Author Topic: Fruit Spread  (Read 22719 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Fruit Spread
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:36:02 pm »
Again, taken from the Fast and Easy Cooking book.  Their comments are:  "This is very economical because it is made from the residue of a fruit drink such as old fashioned lemonade.  Don't worry about the citrus seeds and pith, they will contribute pectin and help to set the spread.  If you would like to have a really firm set, use jam sugar instead of granulated sugar." I use granulated sugar, and it sets pretty firm anyway - although I've always been using citrus fruit pulp.  Think that i cook it about 6 or 10 minutes longer than they say, though. 

Ingredients:

fruit pulp from strained fruit drink such as apple and carrot juice
granulated sugar
50 to 100g fruit juice from the drink OR water

Method:

1.  Weigh the fruit pulp into the TM.  If there were no citrus ingredients in the fruit drink, weigh in 1 lemon, cut into quarters.

2.  Add the 2 weights together and calculate the amount of sugar as follows:  If the fruit drink was all citrus, add and equal weight of sugar.  Otherwise, just add two thirds the weight of sugar.

3.  Mix 20 seconds / speed 8 to chop the fruit finely

4.  Scrape down sides and lid with spatula.

5.  Heat 14 minutes / 100oC / speed 1.  Test to see if setting pint has been reached by tilting TM  bowls and checking that the fruit spread at the top is starting to gel.  If not, continue cooking stopping every 3 minutes to check (I leave it longer than 3 minutes, more like a minimum of 5)

6.  Pour into sterilised jars, seal, and keep in fridge (I keep properly sealed jars in a cool place until opened.  I put them in the fridge once they're open.  If jar didn't pop the button to show proper seal, or it was a clean jar rather than sterile, I keep it in the fridge).
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Fruit Spread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:50:44 pm »
Another post I meant to thank you for  :-[

It is great to be able to use things like the residue from the cordial. 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:20 am »
Have been making that apple tea so instead of making apple sauce with the pulp, might try this one.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:35 am »
I made this today with leftover from lemon/lime cordial.  It tasted really awful I didn't even bother putting it into jars..  It had a nasty bitter taste.  Has anyone had any success with this fruit spread or similar?  I think it is because of the pips/pith, but the original recipe does say not to worry about them... :'(

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 01:46:10 am »
Am making this right this minute and had a little taste and yes it is slightly bitter but the sugar kind of balances it out, did you use the amount of sugar stated? 

Also some lemons have a lot more pith than others so this would definately contribute to the bitterness, I would just add more sugar to compensate.

Will post a photo when finished and in the jars.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:39 am »
I've made it with the leftovers from lemonade quite a few times but haven't had that problem  ???  Well, I mean it tastes like lemon marmalade, which has a little bit of bitterness, but nothing unpleasant.  Knittercook's suggestion of thicker pith sounds likely.  I'd second her suggestion to try adding extra sugar.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:32:55 am »
I made this today with leftover from lemon/lime cordial.  It tasted really awful I didn't even bother putting it into jars..  It had a nasty bitter taste.  Has anyone had any success with this fruit spread or similar?  I think it is because of the pips/pith, but the original recipe does say not to worry about them... :'(

I've made it twice and both times it has tasted bitter and rather horrid (and had to be thrown out). I used the correct amount of sugar.

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »
I made this jam after having a quick look for a cordial recipe that lead me here.  I was skeptical after reading some of the comments but had nothing to lose.  Well it turned out just great.  It has a good gelling consistency and the flavour is really yummy, like a marmalade. 
I made lemon cordial but for this jam I used the pulp from a cordial made up of one ruby red grapefruit, two oranges, four mandarins and one lemon.  I peeled the skin off the grapefruit which I used but I cut away the pith as I thought it would be too much.
I wouldn't make this jam with just the lemon pulp as I can imagine that would be too bitter but the mixed citrus is a winner.  I am really chuffed as previous jam attempts have been a bit runny.  And this is a great bonus recipe - using stuff that would normally go in the bin!  I actually froze some excess pulp as I didn't have enough sugar so will try using that one day.
Thanks for a great recipe or should I say two recipes!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 02:29:41 pm »
Hi krismakes, welcome to the forum.  You were game trying it with the 50/50 responses - thanks for your review and adding your ideas for a perfect jam.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline krismakes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 06:06:50 am »
Thanks judydawn.  I gave my mum some of my "citrus spread" as I am now calling it and still have another jar in the fridge.  Next time I will look into sterilising the jars so I can keep them in the pantry.  I really like the idea that all the fruit is used as all the fibre must help make up for the sugar surely? Lol.

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 08:00:01 am »
My lemon had a really thick skin and hence pith...  Will try when I am given some thinner skinned lemons.  Ended up preserving the last lot in salt / cinnamon / cloves....  8)

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
Re: Re: Fruit Spread
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:15:20 am »

I have just finished making lemon squash and used some of the left overs for fruit spread taste fine. Really a sweet marmalade be nice in recipes at this time of the year that have marmalade. I used the remainder of the citrus in the lemon cleaning concentrate.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:18 pm »
You have been busy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
I made lemonade yesterday and today.With the leftover pulp I made this fruit spread.
I gave it 17mins/100c/speed1 but it still wasn't thick enough for me,so I gave it 5mins/varoma/ speed 1.All with the MC off and the steaming basket on the lid. It made1 jar.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:46 am »
It's certainly lemonade drinking weather in the UK at the moment CC and a bonus to end up with a jar of lemon spread as well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.