Author Topic: Dehydrators - Does anyone own one?  (Read 4917 times)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
Dehydrators - Does anyone own one?
« on: April 22, 2015, 01:17:52 am »
I'm addicted to beef jerky at the moment so I'm considering buying a dehydrator to make my own. Does anyone own a dehydrator and/or have any experiences with using a dehydrator that would like to share their experiences/advice please? Naturally, I have googled this, but thought I would try this trusted forum as well.

Thanks in advance for any comments :)
From Perth WA

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Dehydrators - Does anyone own one?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:08:32 am »
I don't have one, but it is on my list to buy.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Online Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:04:03 am »
Quite a few people on here have dehydrators, MEP and there is a discussion about them on here somewhere - possibly in the shopping thread.  I am sure Judy will come to the rescue with a cross reference for you :)
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:22:16 am »
I have a dehydrator, my friend who has one the same as me, (Sorry can't remember the brand) tried making beef jerky and it wasn't very successful, being the clever person she is built a beef jerky box and makes it in that, its delicious. she has since built about 3 more boxes, for her family.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:39:03 am by jeninwa »
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:18 am »
Margaret, here's a thread about them with a link to another conversation in one of the replies.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10134.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:10:02 am »
Margaret, I have a Harvest Maid one.  Have had it for about 20 years. I lend it to fiends when they want to dry fruit. I have recently dried apple as it reduces it for storage. I dip the apples in a solution of lemon juice and water to prevent it from going brown.
Friends have tried it for Beef Jerky but thought it too expensive to run for this so also built box.
The Sunbeam one looks similar to mine.
Several members have bought more expensive models but I can't see the value for something that is used only a few times a year.
Will try and attach photo of apples.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:44 am »

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:26:54 am »
Hi, Yes I have one. Mine is an excalibur with 5 trays. I chose this make because the motor is at the back and penetrates right through. Also it is not necessary to keep moving trays around to get an even finish.
I save my dried things in Kilner(mason) jars.  One of my favourites is making savoury and sweet "leathers" whhich is blending a mixture and putting it on a shelf in a pool.  I sometimes grind the leather in the Thermomix for a great tasty base in soups and sauces.  The bad bit is that it can take up to 12 hours to dry out some foods depending on how juicy they are. If you like growing your own foods, it is a very satisfying, dare I say hobby  :) There is some very interesting filmletts on UTube.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:40:32 am »
i have one also had a Harvest Maid for over 20 years and have just bought a new one ezidri, it was fairly expensive but I use it every year, dry Tomatoes and lots of Veggies, love dried fruit, make fruit Leather, i have dried stock and powdered it up in the Thermomix.  i have made Beef Jerky but not for ages, i used Rump steak and marinated it in different flavours, i should make some more now you have mentioned it.   If you love creating your own food, another useful toy. 

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
Thanks for all your replies and thanks for the link Judy.

The apples look good Chookie. We are living in the US at the moment and I really miss Australian dried peaches and apricots (don't care for the Turkish dried apricots). However, I cannot find any dried peaches or apricots  like the Angus Park ones.

I looked at the Excalibur dehydrator but the cheapest is $250. DH would frown on something I might only use a few times.

Jeninwa, I'm interested in the idea of building your own. Can you explain how this would work please? Don't you need constant heat?
From Perth WA

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:01:49 pm »
Thanks for all the links Judy. I have read all of them and they were all very useful. Anyway, I have since done more research and apparently you can dehydrate things using a conventional oven so I'm going to try that first to see how I go before committing to a purchase of a dehydrator. Also looks like the excalibur dehydrators are cheaper in the US than Australia.

Thanks again for everyone's responses. I appreciate it.
From Perth WA