Author Topic: Thermomix over 4 years old and not lasting well  (Read 11182 times)

Offline pippa

• View Profile
Thermomix over 4 years old and not lasting well
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:59:04 am »
Hi everyone

I am wondering if any else is experienceing faults with older TMXs?  I have had mine since Oct 2010 and have had a few things replaced under warranty (blade seal, lid seal and spatula). The printing on the front is slowly rubbing off, but not bad enough to get it replaced.

About 4 months ago I had trouble with the scales.  It was shipped to Melbourne at my expense and they found nothing wrong.  It is now under measuring again 4 months later.  The feet are clean, the chord is out and it is still under measuring.  And now my measuring cup broke in half last week and I have noticed the hard plastic at the base of the blades where it is contact with the base of the machine is cracking and perishing.

I know I can't expect it to last forever, but I was hoping for a little longer than 4 years!!  Brisbane now has a workshop, so I will taking it there next week.

Anyone else with an older machine having similar problems or a solution?

Cheers

Pippa

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix over 4 years old and not lasting well
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:50 am »
Sorry to hear this Pippa.  I have had my machine for 9 years now.  Yes the writing is starting to wear off but I have been told this can be replaced when I am ready.  Other than that no problems.  Good luck!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:21:31 am »
I've had mine since 2008 and apart from replacing the blades and one small problem (can't even remember what it was but it was within the warranty period), nothing has broken on mine. No printing has come off mine at all, I wash the outside very carefully with warm water. My scales are now untrustworthy though but I just put up with it and use my digital scales.  If the machine ever goes off to have anything fixed, I will ask them to check the scales then.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:30:03 am »
I'm much the same as Judy and Trudy. Yes the signs are wearing off the front but that is through use. The lid seal is pretty much a consumable as they do need replacing every so often. My spatula is pretty well unmarked but I don't use it very often. I prefer softer spatulas and use these. I have killed a couple of those though.
I'm sure you could buy another measuring cup from your consultant.
Let us know how things go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:26:16 am »
Pippa, mine is about five years old, it is still going really well, I've had to get new blades and sharpen the old ones, I have two bowls and use it probably twice a day at least.  So far so good.

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »
Thanks to all above - it sounds like the problems I am having are pretty standard.  I do agree that most of the things I am less than happy about are probably not that huge an issue on such a great machine and due to normal wear and tear.  I have been using digital scales since it went to Melbourne when no problem was found as I never trusted them after that.  The funny thing is I only realise they are faulty when I make risotto and after I put everything in, the bowl is almost full and then the varoma is full to the very very top. 

Thanks for the feedback

Pippa

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 09:49:27 am »
An update on my situation:
My TM went to the service centre over 2 weeks ago and we heard nothing until my husband phoned yesterday.  It was ready - but we still had no idea on how much.  They did however tell my husband that they were swamped with repairs, mostly from north QLD with cockroach infestations.  They offered us a ThermoServer as compensation for the wait.  When I picked it up today, they only charged us for half the service fee and nothing else as we had already sent it to Melbourne at our expense and they had found nothing.  When I mentioned that my MC had sheared in half, they just popped out back and gave me a new one!!  I am very happy with their customer service (of course) and very happy to have my machine back.  It came out of the car at 2.30 and was making smoothies for the kids when they came home from school at 2.45.....ahhhhh all is well with the world

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:09:18 am »
It's nice to read that pippa, a great result with some nice freebies as well.  Well done HO.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:20:43 am »
So glad you have your machine back Pippa.  I hope things keep going well.

Bonsai

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:47 am »
Mine is 4 years old and both the rubber buttons are cracked - not sure if anyone else has had this problem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
Yes, it's been talked about in this thread.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:13 pm »
Great news Pippa. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:39 am »
Lovely to hear of the great service Pippa.

Bonsai my machine is older than yours and the edge of one of my rubber things has worn. To be honest I think it has worn out. From memory it is the scales.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/