Author Topic: EDC Mushroom Risotto (tweaked)  (Read 8158 times)

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
EDC Mushroom Risotto (tweaked)
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:42:21 am »
I've made this following the EDC book to the letter, but always had to finish it off in a wok as there was a lot of liquid that didn't get absorbed by the rice .. So I decided to tweak it following some of the suggestions on the many other Risotto threads here .. And even used plain old Jasmine rice instead of Arborio as it was all that I had and a quick google told me it would be fine so long as I didn't wash it (reducing it's starch content) prior to cooking ..

*tweaks*
I used 400gm Jasmine Rice, and 900gm water
Apple Juice instead of Wine
- and cooked using the butterfly

At end of cooking I added: (approx) 125gm Fetta, 1/3 bunch fresh Spinach, zest of 1 Lemon, 1 chopped tomato, 2 chopped (green) spring onions
Mixed it for another 5min on  :-:  ^^ and let sit for 5min before serving ..

I'm super happy with the results, and will definitely be making it like this in the future!  Even my 10yr old son who doesn't like spinach or mushroom ate a huge bowl and declared it "yummy"  ;D

~ Clare

Offline Connars nan

• View Profile
Re: EDC Mushroom Risotto (tweaked)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:12:27 am »
Looks super healthy and is making me hungry will have to try this thanks

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »
welcome to the forum Connars nan  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »
I tweaked the original EDC recipe by steaming chicken and asparagus pieces in the Varoma whilst the rice was cooking underneath (as per mcmich's suggestion) and then stirred it though at the end. Delicious.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »
I make this every now and then, and we all really like it. I do cook for 20 minutes though, rather than 16. And I will often add some frozen peas :)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:00 pm »
I add some sautéd  chopped chicken tenderloins and asparagus halfway through  cooking to give a more complete one pot meal. Or omit the asparagus and stir through baby spinach when risotto is in the thermoserver  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:15 pm »
Good ideas MF, thanks :D

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:38 am »
I add some sautéd  chopped chicken tenderloins and asparagus halfway through  cooking to give a more complete one pot meal. Or omit the asparagus and stir through baby spinach when risotto is in the thermoserver  :)

I am going to make chicken and mushroom risotto today based on the recipe in the EDC. I was searching for instructions on how best to incorporate the chicken and found this older post so will do as this post suggests. My question now though is, would it be best not to use the butterfly after the chicken had been added? I do not want to end up with shredded chicken tenderloins.