Author Topic: Quick beanie mix with arepas  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Quick beanie mix with arepas
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
Quick beanie mix with arepas (adapted from Jude Blereau's Wholefood for the Family)
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:
Arepas
125g masa harina ( white, blue or yellow)
30g melted butter or 3 teaspoons olive oil or ghee
125ml warm water

Beanies
2 tbls EVOO
1/2  medium onion peeled and quartered
2 Carrots roughly chopped
1 stick celery roughly chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 small orange sweet potato (about 120g) peeled and cut into 1cm dice
2 cloves garlic
1 400gm tin pinto, berlotti or kidney beans
1 400gm tin diced tomatoes
1 zucchini cut into 1 cm dice
1 avacodo roughly chopped (optional)
yoghurt or sour cream to serve (optional)
2 tbls chopped corriander leaves

Preparation:
Arepas
Put flour, melted butter or oil and 125ml warm water into  *: mix 5 seconds speed 4 then  :: until dough forms a ball. Add more water if needed. It should be moist but not wet. Place in a bowl covered with moist tea towel and leave to cool.

Beanie mix
Place onion, carrot and celery into  *: and chop speed 5 for 5-7 seconds. The vegetables should be coarsely chopped. Add EVOO and saute 5 minutes on veroma speed 1. Add cumin, chilli and sweet potato then saute for another 4 minutes veroma speed 1.

Add beans and tomatoes and 100ml water then cook for 20 minutes on on 90  ^^  :-:. When the timer sounds add the zucchini and cook for a further 10 minutes

While the beanie  mix is cooking heat a heavy based fry pan (I used a cast iron skillet) without any oil over a high heat. Divide the arepa dough into 4 balls and place one ball between two sheets of baking or grease proof paper and roll out to about 18cm diameter. You may need to un-stick the dough from the grease proof a few times as you roll it. do this for all 4 balls.

Gently remove one sheet of grease proof from one of the areap and place it into the hot pan. gently ease the other sheet of greas proof from the arepa. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side. They should be lightly speckled underneath. Be careful to not overcook them.

Serve beanie mix over aprepa with avocado, sour cream and coriander

Tips/Hints:
Masa harina is ground cornmeal flour that has cooked in a lime solution then dried.

I think this might work well with curry powder instead of the chilli powder.

A tortilla press would assist with making the arepas.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:14:34 pm by Delightful Den »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Quick beanie mix with arepas
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:47:56 pm »
That looks like an interesting recipe.  The arepas sound like a bit of a pain to make, though.  Would it work the same if you rolled them out on a floured board?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Quick beanie mix with arepas
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:26:46 am »
Cuilida I don't think it would work with a floured board. The dough is not like a wheat flour based dough.  It was not really that difficult.  I used good quality baking paper and did not have to release the dough while rolling