dish that DH made on Monday night with leftover rice and leftover vegies, tomorrow night is left over risotto from last night.
Is dinning out to be included?
So far this week I have spent $17.75
I went to Tenina's Thai class last night and really want to make some of her recipes from the class, so will have to budget that in.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2012, 06:23:05 am »
I'll join too  ;D

I'm glad pet food doesn't count as we have 2 of the most spoilt dogs around.  All of their food is home cooked and they eat well and a lot (one is a greyhound).

It's only my partner and I, so we should be able to get well under the $100.  I do have some indulgences though - I only buy organic local milk, free range chicken and pork and definitely no supermarket branded products (not because of quality, only because I don't support what the 2 big supermarkets are doing).  It will be interesting to see how we go  :)
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2012, 06:43:33 am »
I'll join too  ;D

I'm glad pet food doesn't count as we have 2 of the most spoilt dogs around.  All of their food is home cooked and they eat well and a lot (one is a greyhound).

It's only my partner and I, so we should be able to get well under the $100.  I do have some indulgences though - I only buy organic local milk, free range chicken and pork and definitely no supermarket branded products (not because of quality, only because I don't support what the 2 big supermarkets are doing).  It will be interesting to see how we go  :)

If you can afford to I agree with buying local products always. The reality is that most people with families cannot afford to buy what we want to buy. Isn't that a damn shame. I feel so sorry for farmers and really appreciate all their hard work on my behalf but that does not help them much. I do what I can in a small way  but cannot afford to feel guilty about buying some necessities  cheaper. I hate Coles and Woolies. 

Gert

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2012, 07:36:55 am »
JudyDawn that is very encouraging that you have still managed to have your freezer and pantry well stocked after 3 years doing this. Great to know and what I have been trying to do too. I have been including most items in my $100, that is, cleaners etc and pet food for two cats and one rat although, Bella ( my rat) eats what we eat and as you can imagine her meals are teeny.   I don't include cosmetics and wine. I consider these discretionary choices and the fruits of saving on groceries :)
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2012, 08:42:47 am »
Ok, ok, you've talked me into it - count me in Hally! Feel like I'm cheating a bit since the freezer is full of meals and the pantry's pretty well stocked - so no excuses, right?
Might even be able to include wine purchase in the $100 - no wait, STUPID idea! 
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2012, 08:58:16 am »
Katiej, i feel the same as you, hence aussie farmer deliveries for a lot of our food.

Have had to re-organise my menu a little, we only have peas on the veg front, plus a couple of other things, celery, onion.. So sausages tonight, roast pork & veg tomorrow, friday is now chicken kievs as ds said NOT SOUP  AGAIN.  Fantastc as 500g of chicken breast set aside for soup so thats what I need for kiev.

Have just under $18 left, spend it wisely  H :)

Its really making me think about what to buy etc, loving it. Dh has given me 2 weeks max..... I said no way, i have about 20 people doing this, I cant fail. So thank you everyone for joining my ride. :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2012, 09:03:50 am »
if u have eggs u could make this
i don't need a recipe i'm italian