Author Topic: Pyrex measures are a-changin' and not for the better!  (Read 3284 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Pyrex measures are a-changin' and not for the better!
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »
I noticed this a few days ago in the local kitchen store and intended to post about it but forgot until I was reminded by today's America's Test Kitchen segment.

Pyrex has changed the shape of the glass measures and it makes no sense to me.
They have also added solid red paint around half of the outside, which makes it more difficult to read the levels.

It's not so bad on the larger measures - the 8 cup or 4 cup but for the smaller  1 and 2 cup measures to me they are awkward to use.

They still make a 2 cup that is the traditional shape with straighter sides and red spots to indicate the graduated measurement levels.

I already have a large supply of every size of the traditional Pyrex measures, which I intend to keep using.

If anyone has only one and like the way it works, see if local stores have any of the "old" style still on hand and buy at least one backup.
Otherwise, watch yard sales and thrift stores and pick up what you may need in the future.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

mcmich

Re: Pyrex measures are a-changin' and not for the better!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
I have a few pyrex measuring jugs. I like them because you can put them in the microwave.
Haven't seen any of the new shape yet.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:06 pm »
Andi,  love my Pyrex Jugs,  don't like the new shape at all, although can see why they have changed the shape.  Would get a more accurate measure for small quantities.  Not sure about the red though. 

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:26 pm »
I have one though it doesn't have the silicone lid or on the bottom. When it was almost full and I poured from it, it went everywhere.  It didn't pour like the normal jugs IYKWIM. It put me off using it.  :-\

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
For the past 100 years or so I have been using individual pyrex dishes with pyrex lids.  Sady both are broken. Now I can only find the ones with plastic (or is it silicone?) lids.  please bring back the old ones.  Please also don't break my old measuring jugs - I like them too.
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.