Author Topic: Different strokes for different folks  (Read 4776 times)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Different strokes for different folks
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:35:20 am »
I noticed that a lot of tastes change with geography.  For example I think I saw one recipe that called for less sugar the English version versus the Australian version...  Amanda indicated in another thread that perhaps canned tuna may not be that popular in Oz.  I'd guess that here in the States, we consume more fat and beef in our recipes.  Are there other "geographic" differences that should be taken into consideration when converting or sharing recipes?

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Different strokes for different folks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:56 am »
Warren, I bake a lot and I have noticed a lot of US recipes use 'shortening', sometimes as well as butter.  We don't use it at all here - at least not in cookies and other baked goods.
I have also noticed that a lot of the US recipes for cakes etc have enormous amounts of sugar - I always cut that back when I am baking.
On the weekend my daughter made cupcakes from a Magnolia Bakery (popular US bakery?) recipe.  The cakes were divine with a lovely vanilla flavour, but too sweet.  If I had realised where she got the recipe I would have reduced the sugar.
Just an 'off the top of my head' thought about differences. :)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:31:16 am »
PS
I think that most Australian pantries have a tin of tuna somewhere in their recesses.  Mornay and tuna patties are familiar food for kids.
I just don't know anyone who eats a lot of tuna salad.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:50:05 pm »
the only place i know that sells Tuna Salad as per USA would be Subway.  I must admit Tuna salad was a particular favourite of mine (along with Chicken salad) when in the states, mind you I hate to think of the calories !  They are mostly mayonnaise!

mcmich

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:32:31 am »
I also cut down on sugar in recipes when possible, it doesn't make a great differance to the the finshed taste.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »
I've noticed that some Australian recipes use cornflour where we may not do so in the UK.   Maybe we are OK about runnier sauces? 

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »
I also cut down on sugar in recipes when possible, it doesn't make a great differance to the the finshed taste.

I use the Splenda/sugar blends, both white and brown.  The blends substitute 50% to 1  so if a recipe calls for a cup of sugar, one uses half, therefore the finished item has only 1/4 the sugar of the original.  Great for diabetics like me.  Or for people on restricted sugar diets.

I have baked numerous cookies, cakes, quick breads, pies and so on and the ratio works out beautifully.  In fact, although it seems to go against traditional ideas, recipes using only half the amount of sugar, to the full amount of butter or shortening, actually spread less than in the original recipe.  I like this trait as I can get more cookies on a baking sheet.  I flatten them with the bottom of a glass to avoid having compact dome-shaped cookies. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »
Katya, I think in general we Brits do go for runnier sauces and although I do thicken with a lttle plain flour.  Cornflour is too much hassle as like arrowroot, it should be slaked first.  DH is well known for his thick lumpy sauces  :-)) because he insists on using quite a lot of cornflour and doesn't slake it.  I hasten to add that makes sauces on the hob and not in the TM.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire