Author Topic: Crio Bru  (Read 17469 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Crio Bru
« on: October 13, 2012, 09:29:13 am »
For some time now I've been under the impression that Crio Bru was some sort of coffee substitute.  Now, I'm not a coffee drinker at all - I'm a tea girl - so have not paid any attention to it, but have just looked at the website and am wondering if I've got it wrong.  ???

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Crio Bru
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:17 am »
Amanda it is nothing like coffee. It is like drinking hot chocolate without the fat and sugar.  When you smell it it smells like hot chocolate but it does not taste the same. Tenina recommends trying it with a little sugar and milk. I only had it once and didn't have anything with it just Crio Bru. I found that my nose set my palette up to expect hot chocolate but it doesn't taste like that.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:06:35 am »
DD is correct. The nose is expecting chocolate and although it is chocolates it's not what you expect. My first lot I wasn't enjoying it very much. Then when I ran out I found I wanted some more. I now love it. Like DD I don't have sugar in mine. I make a crio concentrate and just use a little of that with hot water and milk.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:07:25 am »
So if it doesn't taste of chocolate, what on earth does it taste of?
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:30 am »
It tastes chocolately - but I think it is more of an adult chocolate taste, rather than the "cadbury dairy milk" type chocolate taste we have got used to.  At first I found it a bit watery, but now that I am used to it, it is really lovely, and a great alternative to coffee and tea when you want a hot drink that is a bit different.

If you want to try some, pop round one day and I will brew some up for you  ;)
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:54:15 am »
I'll take you up on that Karen before I buy some!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:46 pm »
So is there a preferred flavour as I understand there are 2 or 3 different ones.  ???

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Crio Bru
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:23:11 pm »
Just brewed my first cup of Crio Bru, it was too bitter for me, so I added two tsp of raw sugar ( not so healthy now, but more to my palatte). For those of you who use CB, am I right in thinking I should save the grounds from the brewing for later use??? If so do I dry them out ?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »
By the time I add milk and sugar to it to make it taste nice, I don't think it's particularly healthy anymore. I like it, but find it's a fiddle to make.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:16 pm »
I am hoping it grows on me, as I bought the large bag $33. I will try some in cooking tomorrow..

Offline Moptop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:47:39 pm »
I started with the Cavalla. I now find this a little too weak.  I love the Vega Real. I have it 2/3 Crio and 1/3 milk. Don't add any sugar. It is a fantastic weight loss tool and appetite suppressant. You can add the grounds to curries and casseroles as well as chocolate cakes. Can't live without my Crio!

Moptop
You were born to stand out, don't waste your life trying to fit in.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »
I actually have the Cavallo black cos I wasn't sure I you added milk when I first tried it. Used to it that way now.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Mama Fergie

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
Have to say I personally think its very overrated.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
I started with the Cavalla. I now find this a little too weak.  I love the Vega Real. I have it 2/3 Crio and 1/3 milk. Don't add any sugar. It is a fantastic weight loss tool and appetite suppressant. You can add the grounds to curries and casseroles as well as chocolate cakes. Can't live without my Crio!

Moptop
hi Moptop how much of the grounds would you add to the curry or casseriole?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:17:56 am »
Have to say I personally think its very overrated.

Yup! Agreed. I use the grounds in soap that I make.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand